New build - Running Slow ish? Help

G

Hi,
Upgraded recent to a new cpu, motherboard, ram and video card.
I've bought windows 7 home prem and both on Vista and 7 it takes a long time to install (1 hour plus) and over 2 and a half minuites to boot.

This is what i have running.

Windows 7 Home Prem 64Bit version
AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB L3 Cache
4Gigs of Kingston 2gb Ddr3 1600mhz Hyperx Memory Cl9(9-9-9-27)
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P 790X Socket AM3 DDR3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
MSI HD 4890 Cyclone 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
SATA 250GB HDD
120GB IDE HDD
570Watt Power Supply unit (this has the 4pin power to the motherboard but there is an 8 pin connector socket avail, manual says it support 4,6 and 8 pin power leads

BIOS Setting are set to optimized settings and thats about it at the mo.
The OS sees the correct CPU Speed and Memory

I also have the latest video drivers installed for the ati

Any help would be great, Thanks

G

Hi,
Yes sorry i didnt add that i have totally formated both HDD and tried installing to both to check it was the HDD causing the problem.

I have updated the bios and set the Kingston DDR3 to the values on the ram its self 9-9-9-27 etc

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Might just be me, but that power supply is looking a little on the weak side for your setup. Is it a brand name or a one that got packaged with your case? This could be the problem. Go for a 650 or 750 watt branded one also plugging in a full 8 pin CPU power cable not just a 4 pin.

The HDD might be the problem too, its on the old IDE connection meaning it might be bottlenecking data throughput in your machine.

To be honest, you're running a good machine apart from those two little problems

Download and run HDTune on you drives. Your problem sounds like either you are using the IDE drive as an OS drive, or your SATA drive is running in the wrong mode. Either way, sounds like your drives are under performing by a considerable margin.

G

Thanks guys for your help. I will have a look into those things.

I was thinking the same about either the HDD or PSU. I was thinking about ordering a new one of each to try. What branded PSU would you guys recomend. Dont have too much left to spend after just getting the cpu, mobo etc.

Im running it on the SATA at the mo, its 3 years old so im guesing its not SATA II but only I. Also would you recomend i update the DVD drive to SATA too as im on IDE for that also.

Thanks again for your help.