sparkle_ftw

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I was thinking about taking all 7 of my 120mm fans, and making them exhaust, that way I will never have any dust building... at least that would be ideal. I hate the way mesh looks though, that is why. What do you guys think?

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Your cooling would suck, no intake fans...
Are you just doing this because of dust or better cooling?

It will just look like this..

<---F
<---F
<---F
<---F
<---F
<---F
<---F

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
No No that would crap your cooling, all of those fans will have to work super hard to suck in air from the front and then pull it out, it will make a very slow air currenty and wouldn't get the hot air out quickly enough to keep up with the hardware heating the air. Plus about dust, you can easily elimate that problem: Buy a small cheap air filter (HEPA) and keep it on low power 24/7 next to your computer and it will eliminate the big dust particles or just use compressed air on it every now and then.
I have a server in my house that is on 24/7 for about 1 year now (Has all the storage and stuff on it) and I have a HEPA filter in that room about 10feet from it running also 24/7 and i haven't a single dust particle inside of it for....1year!...and it has fans all over the place so its a an easy and cheap solution.
-Just dont make all fans exhuast...bad idea and there are a million ways of solving dust problems which are easy and usually extremely cheap/free :)

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
No they are not LOL which ones are you looking at....
check this one out CLICK HERE
And plus its good for your health :) And an IONizer won't do anything. An Ionic breeze works by dispensing charged ion particles into the air which bond with other particles in the air and then fall down to the floor because of the heavy ions. Other ones work by having a metal pole inside through which the particles stick to. Before they get to the ground or filter your fans will suck them in and then ultimatly all of the dust in your room will grow like mold inside your computer case :) Nice huh?...instead if you get a real hepa filter then all the dust particles will get sucked into it like a black hole and never come out and once every 3-6months you pull out the filter and vacum it then shove back in and then let it work. Then all the dust will actually be cleaned. Plus its the real way to clean and removed much more dust then any ionizer ever will.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Rather than having a lot of exhaust, what you want is more intake than exhaust to create positive pressure inside the case.

If you have more exhaust than intakes, what you end up doing is forcing the exhaust fans to draw air from vents and the spaces between harddrive brackets, which will inevitably suck in dust.

With positive pressure, all that extra air will force air OUT of those brackets and areas, keeping external dust out. However, if dust gets in, then it will also get stuck going back out...

Solution? Filters on Intake, have lots of them, and a handful of exhaust, and keep a can of compressed air handy for those timely clean-outs (depending on how dusty your house is.)

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^There you go. As I said, i have a small cheap hepa filter sitting a massive 10ft away from my server running on the lowest power 24/7 and it keeps that server as clean as the day i built it :) Its cheap and does the job.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Oh No....my server has no intake filters at all, just fans,case, and hardware, nothing else. And yes it is awsome :) Solves the dust problem really well.
Its just that you might want to keep your filter a bit closer to your computer then mine because i have giant air filter in my central ventilation system so i have less dust to begin with.

I use an Antec 300 for one of my servers with the side pannel sealed off - great for a cheap server and the dist filter up front is great (only air intake source) for low maintainence etc if you can fit all your stuff in it (6 hdd bays max)

Ummmm......three possible outcomes:

1. Your fans output will drop to about 10% and the air that does get in has to get in thru nooks and crannies. Everything will run hotter.

2. Your fans will move almost no air. In order to move air out, air must get in before it can get out. W/o air circulation, all your components will overheat.

3. Your case will implode.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Good thing that I am not the Op otherwise I would be really confused..
And now for something completely different...
First of all hot air rises it must there is no two ways about it,and when we add fans to our cases we are just encouraging it to do what it wants to do anyway,as long as the OP has enough cool air intake he can have as much output as he wants to,although a light filter at the bottom of the case would not be amiss..
I personally have a rather large 24in case which has only exhaust fans 2 to be precise [one 80cm and 1 40??cm] plus two small cooler fans on the hdd caddies,and a gpu,cpu and psu fan and I never have heat problems,the point is that there as many ways to address this thing as there are people doing it...:)