Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive spinup problem?

Last response: in Storage
September 20, 2011 12:42:58 AM

My hardrive is really starting to annoy me. here, let me give you the backstory first.
I recently decided to pull the trigger, and I bought an ssd. I installed windows on it, but now my storage drive, that I used before I got the ssd, is giving me issues. Before I put in my ssd, my drive would spin up, every time. I had no issues.

After the install however, the drive only spins up 1 in 5 times. Im not ready to say the drive is dead yet, because it does spin up occasionally. Am i doing something wrong? Ive plugged it into the sata power cord, and Ive used the molex to sata power adapter. Same results both times.

Some times, the drive wont spin up, but it will actually start making a clicking sound.

Both of my other two sata devices are working as normal, so I dont think its a psu issue.

Is it fixable?
a b G Storage
September 20, 2011 12:59:23 AM

You should run the manufacturer of the suspect hard drive diagnostic software which is downloadable from their web site. This will tell you if the hard drive is on its way out or not.
m
l
a c 117 G Storage
September 20, 2011 3:05:30 PM

Clicking sound is almost always a bad drive, replace it. It may be a low power issue to the drive also, I have seen USB drives click and not be detected if the USB port does not give enough power to the drive. Try removing the other secondary drives and try a new power connection.
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
September 21, 2011 8:38:23 PM

What do you mean by "click"?

A clicking sound is normally associated with the movement of the heads across the platters. Therefore a drive that doesn't spin up won't click.

Are you perhaps referring to a soft buzzing sound or vibration, as if the drive has a seized motor or a stiction fault (heads stuck to platters)?
m
l
!