Help with a new gaming rig as future-proof as possible today

I have been researching a new computer for weeks now (mostly looking at Velocity Micro systems). I have never actually hand-built a system before, so I am a little timid. I am an electrician and I have tinkered with adding ram, and video & sound cards a few years ago. I don't know how to overclock or mess with Bios or anything...just plug-and-play type stuff. I don't mind spending some extra money now to not have to upgrade for a while. I hate having to buy a new rig every time a new game comes out that I want to be able to play in a great resolution (like Dragon Age: Origins).
Should I go for an i7? What would be the most future-proof, a 1156 socket cpu or a 1366. Any help would be apprecitated!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week (unless prices are getting ready to drop or a new updated technology is about to arrive)

BUDGET RANGE: $1,200 - $1,500 / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, internet, office

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: would like to get everything at one or two places COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: The most supported and most future proof

OVERCLOCKING:Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I have an Acer P241w (1920x1200 WUXGA)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: will need Windows 7 too. This will go on my desktop and the tower needs to be less than 21" tall. I need an integrated flash memory reader (8-in1?). I really want to play Dragon Age: Origins in the highest resolution if possible. I need a gaming keyboard and mouse too. I would like it to be relatively quiet, and maybe have a side window with the lights like the Velocity.
21 answers Last reply
More about help gaming future proof today
  1. Welcome to the forum. 1366 is the most future proof (although that's about the only advantage it has).

    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

    ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

    OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

    ASUS EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121350

    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&Tpk=f3%20500gb

    CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

    Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-066-_-Product

    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192

    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

    See the link in my sig for some more case options as well as some keyboards and mice.
  2. To OP: Get a razer mouse, they are the best gaming mouse.
    Get a 5850 video card.
    Get an antec 900 case, better cooling and more space.
    Get this RAM instead it's 1333mhz 7-7-7-18 for $134.99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230
    jbakerlent's RAM is 1600mhz 7-7-7-24 for $173.99 which is expensive. the performance between the two would be very similar anyways so go for the cheaper solution

    The rest of jbakerlent's build looks good, so follow it.

    To jbakerlent: you said "Welcome to the forum. 1366 is the most future proof (although that's about the only advantage it has)."
    really? that's the only advantage? what about x16 x16 performs better than x8 x8
  3. Thanks for the catch on the RAM, I didn't notice the price just went up. If you go for the 5850 (which is a great option) then you'll need this PSU for crossfire (since you said maybe to crossfire).
    Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

    Edit: @ overshocks: Really the x16/x16 does not provide much of a performance boost over x8/x8 even with crossfired 5870s (some, but not enough to justify it over the 1156). Here's my list of reasons why I prefer 1156

    1. 860's frequency is higher
    2. 860's turbo mode is far greater
    3. 860's TDP is far lower
    4. 860's intel specified supported ram frequency is higher
    5. 860's overall price is far lower
    6. Initial very high price of gulftown cpus
    7. Lack of compelling need for 16x/16x crossfire
    8. Limited benefit of triple channel ram
  4. ^I agree with those reasons.

    x16 x16 does offer a little performance gain though, it'll offer more in the future when cards are faster, but not much at this moment.

    Also, you don't need a 750W psu for 2x5850. 600W is enough, that's if you can find 4 x 6-pin connectors

    Overall, good build for the OP.
  5. ^ Agree.
  6. @overshocks

    Can you please recommend me a 600W PSU with 4x 6-pin connectors? I do not want to use adapters/splitters to do the job. Cheers.
  7. alikum said:
    @overshocks

    Can you please recommend me a 600W PSU with 4x 6-pin connectors? I do not want to use adapters/splitters to do the job. Cheers.


    Google it.

    Remember I said, "600W is enough, that's if you can find 4 x 6-pin connectors "

    Nice try.
  8. jbakerlent said:
    Welcome to the forum. 1366 is the most future proof (although that's about the only advantage it has).

    partially right, amd3 is on the same level.
    jbakerlent said:

    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

    ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

    OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

    ASUS EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121350

    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&Tpk=f3%20500gb

    CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

    Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-066-_-Product

    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192

    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

    See the link in my sig for some more case options as well as some keyboards and mice.

    nice build.
  9. Here's a very nice 650W with 4 PCI-e connectors:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

    Kind of expensive, but it is excellent quality and modular as well.

    Edit: @Daggs, you are correct about AM3, I just recommended the 1366 because the OP mentioned i7 in his post and it fit within his budget.
  10. jbakerlent said:
    Here's a very nice 650W with 4 PCI-e connectors:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

    Kind of expensive, but it is excellent quality and modular as well.

