best lightest laptop?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2004 6:37:29 PM

I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time for
the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.

Sony XR is too small and keyboard it a joke.
IBM X40 has no internal CD
not clear on Gateway or Dell
Asus has a new entry but I can literally see it without buying it & no
returns.
Fujitsu has one
Panasonic (keyboard bad)

What am i missing? Is there a magazine or are there websites devotes to
ultralight laptops?

thanks--

emo

More about : lightest laptop

June 13, 2004 9:55:30 PM

I just got a Sony VAIO TR3A. It's sweet. 3.11 lbs w/ 2 usb 2.0 ports, 1 pcmcia slot, a
cdr/dvd drive, 1280X768 10.6in. SXGA screen, 802.11g wireless, modem/ethernet, built-in
640X480 camera, mini-firewire, sony memory stick slot, 1 gig pentium-m processor, 40gig hard
drive and I upgraded to 1 gig of ram. All for just under $2200.

I've since bought a Samsung 173P LCD external monitor(1280X1024) for when I'm at my desk. I
plug in a mouse and keyboard and everything's great. I want to go on the road and the 3.11
lbs is almost not there. This after lugging around a Dell Inspiron 8200 for three years.

I've heard complaints about quality but this is the second Sony notebook and my first one is
over 2 years old and still going strong.

You'll have to pry my TR3A from my cold, dead hands.

In article <8uedncmsdrpoMVHdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, elmo@comcast.net says...
> I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
> cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time for
> the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
>
> Sony XR is too small and keyboard it a joke.
> IBM X40 has no internal CD
> not clear on Gateway or Dell
> Asus has a new entry but I can literally see it without buying it & no
> returns.
> Fujitsu has one
> Panasonic (keyboard bad)
>
> What am i missing? Is there a magazine or are there websites devotes to
> ultralight laptops?
>
> thanks--
>
> emo

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 12:24:30 AM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:37:29 -0500, "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
>cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time for
>the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.

Most, if not all, ultralight customers just want the computer, with
no accessories. To paraphrase Inigo Montoya: "I don't think you need a
CD-ROM drive as much as you think you do." It's something people seem
to associate with a computer, without thinking about how often they
really use it. And with drive space cheap as it is these days, an
optical drive is really not that necessary.
Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the media
slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.
If you refuse to let the scales fall from your eyes, I recommend
the Fujitsu. Lots of ultralight fans rave about them.
Emanuel
Related resources
June 14, 2004 12:37:58 AM

: wrote:

: >I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
: >cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time for
: >the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
: >
: Most, if not all, ultralight customers just want the computer, with
: no accessories. To paraphrase Inigo Montoya: "I don't think you need a
: CD-ROM drive as much as you think you do." It's something people seem
: to associate with a computer, without thinking about how often they
: really use it. And with drive space cheap as it is these days, an
: optical drive is really not that necessary.

I must disagree here. I use my laptop away from home often and have
used the CD drive more times than I can remember. I have been
thinking about getting a lightweight someday, but I won't even
consider one that has no CD drive; in fact, I want it to be a CD-RW
because I've used that before, too.

It's not how often you use something, it's how badly you need it when
you do need it. I don't use the CD drive every day in my laptop, but
I know I would miss it badly the few times I need it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
> cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time for
> the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
>
> Sony XR is too small and keyboard it a joke.
> IBM X40 has no internal CD
> not clear on Gateway or Dell
> Asus has a new entry but I can literally see it without buying it & no
> returns.
> Fujitsu has one
> Panasonic (keyboard bad)
>
> What am i missing? Is there a magazine or
> are there websites devotes to ultralight
> laptops?

The Panasonic W2 beats all the others by a
very wide margin. I'm not sure I understand
your complaint about their keyboards. I've
had many Panasonics over the years (almost
every single model since the CF-25), and
their fit and finish puts every other
brand to shame. It's just like the
difference between BMW and every
other car maker.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 1:33:43 AM

"E Brown" <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:37:29 -0500, "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
> >cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time
for
> >the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
> >
> Most, if not all, ultralight customers just want the computer, with
> no accessories. To paraphrase Inigo Montoya: "I don't think you need a
> CD-ROM drive as much as you think you do." It's something people seem
> to associate with a computer, without thinking about how often they
> really use it. And with drive space cheap as it is these days, an
> optical drive is really not that necessary.
> Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the media
> slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.
> If you refuse to let the scales fall from your eyes, I recommend
> the Fujitsu. Lots of ultralight fans rave about them.
> Emanuel

