Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

(Temps after Install?) i7 920 w/ CM Hyper 212+

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 7, 2012 12:23:58 AM

Hi,

I just installed a Cooler Master 212+ on my i7 920 D0, and have reseated twice, and reapplied fresh Thermal Compound (AS5) both times, and in the Bios after the fresh install, I'm idling at 50c. I crept up the OC to 4.0Ghz and it's sitting at 65c in the Bios. Is this normal? Shouldn't my idle temps be way lower, or will it get cooler over time?
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2012 12:33:58 AM

have you verified the temps with other software? Should try a couple such as speed fan. I have an i7 960 with a healthy OC on it and i don't usually get about 62c. the burn in period for AS5 is said to be 200+ hours, so i would expect some improvement for that paste, though i'm not sure how much. As a reference, here's a related forum on that paste.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/411968
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 12:37:40 AM

Your temp does not seem far off, I have I7 920 @ 4.0 Idles at 45c with a coolermaster heatsink its been so long I cant recall the model, Thinking Nxxx something. Id say once your AS5 settles in prob drop a few degrees, My i7 920 needed a little voltage to bump to get stable @ 4.0, how much voltage are you using. Id tell you exactly but I recently passed the 920 on to the wife and shes doing an online exam atm. In about an hour if i can find this thread will post my exact voltage.

Voltage 1.285 CPU Idling at 39C Highest core @ Idle 45c

Also I believe your idle temps in Windows will be cooler then in bios because of windows system idle process.


someONEgood said:
Hi,

I just installed a Cooler Master 212+ on my i7 920 D0, and have reseated twice, and reapplied fresh Thermal Compound (AS5) both times, and in the Bios after the fresh install, I'm idling at 50c. I crept up the OC to 4.0Ghz and it's sitting at 65c in the Bios. Is this normal? Shouldn't my idle temps be way lower, or will it get cooler over time?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 7, 2012 12:38:56 AM

No I haven't, since I was mostlly concerned about idle temps in the bios, I hooked up the bare minimum to access it. IE mobo and GPU, didn't even bother hooking up the HDDs. Just curious what others with this configuration had initially after install.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2012 12:54:05 AM

Those temps seem a tad high to me, but not catestrophically so. What was your vcore set at? also, do you have adequate airflow in your case?
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 12:58:49 AM

kelthic said:
Those temps seem a tad high to me, but not catestrophically so. What was your vcore set at? also, do you have adequate airflow in your case?


I have an Asus P6T SE, and just increased the BCLK by blocks of 10 until I reached 200 (4.0Ghz). I never manually set the vcore, but upon looking at system information in teh bios, at that clock speed it had the CPU voltage at 1.4x, which seemed way high, so I reset back to the default 2.6Ghz. What should my vcore be set at?
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 12:59:49 AM

Forgot to add, right now it's just the PSU fan, the CPU fan, and a rear fan sucking air out at full blast. The cover is off, no side fans going.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2012 1:06:09 AM

i would not exceed 1.35volts on your vcore. Obviously, the lower you can keep your voltage, the cooler your cpu will run. i would start at the stock 1.25 and raise as necessary when you run into stability issues.
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 1:08:18 AM

Backed down to stock speeds (2.6Ghz), and now it's still sitting around 57c. Does the CPU not actually idle in the bios?
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 1:21:06 AM

Hooked up my HDs and at stock (2.6Ghz) Real Temp reads 36c idle. Does that seem more reasonable?
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 1:30:02 AM

36c is very acceptable idle temp. for that cpu
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 1:33:11 AM

derekmd said:
36c is very acceptable idle temp. for that cpu

Awesome. Gonna try bumping it up and do some Prime 95 tests. So far 4.0 crashed in Prime 95, thought temps were mid 40s. I assume that's because of stock vcore (1.25). Bumping that up in small increments to test is what I need to do now, correct?
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 1:38:48 AM

A couple things, because your adjusting the bus speed to achieve your clock speed, you may want to change the divider on your ram to bring it closer to stock speeds as it could be causing some of your crashes. Also make sure PCIE is locked @ 100mhz. Its been along time since I did my OC on the I7 920 so just trying to pull some thoughts out, once you raise your bus speed and your memory divider is set to keep your ram as close to possible to stock speeds. Test for stability. If not stable raise Vcore a little. Your ram is either running @ 1333 or 1600. My ram is capable of 1600 speeds but its running around 1450.
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 2:11:02 AM

derekmd said:
A couple things, because your adjusting the bus speed to achieve your clock speed, you may want to change the divider on your ram to bring it closer to stock speeds as it could be causing some of your crashes. Also make sure PCIE is locked @ 100mhz. Its been along time since I did my OC on the I7 920 so just trying to pull some thoughts out, once you raise your bus speed and your memory divider is set to keep your ram as close to possible to stock speeds. Test for stability. If not stable raise Vcore a little. Your ram is either running @ 1333 or 1600. My ram is capable of 1600 speeds but its running around 1450.


Divider on RAM? I'm not sure what you mean. What's that listed under usually in the bios?
Sorry replies take so long, before I was using my rooomates laptop as I did testing, but he needed it back. Now I'm stuck rebooting, changing settings, checking forum, etc.
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 2:19:16 AM

Depends on your motherboard for location, but on a Gigabyte MB, its usually below the CPU Frequency option.
Your looking for memory divider, as your Frequency goes up so does you ram speed, so you need to slow it down so your not Over clocking your ram as well, then your fighting two issues instead of one. Im off to bed hopefully some late nighters will pop in and give you some more help. Work comes too early, night and good luck.
m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
March 7, 2012 3:52:02 AM

What case do you have?
You can add a high-end cooler to a crappy case and it won't significantly improve temps.
All about adequate air-flow.
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 5:32:43 AM

davcon said:
What case do you have?
You can add a high-end cooler to a crappy case and it won't significantly improve temps.
All about adequate air-flow.