    Edit: @Daggs, you are correct about AM3, I just recommended the 1366 because the OP mentioned i7 in his post and it fit within his budget.

    actually, he asked should he go i7, thought the i7 is better than any amd cpu, still don't throw away the competition, remember, without competition, cpu prices will sky rocket.
  11. OK, so here is my "wish-list" for you to check out:

    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $ 99.99
    ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $209.99
    ASUS EAH5850/G/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express $289.99
    Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 $114.95
    Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor $288.99
    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Memory $134.99
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $ 79.99
    ****OUT OF STOCK****
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $ 49.99
    SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C - OEM $ 25.99
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $106.99
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM $ 6.99
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible $ 29.88
    ****OUT OF STOCK****
    Rosewill RTK-001 Premium Anti-Static Wrist Strap - Retail $ 3.99

    $1,442.82

    Don't I need an audio card or something or is this integral with something else?
    Do I need any cables or do they come with the components?
    Is there another hard drive and cooler that are as good as the ones listed above (out of stock)? Or should I look at another retailer for this stuff? Are there any promo codes or coupon codes for Tom's?
    Anything else I might be forgetting?

    Thanks for all of your help!
  12. jbakerlent said:
    Here's a very nice 650W with 4 PCI-e connectors:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

    Kind of expensive, but it is excellent quality and modular as well.

    Edit: @Daggs, you are correct about AM3, I just recommended the 1366 because the OP mentioned i7 in his post and it fit within his budget.


    great find man.
  13. To OP: your build looks good, but I found a mistake..

    also, the sound is integrated so you're good, no need to order cables, they come with it.

    "SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $ 79.99
    ****OUT OF STOCK****
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $ 49.99"

    ^wrong price.
  14. I've found a nice combo for you. Saves $20 dollars. I'll try finding more when I have time.

    antec 900 + windows 7 64bit
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.282580
  15. overshocks said:

    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $ 49.99"

    ^wrong price.


    Overshocks, I can't find the price you are referring to. Are you sure you aren't thinking of a 500GB drive? Can you provide a link to your price? Thanks for the combo find too!

    Also, should I wait a month for the 212 cooler, find a substitute or try to find it somewhere else?

    It looks like the mobo has some very negative reviews. Any other suggestions that will work?

    I also just realized that I will need an ethernet adapter card too, any suggestions (I have Verizon High Speed)?


    Thanks!
  16. The 49.99 price is wrong. It's supposed to be 79.99.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Mobo: the mobo you picked doesn't support sli. do you want a mobo that overclocks well or what features are you looking for?
    by the way, don't trust newegg reviews, because most of them aren't pro builders and they complain about small things that they messed up on.

    heatsink: just get the 212 cooler it's good at it's price beats many competitors, also you can wait for it or just buy it off from another site.

    don't know about ethernet adapter. why you need one?
  17. overshocks said:
    The 49.99 price is wrong. It's supposed to be 79.99.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Mobo: the mobo you picked doesn't support sli. do you want a mobo that overclocks well or what features are you looking for?
    by the way, don't trust newegg reviews, because most of them aren't pro builders and they complain about small things that they messed up on.

    heatsink: just get the 212 cooler it's good at it's price beats many competitors, also you can wait for it or just buy it off from another site.

    don't know about ethernet adapter. why you need one?



    Overshocks,

    I thought I needed an ethernet adapter to connect to the internet, or do they come with the mobo or case?

    I don't know what I need in a mobo. I picked the one that jbakerlent suggested. Overclocking sounds fine to me, but I don't know how to do it. What is another mobo that will work well with my set-up and be the most "future-proof"?

    Thanks again!
  18. This mobo would be best if you want crossfire/sli ability. It is slightly more expensive than the p6t SE, also it overclocks well

    Here, ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359

    are you using ethernet cable to connect to internet, then you don't need adapter

    ethernet cable picture:
    http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00NMSavngLEtzOM/Ethernet-Cable-UTP-Mold-Type-KB-AA06-.jpg
  19. overshocks said:
    This mobo would be best if you want crossfire/sli ability. It is slightly more expensive than the p6t SE

    Here, ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359

    are you using ethernet cable to connect to internet, then you don't need adapter



    No, my internet is Verizon High Speed. Basically it is over the phone lines but much faster than dial-up. I have an ethernet cable now.

    Thanks
  20. This HSF is more expensive, but you can check it out if you can't wait for the Hyper+
    XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

    for the HDD you can take a look at this one

    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

    And no, the mobo should come with all the cables you need.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product