The Fujitsu's are very good, but
nowhere close to the Panasonics.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 3:16:07 AM

"Jim" <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote in message
> I just got a Sony VAIO TR3A. It's sweet. 3.11 lbs w/ 2 usb 2.0 ports, 1
pcmcia slot, a
> cdr/dvd drive, 1280X768 10.6in. SXGA screen, 802.11g wireless,
modem/ethernet, built-in
> 640X480 camera, mini-firewire, sony memory stick slot, 1 gig pentium-m
processor, 40gig hard
> drive and I upgraded to 1 gig of ram. All for just under $2200.
>
> I've since bought a Samsung 173P LCD external monitor(1280X1024) for when
I'm at my desk. I
> plug in a mouse and keyboard and everything's great. I want to go on the
road and the 3.11
> lbs is almost not there. This after lugging around a Dell Inspiron 8200
for three years.

> I've heard complaints about quality but this is the second Sony notebook
and my first one is
> over 2 years old and still going strong.
>
> You'll have to pry my TR3A from my cold, dead hands.

When you see/touch the Panasonic W2
you will probably want to throw away
the Sony ;-)

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 3:28:13 AM

"comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
> cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time for
> the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
>
> What am i missing? Is there a magazine or are there websites devotes to
> ultralight laptops?

You might want to take a look at the Avertec units. If you can live w/o the
builtin CDR you should take a look at the Toshiba Portege R100 - 2.4lbs.
Metal. Ultra wicked keyboard. Can play Quake III really well. Fast response
LCD (no ghosting).

www.notebookreview.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 3:35:05 AM

Jim wrote:

> I just got a Sony VAIO TR3A. It's sweet. 3.11 lbs w/ 2 usb 2.0 ports, 1 pcmcia slot, a
> cdr/dvd drive, 1280X768 10.6in. SXGA screen, 802.11g wireless, modem/ethernet, built-in
> 640X480 camera, mini-firewire, sony memory stick slot, 1 gig pentium-m processor, 40gig hard
> drive and I upgraded to 1 gig of ram. All for just under $2200.
>
> I've since bought a Samsung 173P LCD external monitor(1280X1024) for when I'm at my desk. I
> plug in a mouse and keyboard and everything's great. I want to go on the road and the 3.11
> lbs is almost not there. This after lugging around a Dell Inspiron 8200 for three years.
>
> I've heard complaints about quality but this is the second Sony notebook and my first one is
> over 2 years old and still going strong.

Most of the complaints haven't been about quality... They've been about
service-after-the-sale.

Good Luck!

Larry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 7:02:52 AM

Inigo Montoya! What a wonderful memory! Prepare to die!

"E Brown" <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:37:29 -0500, "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
> >cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time
for
> >the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
> >
> Most, if not all, ultralight customers just want the computer, with
> no accessories. To paraphrase Inigo Montoya: "I don't think you need a
> CD-ROM drive as much as you think you do." It's something people seem
> to associate with a computer, without thinking about how often they
> really use it. And with drive space cheap as it is these days, an
> optical drive is really not that necessary.
> Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the media
> slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.
> If you refuse to let the scales fall from your eyes, I recommend
> the Fujitsu. Lots of ultralight fans rave about them.
> Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 7:06:06 AM

this is interesting--i had read in a couple of places that the keyboards
were flaky. i bought a W2 years ago (maybe that wasn't the number--this was
maybe 3 years ago) and liked it but as i remember the keyboard was downsized
and mushy. It was very light and aluminum-feeling. With a pop up top-load
CD-RW on the left palm rest. It's possible I did not give it a full and
sufficient test at that time (i was in a mad rush then).

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
> > cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time
for
> > the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
> >
> > Sony XR is too small and keyboard it a joke.
> > IBM X40 has no internal CD
> > not clear on Gateway or Dell
> > Asus has a new entry but I can literally see it without buying it & no
> > returns.
> > Fujitsu has one
> > Panasonic (keyboard bad)
> >
> > What am i missing? Is there a magazine or
> > are there websites devotes to ultralight
> > laptops?
>

> The Panasonic W2 beats all the others by a
> very wide margin. I'm not sure I understand
> your complaint about their keyboards. I've
> had many Panasonics over the years (almost
> every single model since the CF-25), and
> their fit and finish puts every other
> brand to shame. It's just like the
> difference between BMW and every
> other car maker.
>

> dk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 7:08:29 AM

hi, i looked reasonably carefully at one of these in the store last week. i
could have lived with everything bu tth ekeyboard, which seemed it would be
unsuitable for extensive text entry. i do a fair amt of typing. also, the
screen is a bit small for these aging eyes (though it is a GREAT screen!).

