Compaq presario sr1522x graphics cards

lfrank

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
What graphics card do I need to put into my Compaq Presario SR1522X to be able to run Windows 7?

I was told by a Best Buy guy that either GEForce PCE or PCI Express or Diamond AGP will do the trick.

How do I verify that any of these will work in the Compaq Presario and also work with Windoes 7?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Larr7

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
According to the motherboard specs, there are no PCI Express or AGP slots, which limits you from upgrading to a decent graphics card. Windows 7 isn't very demanding. If you are running Vista on that computer now, more than likely you can run Windows 7.

lfrank

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Actually I am running XP Pro. I ran the MS application to see if I could run W7 and it told me the graphics card would not run W&. It sounds like I need to open it up and see if there are any slots that I can put a graphics card in.

I assumed that because I had open slots, I could put a new graphics card in. Maybe not. Comments?

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I looked around and figured out your motherboard is this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00361570

The specs list zero PCI-Express and AGP expansion slots. There are a few PCI graphics cards out there but I think the larger hardware issue is your entire computer. It's pretty outdated and I would consider an upgrade. You can always stick with XP Pro, which is still largely more stable than Windows 7.

lfrank

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
skolpo, thanks. I guess I will stick with XP as my wife seems happy generally with the computer.

Just got laid off so I don't want to be buying a new computer.