Sign in with
Your question

8gb DDR2-800 + ASUS P5N-E SLI

Last response: in Memory
April 28, 2010 8:03:27 PM

I'm running 8gb of OCZ2N800SR4GK, DDR2-800 on a ASUS P5N-E SLI with a Q6600. Unfortunately, I am unable to get all 4 sticks to run @ 800mhz and have had to clock them down to get them all to run simultaneously, currently running them at ~710mhz.

I've done some reading, and it seems like there's a possibility of adjusting voltages to maybe fix this problem. As I am not an expert on BIOs, I was hoping I could get some advice.

General tweeking is a pain in the ass too, because a screw up leads to just a black screen, and means I have to pull a stick for the system to post.

Thanks in advance for the advice. If you need more system info, let me know.
a c 163 } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 29, 2010 1:32:34 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

It's not a complicated process, just enter to the BIOS, go to advance settings and look for the DRAM voltage, set this to the recomended of your RAM, save and exit.
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:14:55 PM

The specs are giving the RAM 2.1v. The closest setting the bios has is 2.178v. and setting it there is causing Win7 to crash on load, BUT the machine does get through the post. At lower voltage settings, along with it's auto setting, the system gets stuck at posting. I played a little with the timing also, setting it specifically at 5-4-4-15, trying both t1 and t2, but no luck. Back to 700mhz for now....

Thanks again for the advice and sorry it took me a but to get back to ya. Looking forward to any other ideas you might have.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 13, 2010 2:36:05 PM

Drace said:
I'm running 8gb of OCZ2N800SR4GK, DDR2-800 on a ASUS P5N-E SLI with a Q6600. Unfortunately, I am unable to get all 4 sticks to run @ 800mhz and have had to clock them down to get them all to run simultaneously, currently running them at ~710mhz.

I've done some reading, and it seems like there's a possibility of adjusting voltages to maybe fix this problem. As I am not an expert on BIOs, I was hoping I could get some advice.

General tweeking is a pain in the ass too, because a screw up leads to just a black screen, and means I have to pull a stick for the system to post.

Thanks in advance for the advice. If you need more system info, let me know.

I have the same board, and have tried several brands of 800mhz DDR2. So far, I have not found any that are stable at 800MHZ when all four slots are populated. If you find any that works, I'll be thrilled to know. Good luck. Got my fingers crossed for you (us).
m
l
May 14, 2010 3:40:20 PM

clutchc said:
I have the same board, and have tried several brands of 800mhz DDR2. So far, I have not found any that are stable at 800MHZ when all four slots are populated. If you find any that works, I'll be thrilled to know. Good luck. Got my fingers crossed for you (us).

:??:  that's not good to hear.... What've you been doing? Underclocking the RAM too?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 14, 2010 4:18:20 PM

Drace said:
:??:  that's not good to hear.... What've you been doing? Underclocking the RAM too?

I took the lazy way out. I replaced 2 of the 2GB 800mhz sticks with 2 1GB 667mhz sticks temporarily until I can find something that works. The board will default to the slower 667mhz speed for all 4 sticks. But I'm using the faster RAM's timings. I've got a post on the Asus forum hoping someone has found RAM that works.

Btw, that OCZ RAM you are using is one I tried too. I got 4 2GB sticks of the 800mhz stuff laying on the shelf with the rest of the failed RAM. I could have bought a new board for what I've spent in RAM. Corsair's Value Select RAM seems to be the least unstable in this board for me.
m
l
May 19, 2010 4:45:55 PM

Bump. Anyone else have an idea?
m
l
!