"Jim" <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote in message
> I just got a Sony VAIO TR3A. It's sweet. 3.11 lbs w/ 2 usb 2.0 ports, 1
pcmcia slot, a
> cdr/dvd drive, 1280X768 10.6in. SXGA screen, 802.11g wireless,
modem/ethernet, built-in
> 640X480 camera, mini-firewire, sony memory stick slot, 1 gig pentium-m
processor, 40gig hard
> drive and I upgraded to 1 gig of ram. All for just under $2200.
>
> I've since bought a Samsung 173P LCD external monitor(1280X1024) for when
I'm at my desk. I
> plug in a mouse and keyboard and everything's great. I want to go on the
road and the 3.11
> lbs is almost not there. This after lugging around a Dell Inspiron 8200
for three years.

> I've heard complaints about quality but this is the second Sony notebook
and my first one is
> over 2 years old and still going strong.
>
> You'll have to pry my TR3A from my cold, dead hands.
>

> In article <8uedncmsdrpoMVHdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, elmo@comcast.net says...
> > I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one with
> > cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time
for
> > the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
> >
> > Sony XR is too small and keyboard it a joke.
> > IBM X40 has no internal CD
> > not clear on Gateway or Dell
> > Asus has a new entry but I can literally see it without buying it & no
> > returns.
> > Fujitsu has one
> > Panasonic (keyboard bad)
> >
> > What am i missing? Is there a magazine or are there websites devotes to
> > ultralight laptops?
> >
> > thanks--
> >
> > emo

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 7:10:05 AM

dan-- you persuading me to go have another look. where do you buy this mail
order?

also, have you tried the new ASUS S5200NE

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/asus-s5...

> "Jim" <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote in message
> > I just got a Sony VAIO TR3A. It's sweet. 3.11 lbs w/ 2 usb 2.0 ports, 1
> pcmcia slot, a
> > cdr/dvd drive, 1280X768 10.6in. SXGA screen, 802.11g wireless,
> modem/ethernet, built-in
> > 640X480 camera, mini-firewire, sony memory stick slot, 1 gig pentium-m
> processor, 40gig hard
> > drive and I upgraded to 1 gig of ram. All for just under $2200.
> >
> > I've since bought a Samsung 173P LCD external monitor(1280X1024) for
when
> I'm at my desk. I
> > plug in a mouse and keyboard and everything's great. I want to go on the
> road and the 3.11
> > lbs is almost not there. This after lugging around a Dell Inspiron 8200
> for three years.
> >
> > I've heard complaints about quality but this is the second Sony notebook
> and my first one is
> > over 2 years old and still going strong.
> >
> > You'll have to pry my TR3A from my cold, dead hands.
> >

> When you see/touch the Panasonic W2
> you will probably want to throw away
> the Sony ;-)
>

> dk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 12:23:03 PM

I suppose it comes down to personal taste.

I like very light, quick feeling keyboards.

And no, you didn't buy a Panasonic W2 years
ago -- this model came out last year.

dk

> this is interesting--i had read in a couple of places that the keyboards
> were flaky. i bought a W2 years ago (maybe that wasn't the number--this
was
> maybe 3 years ago) and liked it but as i remember the keyboard was
downsized
> and mushy. It was very light and aluminum-feeling. With a pop up
top-load
> CD-RW on the left palm rest. It's possible I did not give it a full and
> sufficient test at that time (i was in a mad rush then).
>
> "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one
with
> > > cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time
> for
> > > the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
> > >
> > > Sony XR is too small and keyboard it a joke.
> > > IBM X40 has no internal CD
> > > not clear on Gateway or Dell
> > > Asus has a new entry but I can literally see it without buying it & no
> > > returns.
> > > Fujitsu has one
> > > Panasonic (keyboard bad)
> > >
> > > What am i missing? Is there a magazine or
> > > are there websites devotes to ultralight
> > > laptops?
> >
> > The Panasonic W2 beats all the others by a
> > very wide margin. I'm not sure I understand
> > your complaint about their keyboards. I've
> > had many Panasonics over the years (almost
> > every single model since the CF-25), and
> > their fit and finish puts every other
> > brand to shame. It's just like the
> > difference between BMW and every
> > other car maker.
> >

