Help.. cpu idles at 85-93c

gundam007

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
My first time building a pc.., my cpu is a G620, but from what speedfan and hwmonitor is showing.., it's showing that my cpu is idling at 93 degree celcius... The PC has not shut down even once, but it's scary after I found out about the cpu. Also I think it's also showing that the motherboard was at 63 degrees celcius.

What's the right way to install the stock cpu fan.., I have no idea how you can get it to click.. I just bought some new artic silver thermal paste, but im not even sure if that will help =\

I dont understand.., the CPUtin reads at 93c

But the G620 cpu reads

36c on core #0
31c on core #1
36c on package

What does this mean, is my cpu overheating?

Well.., I just redid the thermal paste with artic silver 5 and the cputin is still at 93c

My AUXTin is at 59-61 c..

But core #0, #1 and package is at around 31-35 c

Solution
false alarm, hwmonitor reports some bogus reads and that's well known

here's my example:
hX7wc.png

all you need to care for are temps listed under your cpu tab

gundam007

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I actually had it on for 4 hours straight, and it seems fine... No hot air blowing out either, doesn't make any sense :(

I tried hwmonitor, and speedfan, they're both saying my cpu is at 93c, msi afterburn only shows my gpu temp. But I guess I'll try that too.

gundam007

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
@Soda-88

Oh wow you're right, I started doing a google search and found out that alot of other people were having the same problem as well. I finally found out the right button to go into asus bios, and the temps looked more normal. Cpu seems to idle around 40-41c and the motherboard being around 27c in the asus bios. I think 40c is still kind of high for cpu idle. When I ran a video at max screen, the temps actually dropped... Maybe still needs the thermal paste to break in before it has full effect.., but I'll be keeping my eyes on it.

Edit: Sucks how I applied new thermal paste for nothing.., but I guess the temps does seem better then the stock thermal paste.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
intel's stock coolers are whack, usually adding unnecessary 15-20°C in most cases compared to performance coolers mainly due to lack of heatpipes

i've got scythe yasya w/ arctic cooling mx-3 paste and i'm running 4ghz idle @ ~30-40°C as you can see, and 60-75°C (depending on room temperature) under full stress in linx

gundam007

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Wow, Guess that makes sense, thanks for all the help :)