Sign in with
Your question

Hoping to build a custom water cooling loop for i5 2500k/7950

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2012 12:54:14 AM

Hey guys, I'm going to preface things by saying that, while I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about computers in general, I am by no means proficient in liquid cooling rigs. I'm looking to build a custom loop to cool an oc'd (hoping 4.5 max) i5 2500k and an oc'd (hoping 1000gHz) 7950. I know the parts that I need, but settling on anything yet would be a shot in the dark. What parts do I need, how much am I looking to spend (and how much would just cooling the cpu be), and any other suggestions you guys have. Looking at the Switch 810 unless anyone suggests otherwise - I'm not set on anything at this point. Thanks!
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 8:29:03 AM

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum, I work UK nightshifts and will reply later :-)
Sleep beckons
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:54:40 PM

welcome to the wc section :) 

as modo said: might wanna check out the sticky - its in my sig as well. Then you need to determine the cost of your wc'ing venture. $300 will set you with a good setup to include blocks to your gpu later on down the road.

first get a feel for watercooling and post back after having a good read of the sticky.

Note: we could give you a solution off the top of our head but then you'll come back to us when things go bleh :) 
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2012 6:05:12 PM

okay, I've had a good read through the wc sticky, and learned a fair amount about the basics. I'm still not sure if I want to start with just a cpu loop, or a cpu gpu loop (again, 2500k and xfx be 7950 with a switch 810 case), or what tube sizes/pump outputs would be required for each. What would the price difference be between a cpu loop that could be expanded to include the gpu, or going with a straight cpu gpu loop to begin with? Thanks for your patience with dealing with someone who knows very little about watercooling - I know you must get a lot of us, and we all have to start somewhere.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 6:09:05 PM

price of cpu only loop - $300 minus shipping
price of CPU+gpu loop - $300+tubing+waterblock for 7950. but i would ask you to think about your fan setup. heat dissipation, OC'ing goals and the heat the rads can dissipate.

* i was like you... modded an H50 to come this far to WC - once i realized LCS' are bum. So bare with us when we might seem like pricks :) 

** have you narrowed down what you're looking for? might recommend a site for you to window shop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 8:42:24 PM

The biggest thing is going to be your rad space. You'll probably be fine with a good 360mm or 2x240mm rads like the XSPC EX/RX series.

Universal GPU blocks are only $50 or so, which is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, and they work basically as well as full cover blocks.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 9:10:42 PM

I would throw at least 480 worth of radspace at it, Op seems keen on pushing clocks and I love to allow headroom :-)
Moto
m
l
March 5, 2012 9:21:01 PM

A great website for WC supplies is Frozencpu.com
But a list of parts you might need is as follows, with recommendations
Tubing- Thicker tubing looks BA. Also go with anti-microbial tubing, and come up with a color scheme to make your PC look like a beast. $30
Reservoir- I would reccomend a Res/Pump combo to go in your drive bay. They are easy to work with. XSPC makes nice ones. Also check out koolance. They make some sick looking bay reservoirs. For a pump/res: $80-$100. Just res: $30-$100
Pump- If you want to go with an independent pump go with a swiftech. High perf: $80
Radiator- Go with a Black Ice radiator, with high performance fans. Rad+fans: $120
Waterblocks- CPU and GPU go with anything that suits you. $150
Coolant: DO NOT USE WATER! Use distilled water or coolant bought online. Or Freeon :p 
Also you might want to put a silver coil somewhere in the loop to keep it clean.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 9:25:37 PM

not again ...

@ goliath - we just stated that you can't "build" them a loop they need to figure out what they need with respect to their wallets.

frozen is good but a lil overpriced on some dept. FYI - the $300 is the XSPC D5 Raystorm kit. and you don't need coolant. distill and silver are the way to go.

*did you read the sticky before suggesting these?
m
l
March 5, 2012 9:26:41 PM

Whoops. Didn't see that. Thats what you get for being a noob xD.
Sorry :p 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 9:28:16 PM

even more reason to be careful while posting answer... :/ 
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 9:36:42 PM

For CPU only you can save some cash with certain kits. XSPC has the RASA kit which is ok. It comes in a few varieties. A step up from that, quality wise (and a better pump) is the Swiftech Edge kit. The biggest issue with this kit, IMO, is that the pump and res are attached to the rad, so it's a pretty tall rad even for just a 220.

Either way, these kits are composed of the same/similar parts as "custom" loops so you're free to add more blocks and rads to it as you go. Like I said though, I think the basic RASA kit has a bit of a crummy pump. The Swiftech kit has an MCP 35x though which is a really good one. There's also a Swfitech Ultima kit that has separate components.

