pentium d 2.8 ghz
2gb ram
320gb HDD
intel mobo
i-ball smps 400w

CPU is getting heated up and den PC shutsdown
the next start up it says "previous shut down was due to thermal overheating"
temp reaches 80℃-85℃

this prob is started recently without any change in hardwares.

step already taken:
1. re-assembled every thing.
2.bios restoreted to default.
3.tried to re-install OS but pc is continuously shutting down.
4.changed SMPS.

thanks for ur help.

In the steps taken you say Reassembled everything - does that include at some point having removed the Heatsink from the CPU ?? - IF so you need to clean the old thermal paste off and put new thermal paste in its place otherwise there will not be a good thermal layer bond from the CPU to the heatsink because air will get trapped between the 2 layers and therefore the heatsink will not remove enough heat from the CPU and it will overheat !!

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Sorry if this seems like a silly question (but depending on a closed windowless case you might not see it) is your heat sink's fan working? Have you observed it spinning during operation?

How long into running pc after boot up does it overheat, are you playing a game, what is cpu utilization at the time of shut down, any patterns?

Is the case exhausted well enough?

akiakshay

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
fan is cleant by removing plastic and alumin part separetely,and fixed properly 4 pins are tight .

fans sppinning are proper.

shutdown is just after 1mins without starting any applications,so can't install OS also.

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Im sorry to make you repeat but I cant be sure what you mean in this quote, i see no mention of reapplying the thermal compound on the base of the heatsink when placing it back onto the pentium d. like described in the previous quote above. The most recent quote of yours is this "fan is cleant by removing plastic and alumin part separetely,and fixed properly 4 pins are tight." Do i take this to mean you removed the fan from the heatsink but not the aluminum heatsink itself, so it never left contact with the pentium d?

A shutdown within 1 minute of startup is relatively fast but not immediate. So it is a gradual increase in temp until the critical temperature is reached.

1. Double checked the BIOS settings like vcore even though it is default?

2. Do you have another mobo you can swap in for an alternate test?

3. Try removing the heatsink and fan, clean the pentium d and the base of the heatsink with 90% isopropyl alcohol or higher, reapply the thermal compound as described in forums on Toms Hardware, and see if that changes anything.

If you removed the aluminum part then you ruined the thermal paste that was originally sealing the aluminum piece to your CPU - and you need to clean the old thermal paste off of both the CPU and the Aluminum Piece - otherwise small air particles will get in between the CPU and the aluminum piece which causes heat to build up in the CPU since air is not a good conductor of heat !! - go get a tube of thermal paste and follow the instructions for putting it on and the error will go away !!