Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 7800 gtx problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 9, 2009 8:59:16 AM

Hello, I have a sort of strange problem.

After a powerfailure my computer seems to be somehow busted, in a very strange way.

I can watch a movie, or several movies and nothing happens, but as soon as I start World of Warcraft it chrashes, the screen goes really funky with colors (and its freezes).

The only way to get it back is to reboot the computer. and then I am lily to have to do that a few times before the screen gets any information from the graphic card at all (screen goes black and into powersaving mode)
November 9, 2009 10:26:43 AM

Seems like a weak GPU.....u may also want to check the ram for faults.....
a b Î Nvidia
November 9, 2009 10:33:11 AM

I would replace the card unless if you were to clean out the dust and run the fan at max.
Related resources
November 9, 2009 11:18:08 AM

A small update, it seems that it is when i try to run a game (have tried WoW and fallout 3) that the computer is most liklt to chrash on me, i could hovever see movies in media player, surf the webb and such without any problems.

Now i am repairing windows XP and see if it makes any difference, if not ill format the drive and try to rebuild from scratch
November 9, 2009 11:58:22 AM

Try the graphics card first. It sounds more like a hardware problem than a software issue--reformatting your hard drive is probably a waste of time.
It could also be your power supply, perhaps if there was a surge when the power problem happened. The PSU might be failing when you draw enough power from it (ie, under load in games and HD playback).
November 9, 2009 2:03:33 PM

I am thinking the same, it feels more hardware related than software, the strange thing is how it manifest itself.

When i start the computer there is often the case that the powerup doesnt start at all (doesnt find keyboard, screen goes into powersave mode and so on), but if I restart a few times it goes as it should. Then I can browse the web, and basicly do anything with the computer (write, use media player, download, update, read mails etc) with one big exception.

I cant start any real games (small games as minefield and flashbased ones on the web is no problem) I can start them and gets about 2 min playtime before screen freezes (looks like it takes a strip of paint about 5mm hight and 2 cm long, and paints it all over again all over screen)

Its just my mind, but if it was power and/or Graphic cards should it always behave the same way (give me 2 min of movie and then freeze)?

Ill hold on the formatation of the drive, and will be most happy if i never have to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas, hopefully someone can give me a hint, i can not be the first one with this problem.
!