As for rad space, the 480 suggestion is good. If you have a large case, bigger rads (like 140 or 180mm) are way more efficient and on top of that, large fans are almost always quieter.

Anyway, the sticky has most of the important stuff.
m
l
March 5, 2012 9:41:25 PM

thanks for all the info. I think I might go with one of the swiftech kits, or if I can keep it fairly priced I might go full custom (you never go full custom!). Still thinking it over though, so any extra info would be very appreciated.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 10:01:19 PM

You might be able to find good used parts too. I bought my rad and blocks used at about 50-75% MSRP and they're great.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 10:15:02 PM

give the XSPC raystorm D5 kit on frozen cpu a try. if that isn't custom for ya, check my WC'ing prjkt...

used - yeah, tahs some good deal you got there! but if they actually had a bad run then there's no way to tell. Heck, you could actually use your cars A/C rad for a fun WC'ing prjkt anyway and avoid the rad issue, provided its all copper construction.

WC'ing is tailor made to fit each individual tastes.
e.g:an issue to one person, with the swiftech's pump/res/rad being attached, can be useful for another. external mount or compact minimalist approach-wise.

While we all agree the X20 pump on the original rasa kit is crap - though for that 300 you get more than you bargain for. enough space to add raddage and more blocks.

for 125 on the rasa, you'll eventually want more after the first bite. so you do yourself a big favor by going with the raystorm kit in the end.

but hey, there's always custom :D 
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 10:50:23 PM

I disagree on the X20 comment, as you know I love mine and am Grabbing another one for my loop, but I agree the D5 is a solid and preferable option,
Grab the D5 rasa kit and that allows you expansion in the future :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 10:56:51 PM

you mean D5 Raystorm kit :D 
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 11:36:39 PM

Aye, that one, :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 11:38:25 PM

shiver me timbers! aarrrr!
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 4:56:51 PM

Yes, that is a nice starter, it will do you until you feel the need to expand, and allow you to do so with a minimum of upgrading 'old' parts later
Moto
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:02:07 PM

Thanks! that's what I think I'm going to go with for now, but I won't be ordering it for a couple of weeks. The feedback was very helpful btw.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 5:05:31 PM

Yeah, that's the one with the D5 pump...good choice.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 5:06:05 PM

No problem, its what we're here for (we secretly like W/c as well though :p )
Moto
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 5:10:32 PM

I still find it funny you likened this forum to a watercooling addict support group.

Truth is often stranger than fiction.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 5:11:30 PM

something about water that cool us down... :) 
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:16:25 PM

Hi, my name is Xmod5001, and I'm a watercooler.
I just started watercooling a couple days ago, but its already taken over my life.
It seems like every waking moment of my life is spent 'cooling, 'clocking, or working my arse off to get that next loop.
I don't want to stop, but I have to. I don't want to see my life go down the drain for faster speeds, or lower temp's.
I'll admit, it's been a great, coolant induced run, but it's over now. It's over.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 5:23:57 PM

said the sober man with watercooling goggles :p 
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:28:38 PM

Just get closed loop for your CPU and aftermarket air cooler for your VGA and you should be set. But if you want to continue watercooling build yourself a water cooling tower so you can cool multiple PCs or add as many loops as you want. ( Just what I have done. I'm cooling my and my wifes PC with same water tower) My next project will be putting that tower in a wall ( a drywall) and sound proofing it so I won't hear anything except my mouse clicks :) 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 6:28:50 PM

might want to start a thread how you did it?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 6:32:00 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I still find it funny you likened this forum to a watercooling addict support group.

Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Likened it to?

@Xmod,
Hi, my name is Xmod5001, and I'm a watercooler.
I just started watercooling a couple days ago, but its already taken over my life. (It does that....)
It seems like every waking moment of my life is spent 'cooling, 'clocking, or working my arse off to get that next loop. (good method, keep it up :p )
I don't want to stop, but I have to. I don't want to see my life go down the drain for faster speeds, or lower temp's. (If life goes down drain, use drain as another res and feed the loop back through :) )
I'll admit, it's been a great, coolant induced run, but it's over now. It's over (Over? Hmm, see we shall,Hrummph)
hehe,
Moto
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 6:33:39 PM

Compared? Or are you implying that there isn't any kind of inference taking place...it's reality.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 6:35:47 PM

Yup, I'm just calling it what it is Bro :) 
We gather to discuss our addiction and instead of managing it, end up going ott on plans hehe :) 
like an A.A. meeting going to a pub :p 
wouldn't change a thing though...
Moto
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 6:37:00 PM

Most evenings while at home, I am posting on here while drinking a few beers.

I wonder what that qualifies as...?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 6:38:09 PM

Multi-tasking :) 
:) 
Moto
m
l
!