Is it worth upgrading my old PC?

112R222

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hi all, first time I'm posting here in search for some advice. I have an old system which I won't really be able to upgrade to anything even remotely modern for several more years and I hoping to get as much mileage out of it as I can.

My system specs are:
CPU: P4 2.8 (hyper-threaded to simulate 2 cores).
2 gigs of RAM
Coolmax 550 PSU (model CX-550B)
Nvidia 6800 GT (factory overclocked) 256 meg.
Resolution: 1280x1040 flat screen lcd

I know my options are limited, but I was wondering if its worth upgrading my video card or not. For example I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161284, but I don't know if I would see any significant performance over my current card or not. Quite a few games that I do play I can't have things like shadows enabled and a lot of settings are turned down in order for me to get decent FPS, especially when there's a lot happening on the screen. Thanks in advance.

112R222

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Your 6800GT is AGP? I know they came in both forms, so I just wanted to confirm.

Yes, AGP it is.

Next in line is a 4650/4670 512mb ddr3 agp. The ati will give you shader which comes in handy in most games.

Would the 4650 provide a better than marginal boost over the old 6800? Some one told me I won't see much more detail with just a few more FPS than I currently get. Something about the AGP slot is too limiting for the hardware when compared to the PCI-E hardware. Which of course I can't use anyway.

Just start crysis now and you would notice that it very difficult to be able to get playable fps at all. The 4650 uses less power while being able to play newer games due to the newer tech. The other option is a 7800gs and it is faster than the 6800ultra especially when overclocked.