Sign in with
Your question

Installing swiftech pump

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:08:26 AM

I am setting up my water cooling system. My pump has a 4 pin molex connector and what looks like a fan connector. The fan connector only has 1 blue wire on it. Not sure if I should just connect to a fan port on my mobo or what. Also my mobo has places for cpu, chassis, and optional fans. What would I plug my radiator fans into. My mobo is the asus maximus extreme IV-Z. Still new to water cooling.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:37:43 AM

Whats the model of your pump? I'm almost certain its a monitor/rpm thing but can't check without knowing the model,
radfans can either go into a fancontroller (popular choice) or straight to the psu, but they will then be at 100% speed all the time, I don't know of anyone that has radfans running off the motherboard
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 9:47:18 AM

Quote:
Whats the model of your pump? I'm almost certain its a monitor/rpm thing but can't check without knowing the model,

That would be my guess too.

Quote:
radfans can either go into a fancontroller (popular choice) or straight to the psu, but they will then be at 100% speed all the time, I don't know of anyone that has radfans running off the motherboard

I run a few of mine off my motherboard, but only because I want them running @ 100%. I'm actually switching to lower noise fans (bought the 4 pack of Cooler Master fans that are 19 dBA @ 43 CFM for $12) rather than a controller simply because it's cheaper.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2012 12:16:34 PM

The fans I have use a twister bearing so they are silent at any speed. I got the pump mod kit from frozen cpu with the adjustible pump. I dont have a fan controller yet so I just have them hooked into the mobo right now. I cant plug my fans into the psu right now as it has no hook ups for fans since its modular. It has 8 molex connectors though. All my fans have the white end with 3 pins instead of 4. I will get a fan controller later as I already spent $4‚000 on it.
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 12:33:00 PM

What pump is it? MCP35x has native PWM, but you mentioned a mod kit? Can you link so we know what hardware?
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:52:40 PM

MCP655 pump with variable speed. Cant do links as I am still building my pc. Using my vita to post here.
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 12:56:16 PM

I don't think it's PWM, but it could be. Most D5's with variable speed simply have a dial on the back of the housing which requires it to be manually adjusted. I think Koolance had a version of the D5 that was supposed to be pump controller enabled, but my guess is that 3-pin is for monitoring. If the 3-pin has 2-3 wires coming from it, I would say it's PWM, but if it is only 1 wire on a 3-pin header, I would say its monitoring and would also still need a molex connection (which is what I have seen on many).
m
l
March 5, 2012 1:13:58 PM

So I dont really need to plug that in to make it work then.
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 1:15:34 PM

Can you link to the actual pump you purchased? I really can't tell you for sure until I know which exact one you have.
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 1:53:11 PM

Dang, you went bling on that sucker. It doesn't show the connector ends, so it's hard to say for sure. I'm still guessing it is only a monitoring wire vs. actual PWM as it mentions having a molex connector.
m
l
March 5, 2012 2:02:44 PM

Is there a difference between the power, cpu, chassis, and optional fan connectors on my mobo? I have 3 fans on my rad for now but plan to add 3 more on it. I have 2 fans on the back for either exhaust or to pull air in. Should I have the fans pull air in or push air out through rad. I have the 800d case. Also have a fan on the bottom pulling qir from bottom. Is there a way to tell which way a fan blows without turning them on.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 3:04:04 PM

its a monitoring wire - it should be, since its only one wire from pump. i have the same wire only in yellow on my AMS D5 unit
m
l
March 5, 2012 3:54:20 PM

Figured out which way the fans blow now. Still need to know the differance of the fan connectors. like does one type stay on all the time or do some shut off randomly.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:00:28 PM

Most of the mobo fan connectors are 100% on all the time. I'm not sure about the "optical fan connectors" - I don't know if I've seen those before.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:06:24 PM

Quote:
Still need to know the differance of the fan connectors. like does one type stay on all the time or do some shut off randomly.
whats your mobo make and model?

Quote:
I'm not sure about the "optical fan connectors" - I don't know if I've seen those before.
i have them on my asus rampage extreme x48 mobo.

apparently most asus boards have them
Quote:
Is there a way to tell which way a fan blows without turning them on.
its kinda like the right hand rule only the current will be going down.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:08:56 PM

Huh. Never owned an Asus board. I wonder what they are/what qualifies as an "optical fan"
m
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:18:08 PM

Quote:
Huh. Never owned an Asus board. I wonder what they are/what qualifies as an "optical fan"

Visible ones...just in case you also might run invisible fans. Otherwise, I'm thinking they are fans for 3D glasses to keep them from fogging on the insides, similar to paintball goggles or scuba goggles.

Disclaimer- this post is purely satire.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:35:56 PM

:lol:  just saw the typo by the OP, i have "optional fans" labelled on my mobo ... silly me :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:45:18 PM

Ohhhhh....makes much more sense as "optional"...
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:47:31 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

Visible ones...just in case you also might run invisible fans. Otherwise, I'm thinking they are fans for 3D glasses to keep them from fogging on the insides, similar to paintball goggles or scuba goggles.

Disclaimer- this post is purely satire.

Invisible fans? Sounds like I'm out of a job lol, no more wires to hide.......
:p 
Nice pump Op, all sorted on the monitoring wire then?
and as your psu is modular, you know you just run adaptors from the molex to the fans? or,
if you are adding fans at the rate I am, buy several fan controllers, plug the 3pins into them and plug a molex into the fan controller
:) 
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:48:47 PM

:lol: 
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:51:42 PM

counted up for the radbox project Lutfij,
grand total??
30 spinning things on my rig, and I'm restraining myself by possibly having one rad passive lol
:) 
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:02:45 PM

1080 Phobya/Mo-Ra2?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:08:39 PM

Nope, two EX480's and possibly a hwlabs gtx360 (find out tomorrow if I am getting that)
the GTx will be passive if I do get it
Moto
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:10:32 PM

build log on the way?
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:12:58 PM

Of course :) 
I'll also be doing a cable management guide at same time whilst Rigs in pieces so once I have the necessary funds/parts here its going to be all go hehe,
picked up a slab of 1200x1000x20 mdf from work for free so thats the box part sorted, just money now..
payday 20th
Sorry Op for threadjacking :) 
Moto
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:54:17 PM

How common is it to get a bad fan when ordering them? Got everything done now and just making sure nothing leaks. One of the 120mm rad fans doesnt turn on at all no matter where I connect it. Sorry for typos, typing this on a PS Vita and I got big fingers.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 6:59:15 PM

usually very often - 1 in a 100 or so.

does it work when power by a psu via molex to 2 pin header?
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:06:05 PM

I got connecters that converts it to molex but even that doesn't work.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 7:24:29 PM

then, they be dead matey!
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:55:19 PM

FrozenCpu said they will send me a new one when I send the dead one back. Only got 2 fans on my rad for now. In the next few weeks I will get a fan controller and maybe a 5.25 storage bay.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 7:56:47 PM

Aarr, dead it be, no use to man nor beast, except maybe if you gut it you can use the housing as a shroud,
I'd just rma it though :-)
Moto
m
l
March 5, 2012 10:34:17 PM

The thing I like about these fans are that the blades come off for easier cleaning. Not to mention they are silent when idle so far.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 10:40:06 PM

You using Gelid fans? About 8 months in and still silent here :-)
Moto
m
l
March 7, 2012 6:23:05 AM

I am using enermax twister bearing fans. They are supposed to be the quietest and brightest of all led fans. I will post some pics in the members gallery later to show it off.
m
l
!