guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Forgive my ignorance, I've only had the last two years to learn about this stuff. What I want to know is if i bought more RAM for my 64bit Windows7 PC, would my applications and games use the extra memory or would it just sit there until things caught up with it? I have 4GB of DDR2 in my GA-EP45-UD3P mobo right now and am not necessarily looking to upgrade for more RAM, I'm just curious, for future reference.

Solution
Hi.

With 4GB is enough for games and applications, the only way in that u need 8GB or more is when u run many Adobe applications at the same time.

Also, bear in mind that DDR2 is expensive today, the price is very similar to DDR3. A good 4GB Kit DDR2-800MHzZ is around $115.99 that is a very similiar price of a good 4GB kit DDR3-1333.
Hi.

With 4GB is enough for games and applications, the only way in that u need 8GB or more is when u run many Adobe applications at the same time.

Also, bear in mind that DDR2 is expensive today, the price is very similar to DDR3. A good 4GB Kit DDR2-800MHzZ is around $115.99 that is a very similiar price of a good 4GB kit DDR3-1333.

Solution

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I've got a C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4 Ghz, Nvidia GTS 250, two WD 1TB 7200RPM HDD, and no SSD. I'm still curious if my system would use more RAM, but since I'm saving up for an Asus N61JV-X2 I won't be buying much for my desktop for a while.

You can find the option "select as the best answer" and the end of the post that u want mark as the best answer.

Bear in mind that this option is only valid if you created the thread as an "Question" and not as a "Discussion", if u create the thread as a discussion, u can send a PM to the moderators and they can change the thread to a Question.

mrmez

Splendid
If you have to ask the question of 4 vs 8, the answer is no. You don't need 8Gb.

As said, apps like Photoshop CAN use lots of ram if you are doing stupid things with it. I've ran 8Gb on my Vista 64 and W7 system for quite some time and while i do occasionally do stupid things with Ps it will use more than 4Gb, but mostly, its just a waste.

OSX on the other hand will happily use anything you give it. In the past my Mac mini's have been happy enough on 1Gb, my iMac in also happy enough using over 7 of its 8Gb.