Hello, I wasnt able to update adobe reader for permissions problems & followed steps I researched to enter in safe mode and continue that way. I went to the whole 'Progam Files' folder and changed some permissions but now having problems with other programs.
Can I use System Restore in safe mode to revert back to the origional settings? It is currently one of the problems now and wont retore. ...yikes!! I always go too far
There are also sooo many different users? We have two home computers, this one using a wireless router.
You may use the SubInACL tool to reset the default registry and file permissions in Windows XP Home Edition. Download and then install Subinacl.exe. Microsoft SubinACL is a command-line tool that enables administrators to obtain security information about files, registry keys, etc.
All you need to do is:
1. download and install Subinacl.exe,
2. download reset.cmd script,
3. execute reset.cmd and wait a minute or two for it to reset the default security permissions.
If the problem persists; (still unable to update Adobe Reader):
1. disable System Restore from Control Panel > System> System Restore> uncheck the box.
2. Next disable all startup programs. To do this: click Start\Run\type "msconfig" no quotes and hit Enter. Click on the startup tab, and uncheck all applications except for the antivirus, following click on the Services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft Services" uncheck to disable third party services, except for the antivirus service/s. Click Apply and OK.
3. Next scan your system for virus,
4. Next delete all temp files using CCleaner,
5. and next run a malware application such as Malwarebytes Antimalware,
6. and next run the reset.cmd script.
7. If the default security permissions are reset correctly (if you're able to update Adobe reader), enable System Restore checking the box in Control Panel > System > System Restore, and check necessary applications and services (if any) in msconfig