alphabeta

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I have a system built in an Antec P182 case, with an Intel Q9550 CPU on an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard. I am looking to upgrade the cooling and could use a few pointers.

Background: The CPU is not overclocked. The computer is used partly for batch-processing still photographs, with thousands of images per batch; no gaming, though. At the moment, I'm staying away from water- or other fluid-based cooling systems (leak paranoid).

(1) Out of the box, the case came with three 120mm fans, whose speed can be controlled only by adjusting a dipswitch. On high they are a bit noisy, but on low they don't offer enough cooling for large photo batches. Does the P5Q Deluxe support automatic control of fan speed? If so, can anyone recommend a variable-speed fan to use for this?

(2) The CPU, which just has the standard Intel fan, seems to me to run a bit hot, and also unevenly: at boot, cores #0-1 run at 34 C, and #2-3 at 38-40 C. (I haven't yet determined whether the "sidedness" of the temperatures is due to my installation of the fan.) Can anyone suggest a better cooling solution for the CPU, without going to a fluid system?

(3) I'm in a dusty environment. Can anyone suggest a good material for filtering the intake air, something that will get the dust out without obstructing the air flow too much?

Many thanks,
alphabeta

alphabeta

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations, Niklas.

The PC is not locking up. CPU temperature exceeds 50 C under load, though; maybe that's okay (I don't know), but it does make me a bit nervous. Probably I will put in an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Fan controller is an interesting idea, but I'd rather do it through the motherboard if I can. How can I tell whether my motherboard supports fan speed control? Asus's documentation seems to suggest it does, but it's not 100% clear.

The CPU fan connector has four sockets (ground, power, "in," and PWM), so that I think does support it. The three case fan connectors have three sockets each (ground, 12V, and rotation).

Thanks again.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009