Pulling Iomega NAS100d hard drive out of unit

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Iomega
  • Connection
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 20, 2011 2:26:22 PM

I need to pull the 260g hard drive out of my Iomega NAS100d and connect it to my computer.

More about : pulling iomega nas100d hard drive unit

a c 395 G Storage
September 20, 2011 5:00:25 PM

Umm, that's a statement. Do you need help disassembling the NAS unit and removing the drive, connecting it to the computer (is it a laptop or tower), or both?

Do you ever want to use the NAS unit again, or is physical destruction acceptable?

Oh, and why do you need to do this? The answer can actually effect what we recommend. If the NAS unit failed, and you are trying to recover the data, that's one approach.
m
l
September 20, 2011 7:04:28 PM

The NAS wouldn't reset itself after 2-1/2 hrs. on the phone with Iomega and $50 later they told me the unit was bad, however I could pull the hard drive. I just ordered an external enclosure and have already pulled the hard drive. I believe all I have to do is to install the hard drive in the enclosure and then connect it to my computer, correct?
m
l
Related resources
a c 395 G Storage
September 20, 2011 7:24:24 PM

That would work, but if you have a tower PC it's better to test first by cutting out the middleman and connecting the drive directly to the motherboard. That way, you know if the drive is good or bad.

If you don't want to open your PC, do put it in the enclosure. If the data is there, great. If not, we will help you.

Edit: Hey, this thread is a duplicate of this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/273866-32-pulling-iom...
m
l
September 21, 2011 12:02:57 PM

I can't thank you enough for your help. My enclosure should be arriving tomorrow and I will test the hard drive tomorrow night (Thursday). I will let you know if everything worked out, and if not, I will be looking to you for support! Thanks again and I'll let you know. Cheri
m
l
September 28, 2011 4:27:49 PM

Unfortunately when I installed my server hard drive in the external enclosure and connected it to my computer, the computer connects with it, however it does not recognize a drive letter associated with it and my computer cannot read the contents of the hard drive. The hard drive is good as far as I know as I could feel the slight vibration associated with it and also the sound of it running. I would greatly appreciate any help out there as I desperately need to access the contents of this old server hard drive. HELP!
m
l
a c 395 G Storage
September 28, 2011 4:47:01 PM

This is another issue. If I understand correctly, you can see the drive in the Device Manager but it does not get a disk letter. Can you see it in the Disk Manager (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk tab), and what does it look like there?

If it is seen in Disk Manager but no valid partitions show, or it shows as raw or uninitialized, there are a number of steps to try to recover the data. First, do not reformat or otherwise write to the drive. Second, download a utility like EASEUS partition recovery ( http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/ ) and see if it can find and repair the partition. If that doesn't work, we move on to utilities that read the drive sector-by-sector and attempt to reconstruct the files. These are usually free to scan, but pay to recover more than one file.

Let us know how it goes. And, in the future, do backups!
m
l
September 28, 2011 4:59:14 PM

Yes it is seen in the Disk Manager. I will connect it again tonight and reply with exactly what I see to better help you diagnose the problem okay? Thanks again Wyoming! Yes, I have learned my lesson regarding back-ups, the hard way obviously....thanks for your help and I'll reply this evening....Cheri
m
l
October 6, 2011 2:16:33 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you, I caught a cold. I am at work and have some time to connect my hard drive to the Disk Manager. It says the following:

Volume: blank
Layout: Simple
Type: Basic
File System: blank
Capacity: 232.88 GB
Free Space: 232.88 GB
100 Free: 100%

Down below when I try to click on it, blue diagonal lines appear.
m
l
a c 395 G Storage
October 6, 2011 2:26:39 PM

Okay, you lost, at a minimum, your partition and format info. The first and easiest step is to use some free utility to try to recover that info to read the disk. I have used http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/ .
m
l
October 6, 2011 2:29:21 PM

I'm so glad you're available Wyoming! OK, I'm going to download it right now! I'll let you know as soon as I can. Thank you, Cheri.

I'm about to download the free version but it states the following: DEMO LIMITATION: The demo version is not able to apply any partition operation

Will this still work?

Also do I download the "Home", "Professional" or "Server" version?

I downloaded the "Home" version as it states it is not a DEMO version. I'm downloading it right now.
m
l
October 6, 2011 2:44:20 PM

OK, I've downloaded the "Home", and I'm looking at the Main Screen for EASEUS Partition Manager. What do I do now?
m
l
October 6, 2011 3:29:35 PM

I can see the contents of the IOmega hard drive but cannot copy it. There is a selection called, "Set Active" on the left hand navigation bar of the EASEUS, is this what I select? I did some research and it says that if I do this, then my computer may not be bootable. Does this only apply to a single hard drive that has several partitions? This won't affect my hard drive in my computer here at work will it? Please advise.
m
l
a c 395 G Storage
October 6, 2011 7:49:59 PM

You've got Partition Manager. You want Partition Recovery. Wrong EASEUS product. I checked my link and it's to the correct page. If you downloaded from that page then something is funky.

I just learned that it doesn't work on disks over 2 TB, but that won't affect you.
m
l
October 6, 2011 10:27:41 PM

I'm at home now trying it again and I downloaded the correct program this time. I did the "quick" search and it said there was no partition to be found. I am now running a "complete" search. It is SO frustrating to see each and every one of my files but cannot access them.
m
l
October 7, 2011 3:19:09 PM

Ran the "complete" search and no partition could be found. Should I now purchase the Easeus Data Recovery Wizard?
m
l
a c 395 G Storage
October 11, 2011 1:07:56 PM

Someone with more experience, please take over this thread!
m
l
a c 459 G Storage
October 12, 2011 8:06:50 AM

I don't have any more experience, and I don't want to take over this thread, but I believe that NAS boxes often use a Linux file system. AIUI, they also have a small partition for boot code that is used by the NAS controller.

If I were tackling this problem, I would first examine sector 0 using a disc editor. The next step would depend on what we find.

Here are two freeware editors:

HxD - Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd

DMDE (DM Disk Editor and Data Recovery):
http://softdm.com/download.html

Alternatively, Microsoft's Sector Inspector may enable us to view the important sectors:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SecInspect.zip

Extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the SIrun.bat file. The procedure will generate a report file named SIout.txt.
m
l