> > dk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 12:30:32 PM

I would then suggest taking a good look at
the Panasonic Y2. It sports the brightest
crispest sharpest 14" SXGA+ (1400 x 1050)
screen in the industry.

dk

> hi, i looked reasonably carefully at one of these in the store last week.
> could have lived with everything bu tth ekeyboard, which seemed it would
be
> unsuitable for extensive text entry. i do a fair amt of typing. also,
the
> screen is a bit small for these aging eyes (though it is a GREAT screen!).
>
> "Jim" <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote in message
> > I just got a Sony VAIO TR3A. It's sweet. 3.11 lbs w/ 2 usb 2.0 ports, 1
> pcmcia slot, a
> > cdr/dvd drive, 1280X768 10.6in. SXGA screen, 802.11g wireless,
> modem/ethernet, built-in
> > 640X480 camera, mini-firewire, sony memory stick slot, 1 gig pentium-m
> processor, 40gig hard
> > drive and I upgraded to 1 gig of ram. All for just under $2200.
> >
> > I've since bought a Samsung 173P LCD external monitor(1280X1024) for
when
> I'm at my desk. I
> > plug in a mouse and keyboard and everything's great. I want to go on the
> road and the 3.11
> > lbs is almost not there. This after lugging around a Dell Inspiron 8200
> for three years.
> >
> > I've heard complaints about quality but this is the second Sony notebook
> and my first one is
> > over 2 years old and still going strong.
> >
> > You'll have to pry my TR3A from my cold, dead hands.
> >

> > In article <8uedncmsdrpoMVHdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, elmo@comcast.net
says...
> > > I need an ultralight, 3 lbs max, full function laptop. prefer one
with
> > > cd-rw internal (not add on). i have been doing research in spare time
> for
> > > the past few weeks and it seems this is NOT a crowded market niche.
> > >
> > > Sony XR is too small and keyboard it a joke.
> > > IBM X40 has no internal CD
> > > not clear on Gateway or Dell
> > > Asus has a new entry but I can literally see it without buying it & no
> > > returns.
> > > Fujitsu has one
> > > Panasonic (keyboard bad)
> > >
> > > What am i missing? Is there a magazine or are there websites devotes
> > > ultralight laptops?
> > >
> > > thanks--
> > >
> > > emo

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 3:40:18 PM

www.dynamism.com www.japan-direct.com www.conics.net

You've pretty much covered all of the bases. THe closest match is the
Panasonic W series - 2.84lbs, DVD burner, 12" screen
http://panasonic.biz/pc/prod/note/w2d/index.html

Sony XR series too small?!?
You mean these?
http://review.ascii24.com/db/review/pc/a4note/2001/01/2...

Or the latest Sony X505 series instead? or TR series?
(heck, you want even smaller, eyeball the Sony U50 series with 5"
screen! http://vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/VGN-U50/)

---

Otherwise, you'll have to go with a smaller screen and the usual list of
mini-notebooks:

JVC Interlink XP (no burner, ~2lbs)
Sony U101, U50/U70 series (very small, hard to read screen, 1-2lbs)
Sony X505 - super thin & light (2lbs)
Toshiba Dynabook SS SX (12" screen, no burner, 2lbs)
Sony TR series - ~3lbs
Fujitsu T50/70 series - ~3lbs
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 6:33:39 PM

E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the media
> slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.

That media slice is $500!.

If you need an external drive, I suggest you buy these:

$40 external 5.25 drive enclosure
$99 NEC dual layer DVD/RW
---
$139 plus shipping from Newegg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2004 8:04:54 PM

Do i dare suggest the 12" PowerBook? Its about 1.1 inches thick,
weighs under 3.5 lbs, great monitor, internal CD drive (Burner or
even a DVD BURNER!) wireless G. Stable as a Rock Unix backbone.
Just my 2 cents.

