What's wrong with nvidia?

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
amd's radeon 5970 will relase in next few day. we still haven't see and sign of fermi(or 300 whatever...). that doesn't seem like what nvidia used to be. are they seriously in trouble or what? is gddr5/40nm fabrication really that harsh to them?

we need competition!!!! :fou:

No, they are not in serious trouble, yet. The thing you have to realize is that these things were set in motion months and years ago, and over that period of time things inevitably go wrong and delay the launch of the card. At this point, there is nothing they can do to speed it up. All they can do is work hard on it and get it out ASAP. And really, back in the 'good ole days' GPU manufacturers would constantly switch 'places' in the GPU race. Perhaps, after years of having the top card, NVidia is in for a bad cycle? Only NVidia knows whether that is true. If their next desktop card (whatever they call it now) comes out around the new year and is awesome, this will all be forgotten. If it flops, it will hold a place in our hearts like the 2900XT and the many 'late and poor' cards before it.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
And when NVidia takes the crown again with their latest offering, th question will pop up, "What's wrong with AMD?"

Both companies are trying to survive, cut costs, eek out a profit in a world economy experiencing a downturn. Now that consumers have less to spend for fancy GPUs, neither AMD or NVidia will waste money pumping out GPUs every quarter just for the sake of appearing to competitive or for the sake of always being on top of the GPU race.

To answer your question, there is nothing with Nvidia or AMD for that matter.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

yeah...that reminds me of geforce fx 5800 ultra and radeon 2900xt 2 of worst card in industry..

Yeah, a real dud of a card really only knocks them out of the race for a release or two. After the 2900, ATI had what should have been the 2900 (3800) and then the quite awesome 4800, and now 5800. They are moving along at a fairly decent and predictable clip.

However, while we're looking back, the 2900 was not really that much of a flop when compared to its predecessors, only did it look terrible when compared to the 8800. So the questions for fermi are 'is it average, above, or below?' and 'will it be out soon enough to be part of this generation?'

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

I love competition and I wouldn't mind usign another nVidia GPU, but I hope they take awhile to release anything that can compete with the 5000 series. This is because I would like them to have to stop this anti-competitve BS that is hurting us the consumers (Batman and ATI + nVidia PhysX anyone?).

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
NVidia is being more ambitious than ATI with the current rev of cards and it's causing delays. Not really unexpected, but being what looks like 4 months behind ATI is unexpected.

If the NVidia cards are as good as or better than the ATI cards given the same retail prices, they'll be OK. If they're not, then they may be in trouble. We probably won't know the performance numbers until around Christmas at the earliest.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Simple answer.

Nvidia are being run by PR rather than engineers.

Same as Intel during the P 4 era - GHz rules... we need GHz... GHz sells... Oh wait a minute - why is that K8 at half the speed doing things three times as quick?!?!