Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus crosshair iv

Last response: in Memory
April 29, 2010 6:34:50 PM

hey guys, computer noob here again. im putting together a gaming rig and have pretty much everything picked out for the build. i have a 300$ budget give or take a lil just for memory. the motherboard is going to be the asus crosshair iv formula and i was hoping to get some advice on what memory to buy? any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

More about : asus crosshair

April 29, 2010 10:38:17 PM

ah sorry i shoulda given better info. well im going with the amd x4 black edition, radeon hd 5850, 2tb harddrive, 1200watt power supply. keep in mind that i will be adding a second 5850 with in a few months. i will eventually add a 6core cpu, woulda done it now but i want to wait and see what happens with price in sevral months either way its an am3 slot so no biggie. i will be adding a solid state drive later also. i dont think my rom drive, tower and heatsink really change anything about the memory and cooling wont be an issue.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 29, 2010 10:58:39 PM

the mem above will be sufficient, though your psu is a bit excessive IMHO
m
l

Best solution

a c 163 } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 29, 2010 11:50:15 PM

Hi.

1- This G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) 1333 are very good and are a very good option for u.

2- The PSU is overkill for your rig, this are the power requirements for your GPU.

ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
* Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
* Minimum 1GB of system memory
* Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
* DVD playback requires DVD drive
* Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
* For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

The recomended PSU is for the entire system, with this Antec 650W is enough for your rig and the future Crossfire and CPU upgrade that u want.

3- IMO the mobo is very good, but if u want OC the rig, u can wait two weeks for the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 that is a better mobo for OC.
April 30, 2010 12:49:36 AM

Best answer selected by vegasblahman.
m
l
April 30, 2010 12:54:03 AM

i went to one of the power usage calculator and again me being the noob that i am did the best i could and after i set up everything i was going to have it came out to 1100watts or so...i looked up prebuilt systems similer to what i wanted to do and they used 650 to 800 power supplies so glad to hear you guys are knocking some sense into me. thanks again for the feedback.
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 30, 2010 1:00:05 AM

Any time, that's why we are here. Don't forget that the PSU must bet from a good manufacturer like Antec, PC Power and cooling or Coolermaster.
m
l
!