pdw

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Well my brain is melting been trying to understand how to build a computer for the last few days, there is thousands of motherboards is crazy! As you can tell very new at this only ever purchased the already built ones before, so would be great if one of you experienced guys could take a look at what i came up with just to make sure its all gonna fit together and work properly. The idea was a cheap'ish computer that is able to do most things and could put some new bits in later on as technology moves on.

I was looking around and people seem to say this one is the best motherboard with the socket i need for the processor and seems to be good value:

MSI 790FX-GD70 Motherboard ( AMD 790FX, AM3, PCI-E, DDR3) - MSI COMPUTER

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core Processor - 3.20 GHz,8MB Cache,Socket AM3,125W,45 nm,3 Year Warranty,Retail Boxed - AMD

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM - Western Digital OEM

Antec Three Hundred Gaming Tower Case (EU) (THREE_HUNDRED_EU) - Antec

Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Bare - Sony Media And Recording

XFX/ATI Radeon HD 4550 1024MB PCI-E 2.0 VGA/HDTV/Dual-Link DVI Graphics Card - XFX

Colors 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply

Corsair XMS3 TwinX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

So what im wondering is if the graphics card ok and gonna fit? Is that gonna be enough power for it? And fans, i know theres a couple of extra slots not sure which ones to get would just like it to be nice n quiet.

Thanks.

Solution
first of all go for a western digital black edition, they are much faster....

secondly go for a 5 series video card they are next gen and direct x 11. No point going for DX 10 when they are being sent to pastures new.

Tend go go for a little bit juicier powersupply, a 650 will have plenty of head room for anything in the future.

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
this computer can be called a "high end" on the market. there should be no problem but i think your payed too much on your motherboard since you don't crossfire or something and motherboard is really not significant when it comes to performance. you can pick a $100 motherboard from a reliable brand and that's it. i don't know the usage of the computer but if you do gaming your video card is really too weak. and if you think that's enough go get an 512mb or 256 mb version and save a few bucks because 4550 is really too weak to fill even 512 mb of frame buffer. really no point to get the 1GB one.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
first of all go for a western digital black edition, they are much faster....

secondly go for a 5 series video card they are next gen and direct x 11. No point going for DX 10 when they are being sent to pastures new.

Tend go go for a little bit juicier powersupply, a 650 will have plenty of head room for anything in the future.

Solution