Sign in with
Your question

Dual channel BSOD, Single channel working.. Fix before OC?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2012 2:50:19 PM

Hello, first time poster and first attempt at an OC. I normally check stickies, do searches, and lurk moar until I can find what I am looking for but I am going to assume that differen't set ups might require differen't fixes catered to specs. So:

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 Wolfsdale @ 3.00 GHz (x9 Mod @ 333)
Asetek Liquid Cooling - Not sure on model but its roughly 3 years old
MSI MS-7380 P7N SLI nForce 750i MoBo ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
Kingston 1GB x 4 DDR2 800 ValueRAM ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
nVidia GTX 260 VGA
NZXT PP-600 600w PSU ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
American Megatrends, Inc BIOS v2.2

I've read a lot of guides for overclocking the e8400 and read it can hit over 4.2 GHz in an OC. Firstly just wondering if from what it looks like I have that would be attainable. Secondly I'm having the following problem before I have even adjusted any clocks:

Problem:
I've ran 4gb of those afore mentioned RAM cards for about 3 years without problems, after installing the new drivers for my GTX260 I am unable to run all 4 cards without getting BSOD (Memory_Management, Bad_Pool_Header, IRQL_Not_Less_Equal, and some that are blank). I can run single channel with 2GB and Memtest, Prime95 without problems, if I run 2GB in Dual Channel mode, its instant BSOD on startup and errors through Memtest.

I reset the CMOS, loaded Fail-Safe from F11 installed all the up to date drivers for MoBo, VGA, BIOS. I've got CPU-Z, ClockGen, SpeedFan ready to go for my failhard attempt at noobing through an overclock.

Should I attempt to resolve this issue with my Dual Channel not seeming to work before I try?
Would it be a better investment to buy better RAM such as 2 x 2GB sticks 1033 and use Single Channel?
Do I have no idea what I am doing and in for a world of frustration and headache?
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:08:56 PM

You should ALWAYS start OCing a system from a stable baseline. That being said, make sure everything is running at stock speeds to begin the troubleshooting process.

Further, I would recommend you focus on OCing the CPU and GPU, but NOT the memory. Any gains you achieve with OCed RAM are (and often are) often outweighed by stability issues. Besides OCed memory provides the least bang for your buck anyway.

m
l
March 5, 2012 4:26:53 PM

Yes, I plan on doing the OC through the FSB which is default set at 1333 MHz through my BIOS. The question I had was will only having 2gb of DDR2 RAM in Single Channel limit my abilities to get to a very high CPU clock or are the two irrevelant of each other.

Also, I am running Windows 7 32-bit.. would reinstalling the OS maybe fix the BSOD I am getting when running Dual Channel?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 4:41:26 PM

The single vs. dual channel issue will not be resolved by re-installing Windows. This is a hardware issue between the motherboard and the memory itself.

Some systems have trouble when running all 4 DIMM slots populated and it can require a slight up-tick in the voltage setting for the memory in order to maintain stability.

Also, the difference between single and dual channel is not nearly as large as you might think. The end result in performance difference (in terms of memory) is in the 10-15% range.

Is your memory manually configured or set to AUTO in your BIOS?
m
l
March 5, 2012 5:51:06 PM

After reseting the CMOS its all back to AUTO.. Do I need to adjust the timing manually and up the voltage from the PSU to the DIMM slots to utilize all 4 RAM sticks without getting those BSOD errors I am getting?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 5:55:55 PM

I would leave the memory timings at stock and only up the memory (0.1 volt at a time) to get stabilzed.
m
l
March 5, 2012 6:07:28 PM

Ok, at work but I will try that when I get home. According to the link for my RAM in OP, the voltage says 1.8V... Should I start with that basepoint and put in all 4 sticks then proceed to up the 0.1 until it can sit at desktop without BSOD like its been doing? Or up it by 0.1 until it can run Prime95 for a while?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 6:34:17 PM

Start at the rated level and tweak from there. Use Prime95 to verify stability.

BTW, have you run memtest on the DIMMs to make sure they are all "good"?
m
l
March 5, 2012 7:43:58 PM

Yes, ran Memtest86 on each 1GB RAM stick in Slot 1 for 4 passes each
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 8:06:43 PM

DonovanJames said:
Yes, ran Memtest86 on each 1GB RAM stick in Slot 1 for 4 passes each

try every slot not just every stick. it could be a slot thats bad not a stick.
m
l
March 6, 2012 4:36:01 AM

I dropped all the voltages and timings to auto/load fail-safe defaults and ran Memtest86+

Test1: DIMM 1+2+3+4 (1GB) sticks -- Errors
Test2: DIMM 1+2 -- Ran for 4 passes no errors
Test3: DIMM 3+4 -- Ran for 4 passes no errors
Test4: DIMM 1+3 -- Errors
Test5: DIMM 2+4 -- Errors

I am currently running the computer on just 2GB RAMM in slots 3+4... I have had one problem where my screen stalled and flickered then in the bottom right near clock I got a message saying the "Display driver 295.73 - WHQL has stopped responding and recovered"
m
l
!