==============
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 12:27:20 AM

ziliath wrote:

> E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> > Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the media
> > slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.
>
> That media slice is $500!.
>
> If you need an external drive, I suggest you buy these:
>
> $40 external 5.25 drive enclosure
> $99 NEC dual layer DVD/RW
> ---
> $139 plus shipping from Newegg

What drive enclosure would you recommend? I'd prefer one with both
Firewire and USB-2.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 5:02:08 AM

"Lappie Lover" <LL@invalid.com> wrote in message

> ziliath wrote:
> >
> > E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> > > Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the
media
> > > slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.
> >
> > That media slice is $500!.
> >
> > If you need an external drive, I suggest you buy these:
> >
> > $40 external 5.25 drive enclosure
> > $99 NEC dual layer DVD/RW
> > ---
> > $139 plus shipping from Newegg
>
> What drive enclosure would you recommend? I'd prefer one with both
> Firewire and USB-2.

IOgear.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 8:11:12 AM

Nope, media slice is $99 or thereabouts, plus the drive, of course. CD-RW
avail for $75 or so on eBay.

"ziliath" <ziliath@myway.com> wrote in message
> E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> > Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the media
> > slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.
>
> That media slice is $500!.
>
> If you need an external drive, I suggest you buy these:
>
> $40 external 5.25 drive enclosure
> $99 NEC dual layer DVD/RW
> ---
> $139 plus shipping from Newegg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 8:32:29 AM

that's what started the latest round of ultralight envy. i was playing with
a friend's 12" powerbook. i love it, but i've been lifelong windows user
(after the Apple][ ). Twice in the last couple of years I've tried to
switch to Apple and 100% or the time it because of the design of the
hardware andthe look of the software. But both times I haven't been able to
persuade myself that changing over is a good idea. Too few resources, too
few programs, too few people using them, too much of a premium paid at every
turn, and the machines just are not as quick as fast PCs, I don't care what
folks say or how the tests turn out in the Apple mags. I even considered
runnung the windows sim on teh powerbook, but i gather it's too slow and a
little buggy besides. So that's out. And the weight was a bit more than 3.5
lbs anyway, as I recall.

Still, it's such a beautiful piece of business that sometimes I think I'll
spring for one despite all the above (the ones I had were the 17" iMac bowl
with the swivel LCD, and the 15" Powerbook alum).

"Flyinace2000" <willsisti-forum1111@mailblocks-dot-com.no-spam.invalid>
wrote in message news:40ce04e6_1@news.athenanews.com...
> Do i dare suggest the 12" PowerBook? Its about 1.1 inches thick,
> weighs under 3.5 lbs, great monitor, internal CD drive (Burner or
> even a DVD BURNER!) wireless G. Stable as a Rock Unix backbone.
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 1:06:35 PM

Let's assume we're not dealing with Ebay and want this ASAP.

The Media slice retails for $199:
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...

The Ultrabay combo drive via Froogle.com is $139:
http://store.yahoo.com/ocitech/noname3.html

You see it's quite expensive to go for the dock.

> Nope, media slice is $99 or thereabouts, plus the drive, of course. CD-RW
> avail for $75 or so on eBay.
>

> "ziliath" <ziliath@myway.com> wrote in message
> > E Brown <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> > > Because of this, I recommend getting an IBM X-series with the media
> > > slice. You can remove the slice once you've seen the light.
> >
> > That media slice is $500!.
> >
> > If you need an external drive, I suggest you buy these:
> >
> > $40 external 5.25 drive enclosure
> > $99 NEC dual layer DVD/RW
> > ---
> > $139 plus shipping from Newegg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 9:05:16 PM

> Do i dare suggest the 12" PowerBook? Its about 1.1 inches thick,
> weighs under 3.5 lbs, great monitor, internal CD drive (Burner or

from apple.com, seems the 12" has gained weight and height.

Size and weight (12-inch model)

* Height: 1.18 inches (3.0 cm)
* Width: 10.9 inches (27.7 cm)
* Depth: 8.6 inches (21.9 cm)
* Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg) with battery and optical drive
installed (9)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2004 9:12:32 PM

> What drive enclosure would you recommend? I'd prefer one with both
> Firewire and USB-2.

My choices:

5.25" optical drives.
ME-320 series.
eg.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
This one at NewEgg for $42.99.

Fan is moderately noisy, but otherwise, the case is solid, does the
job, has no problems running over USB & FW, and simply works w/o fault.
Internal power supply, standard PC power cable.

