Sign in with
Your question

Hyper 212 Evo on ASRock Ex3 Gen3 with 4x RAM using 120mm slim?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2012 6:57:04 PM

Would the Cooler Master 212 Evo on an ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 mobo allow enough clearing to use all 4 memory slots? If not I was thinking of using a slimline 120mm fan instead of the stock, would ths even work? I'm getting tired of buying heatsinks that overlap if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have this setup or advice.
Thanks.
a c 286 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 7:13:09 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

That depends of your RAM, if it'w low profile you can install it without problems but if it's high profile you will have problems.
March 5, 2012 11:01:28 PM

saint19 said:
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

That depends of your RAM, if it'w low profile you can install it without problems but if it's high profile you will have problems.

Thanks!

Do you know what the measurements are of space under the 212 Evo? I ditched the Corsair Vengeance because I knew I would get this problem eventually and I thought of using G-Skill which is recommended highly, according to what I can find out:

Vengeance: 5.3cm H
RipJaws: 4cm H

Still 1cm taller than usual though. :( 
Related resources
March 5, 2012 11:30:12 PM

The CM coolers allow you to slide the fans up on the heat sink so you can fit all the ram on the board with a minor adjustment to fan on that side of the heat sink.

I've parked some Gskill Sniper ram under one of these before so it's pretty ram friendly. like everyone said low profile ram is safest way to go, most likely no adjustment needed.
March 5, 2012 11:40:30 PM

My 212 fits my in my ASrock motherboard.
And my RAm Heatsinks are pretty big, its very close, about half a millimeter.
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 12:08:19 AM

I have a setup like the OP and moderately tall RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-8GBXL I believe I have 0.125" clearance. I actually measured it.
It fits under the heat sink barely but it can be uninstalled/installed without removing the Hper 212. Since the HSF is spring loaded on the front of the MB, there's just enough to move the heat sink slightly upward enough to slide the Ram underneath. After that, seating it is no problem. That pic from Naota looks about right.
March 6, 2012 4:01:48 PM

i have the same MB and same cooler on another build. I have corsair vengence 16gb ram and they are pretty huge. I just slid up the fan very little but everything fits in fine. The heatsink on one of the ram dimms touches the fan but is so slight it doesn't even cause any vibration or problems. PLus gets the air flowing across the ram sticks to cool them down.
a b K Overclocking
October 8, 2012 1:30:01 AM

i also have problems with this i have a 212 evo and gskill sniper 1866 , my fan wouldn't clear my ram so my fan is slid up the heatsink about 1/4 inch to barley clear the ram, it confuses me because every one told me that low profile ram would fit under it
!