Bluray is there importance to the cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hi i just recently bought a bluray burner the LG model that has 4mb of cache but noticed most other burners have 8mb of cache. now i have a really nice 400 dollar montitor with superb quality

so im wondering if the burner having only 4mb of cache impacts the quality at all?

can anyone give me a rundown on this and weather im losing anything with only having 4mb of cache for the bluray burner

Solution
On plextor drives: I loved them, untill they got out of the oem internal dvd market. Now all their DVD drives are just a rebadged drive form another oem supplier. On of the things I liked was their plextor tools for evaluating the quality of recorded DVD's that I backed up. Still have their 716 and their 755 model drives (indaces the high quality as they still work great). For the Blu-ray drives, I'm not sure their "quality" is worth the cost differenial. I have 2 BD rewitable daul layer drives, one from Pioneer and one from LG and both work fine.

Is to the cache size. I think you will find that it only effect burst rate when burning data, so not a real biggy. Only other effect would be if your are doing alot of other task while...

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
ok but how does this affect performance or does it? cause i could always send it back and get an 8mb cache model but idk. i just wonder if by having 4mb cache if its drasticly cutting speed or if it is taking away any quality.

on a side note i just went and checked and newegg showed its Plextor had 4mb cache i know they use to be the best in optical drives wonder if they still are?

On plextor drives: I loved them, untill they got out of the oem internal dvd market. Now all their DVD drives are just a rebadged drive form another oem supplier. On of the things I liked was their plextor tools for evaluating the quality of recorded DVD's that I backed up. Still have their 716 and their 755 model drives (indaces the high quality as they still work great). For the Blu-ray drives, I'm not sure their "quality" is worth the cost differenial. I have 2 BD rewitable daul layer drives, one from Pioneer and one from LG and both work fine.

Is to the cache size. I think you will find that it only effect burst rate when burning data, so not a real biggy. Only other effect would be if your are doing alot of other task while writting to a disk or watching a dvd while recaculating a large spreadsheet, or coping large amount of data to a HD at the same time. The quality/reliability of the drive would be more of a consideration than the size of the cache. Personnally I have shied away from the Lite-on lineup of blu-ray burners.

Added: Plextor Px-B940 Reviews seem very favorable. But not sure if it is much better than the pioneer version.
Could not find it "made by plextor, or a rebadged pioneer with Plextor firmware.
http://www.ccereviews.com/reviews/plextor-px-b940sa-internal-12x-bd-writer/6/
http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/plextor-px-b940sa-12x-blu-ray-disc-writer/Conclusion.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.