Wish it would be silent, but haven't found any other 5.25" cases that
are and work well (recommendations?).

---

3.5"
Hotway 3.5" USB/FW enclosure, $38
www.pcmicrostore.com
http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=c:36232;p:10501345;b:1499

Excellent heat dissipation, small size, works well. Solid. Uses
external power supply brick. Does the job well, hot 7200rpm drives have
enough dissipation to stay as cool as if there were bare (which is still
hot to touch by the finger on a bare drive, BTW, so don't be suprised if
it feels warm/warm hot running in this case).

---

2.5"
Most are so small, you really dont' have to worry much about heat
dissipation.
anything metal will do, eg. Hotway 2.5"
http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=c:36232;p:10500975;b:1499
$29.

Otherwise, Enhance Technology MPD series with built-in li-ion battery so
you don't need any power from the host. ~$80+
http://www.whiningdog.net/Reviews/PC/Drives/20021207-MP...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2004 2:17:27 AM

Well, if you work at it you could probably pay even more.

> Let's assume we're not dealing with Ebay and want this ASAP.
>
> The Media slice retails for $199:

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...

> The Ultrabay combo drive via Froogle.com is $139:
> http://store.yahoo.com/ocitech/noname3.html
>
> You see it's quite expensive to go for the dock.
>

> > Nope, media slice is $99 or thereabouts, plus the drive, of course.
CD-RW
> > avail for $75 or so on eBay.
> >

> > "ziliath" <ziliath@myway.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > That media slice is $500!.
> > >
> > > If you need an external drive, I suggest you buy these:
> > >
> > > $40 external 5.25 drive enclosure
> > > $99 NEC dual layer DVD/RW
> > > ---
> > > $139 plus shipping from Newegg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2004 2:27:33 AM

In article <EfSdnZ6eMo61X1PdRVn-gw@comcast.com>,
"comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote:

Twice in the last couple of years I've tried to
> switch to Apple and 100% or the time it because of the design of the
> hardware andthe look of the software. But both times I haven't been able to
> persuade myself that changing over is a good idea. Too few resources, too
> few programs, too few people using them, too much of a premium paid at every
> turn, and the machines just are not as quick as fast PCs, I don't care what
> folks say or how the tests turn out in the Apple mags. I even considered
> runnung the windows sim on teh powerbook, but i gather it's too slow and a
> little buggy besides. So that's out. And the weight was a bit more than 3.5
> lbs anyway, as I recall.
>
> Still, it's such a beautiful piece of business that sometimes I think I'll
> spring for one despite all the above (the ones I had were the 17" iMac bowl
> with the swivel LCD, and the 15" Powerbook alum).

Depends on the software that you need. Most people require little more
than Microsoft Office; Adobe this and that; a browser, newsreader and a
mail program. All of which are native to Apple.

Itunes and iPhoto are advantage Apple. But specialty software may tilt a
decision to a Windows machine.

I use both an HP laptop with XP Pro and a 12" Powerbook with the latest
version of OSX (Panther). I prefer the Apple and use it most of the time
but some software that I need will only run on Windows.

Panther is not buggy but XP is; to generalize.

I like my HP laptop (Athlon Mobile & 15" screen) but 8# is pretty heavy.
There is an Averatec with a 12" screen and all of the bells and whistles
that that weighs a little over half that. It sells for about $900+/- at
Staples and other places.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2004 2:27:34 AM

> Itunes and iPhoto are advantage Apple. But specialty software may tilt a
> decision to a Windows machine.

Don't forget about VirtualPC for Mac! You can easily run most
Windows software on a Mac with emulation.

(or if you go the other way around, don't forget about Basilisk II
to emulate a Mac OS 8.1 on the PC. See
http://silverace.com/libretto/mac2.jpg - for an example of Mac OS 8.1
running on a 2lbs. Toshiba Libretto 110CT.

Hmmmm, the world's smallest Mac laptop indeed......)
June 18, 2004 3:34:04 AM

Oh, I don't know about that. The Panasonic only has 512mb max for RAM
and the screen resolution is only 1024X768. The Sony goes up to 1 gig
for RAM and the native resolution is 1280X768. The W2 is lighter but
bigger.

In article <40cce034$1@news.meer.net>, dankoren@yahoo.com says...

--
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost

The new Vaio U50 and U70 are available in the UK/EC, along with X505 - see
www.pyramid-consultants.uk.com

!