Need help overclocking

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
i am planning to overclock my amd phemon ii x6 1090t to 4.0ghz and yes, i am a first timer. I have read guides by 4ryan6 but im just only confusing myself. i want to know how to determine my voltage and stuff when my cpu is at 4.0 ghz.

Solution
Go into your BIOS and increase the CPU multiplier to the point where you end up with the 4Ghz mark.

I would start by leaving your voltage settings alone. ( in "auto"?)

The only reason to adjust voltages would be if it is unstable, or overheating.

If it's unstable you can bump the voltage up a little.
If it's overheating and you can't improve your cooling system, you *may* be able to lower the voltage a little without going unstable.

You may find that your CPU is unstable at 4Ghz regardless of voltage. Then I would start backing down the multiplier and testing.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Go into your BIOS and increase the CPU multiplier to the point where you end up with the 4Ghz mark.

I would start by leaving your voltage settings alone. ( in "auto"?)

The only reason to adjust voltages would be if it is unstable, or overheating.

If it's unstable you can bump the voltage up a little.
If it's overheating and you can't improve your cooling system, you *may* be able to lower the voltage a little without going unstable.

You may find that your CPU is unstable at 4Ghz regardless of voltage. Then I would start backing down the multiplier and testing.

Solution

firo40

Splendid
First off what are you using for cooling? and for that frequency use 1.425 volts and then see what you can reduce it to, with alot of cheaper boards thats the minimum voltage i could get away with, auto did not select the proper voltage. Make sure you have turbo and IO-C state support turned off when overclocking amd processor. Also if you want so more preformance boost look into increasing you NB and your HT for even more preformance.

I currently have a phenom 2x6 1100t at 4.0ghz with 2600nb and 2600ht, 28 degrees celcius idle , with a corsair h70 cooler and my cpu voltage is at 1.425 becuase my Asrock 880gmh wont let me get away with a lower voltage

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

im currently planning to upgrade my cooling system from fan to liquid cooler. im going to get the kuhler 920.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

how would you know if its unstable or overheating? if i get a bsod?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Most common indicator of unstable is BSOD or an error during a load test such as prime95.

To check for overheating download something like AMD overdrive and watch the temps in cpu status. AMD says 61c is max operating temperature but most people seem to recommend staying under 55c at full load.

I ran prime95 blend for 2 hrs. If you get no errors and your core temps never get over 55c, you are probably good to go. (Although standerds vary from person to person)

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

if it overheats, i should decrease the voltage?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

No it's one of these, with a second fan for push-pull.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

If I had liquid cooling, I would be able to bump the voltage and run at ~3.9 GHz.

It doesn't want to do 4 GHz. Not even with 1.45 volts. :(

Mine does well with low voltages though. The 3.4 Ghz overclock (700Mhz over stock clock) is with 1.344 volts.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

With a 1090t, you shouldn't need to mess with the NB Fq.

The multiplier as all you need to speed up your CPU. (and maybe a voltage bump)

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
i have a M4A89GTD Pro /USB 3 mobo. The option CPU/NB frequency is actually together. When you select it, it says like 3000MHZ, 3200MHZ and so on. Im think that this option changes the frequency of the CPU.