Not the greatest. It did have two side fans, but I had to remove one for the heatsink to fit. I will probably put it on the 212+ itself in a push/pull, if I can find the specs on it to make sure the airflow matches. So basically a high RPM fan blowing air out the back, another blowing air in the front of the case, one on the side, and soon 2 HSFs. The temps I've been having are with just the rear fan, the HSF, and an open case.

Right now I seem to be stable at 3.8Ghz, with OCZ 6GB RAM at 1600 with 8-8-8-24 timings (what they're rated at).
Idle seems to be about 40-45, load 50-55c, and successful Intel Burn Test, but got pretty hot around 80c.
Prime 95 sits around 70c.

Does this seem about right for an 920 D0 @ 3.8Gz on an Hyper 212+?
Hoping it cools down into the 30s after the burn in period.



m
0
l
March 7, 2012 12:16:23 PM

I would add that fan to the CPU cooler as planned and not worry to much about hitting 80c with Intel burn test. Nothing your gonna run is gonna push your CPU like Burn Test. Intel Burn pushes my CPU to around 74c but nothing else gets it over 70c. In a few weeks I suspect your temps will settle a few degrees. Also what was your final Vcore to get stable at 3.8 ?
m
0
l
a c 201 à CPUs
a c 148 K Overclocking
March 7, 2012 12:53:16 PM

1st the AS5 curing issue..... that's 200 hours of thermal cycling, not 200 hours of run time...... if you play a game this Saturday for 8 hours, the CPU heats up for 5 minutes, cools down for 5 minutes completing 1 ten minute thermal cycle.....the other 7 hours and 50 minutes don't count towards thermal cycling.

That being said, you're probably looking at 2C tops improvement during the burn in period. To skip that next time, use Shin Etsu, 40% of AS5's price, exact same thermal conductivity and n curing issues.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As to the problem, 1st thing I'd check is your software reporting properly. One thing ya wanna make sure of
is that ya not running two programs to monitor the same thing at the same time as this can throw the readings off. I like to use OCCT which has it's own CPU test as well as Linpack and includes all necessary utilities to measure dozens of different voltages and temperatures.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

Next I'd check whether case cooling is adequate. take off the side panel and use a desk or portable house fan to blow air inside the case.....if your temps change significantly, you have found your problem.

As a reference .... Son No. 2 has a 920 running at 3.8 Ghz normally with no BIOS edits other than undervolting the vcore (1.125) .... he has separate BIOS profiles (BIOS has few more edits) which allow boots to 4.0 and 4.2 Ghz. At 3.8 Ghz he's in the high 60's under Prime 95 / Linpack / OCCT with a Megahalems. At the other boots he's in low 70's on highest core.

m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
March 7, 2012 1:17:58 PM

someONEgood said:
Not the greatest. It did have two side fans, but I had to remove one for the heatsink to fit. I will probably put it on the 212+ itself in a push/pull, if I can find the specs on it to make sure the airflow matches. So basically a high RPM fan blowing air out the back, another blowing air in the front of the case, one on the side, and soon 2 HSFs. The temps I've been having are with just the rear fan, the HSF, and an open case.

Right now I seem to be stable at 3.8Ghz, with OCZ 6GB RAM at 1600 with 8-8-8-24 timings (what they're rated at).
Idle seems to be about 40-45, load 50-55c, and successful Intel Burn Test, but got pretty hot around 80c.
Prime 95 sits around 70c.

Does this seem about right for an 920 D0 @ 3.8Gz on an Hyper 212+?
Hoping it cools down into the 30s after the burn in period.

Yes those temps sound right for the current set-up.( rear fan, the HSF, and an open case).
Adding the front and side intake should reduce temps further.
Push/pull usually yields another 1-2C temp drop.
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 3:27:17 PM

davcon said:
Yes those temps sound right for the current set-up.( rear fan, the HSF, and an open case).
Adding the front and side intake should reduce temps further.
Push/pull usually yields another 1-2C temp drop.


Awesome, really appreciate the responses. I had another question though. Initially before I put in the 212+, I had 12GB RAM, but they were different sticks.

OCZ DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 GOLD
A-Data DDR3-1333, PC3-10600

I took out the A-Data for stability testing.

Would it be worth it to put the A-Data back in, change from 19x 200BCLK to 21x 181BCLK (heard 21x uses lower voltage), and drop both sets down to 1333, maybe with tighter timings, or is that giving up to much overall for RAM I may never use. I use Win7x64 and Photoshop CS4x64 but I'm uncertain how much PS has ever actually used. I plan on putting an SSD in next, once I get everything sorted out with the overclock, so I'm not sure how that affects RAM usage.
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 3:50:36 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
As a reference .... Son No. 2 has a 920 running at 3.8 Ghz normally with no BIOS edits other than undervolting the vcore (1.125) .... he has separate BIOS profiles (BIOS has few more edits) which allow boots to 4.0 and 4.2 Ghz. At 3.8 Ghz he's in the high 60's under Prime 95 / Linpack / OCCT with a Megahalems. At the other boots he's in low 70's on highest core.


WoW, 1.125? I didn't think I could even attempt to go below 1.2 at that OC. I'll definately try going lower vcores! Was that with a 19x or 21x ratio?
m
0
l
!