Dual Core --> Triple Core Dilemma

silentfoot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By the end of November

BUDGET RANGE: No more than $450

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Movies, Word Processing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, harddisk, dvdrom, case, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I live in Thailand so www.jedicool.com/pricelist i know the currency is diff but feel free to link to newegg since the prices are not that different (pref no rebates please)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use an AMD cpu with an ASUS Motherboard

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI/CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My current build is the follow- X2 5200+, Asus M2N-E, 4gb DDRII 667, HIS 4850 512MB

The CPU i really want is the X3 720 Black Edition. The dilemma I am facing is whether or not I should stick to DDRII ram, so I can keep my current ram and just change the motherboard and cpu. I have no idea whether or not the X3 is limited in anyway by me getting an AM2+ motherboard, so perhaps some advice on that would be nice. Tentatively this is what I am looking at:

AMD X3 720 BE
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO SOCKET AM3 AMD785G/SB710 DDR3
OCZ DDR3 6GB 1333 MHz CL 7-7-7
ThermalTake Tough Power Q 550watt

my other option would be to pair the 720BE with an AM2+ motherboard and save on the ram by using my current ram. Any advice would be highly appreciated, thank you!

You are spending too much on RAM. 6GB kits are triple-channel, and sold for Intel builds. You want a 4GB kit...
The Kingston CL7 1333 kit looks like a good deal.

I think 667Mhz RAM might hold up your speed a bit... but how much I can't say. 1066Ghz CL5 DDR2 is roughly the same performance as 1333Ghz CL7 DDR3. Probably you could save the money and put it into a good CPU cooler, overclock the 720BE about 20-30%, and come out WAY ahead though.

As to AM2+ vs. an AM3 board, there is no known improvement in speed... 785G boards are not faster than, for instance, a 770 board or 790GX board.

There is no model number given for that PSU but I think it's an older one and not too good. If you could afford that 500W Seasonic it would be a much safer bet, and probably more actual power....

Yes found the 550W, discontinued at newegg. Max 36A on the 12V rails. Max power 550W (so not sustained).

The Seasonic delivers 35A on the 12V rails and when they say 500W they mean it. It's also more efficient and probably quieter.

silentfoot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Thanks for the reply proximon that was very very useful info!

I'll def go for the seasonic 500watt at least.

As for the Ram and mobo, I think i'll go for 4gb ram but ddr3, prob the asus m4a i mentioned in my post. anyone able to recommend a better board that will have no problem overclocking if i wanted to?

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

I think you meant MHZ instead of GHZ, or else that would be insane speed.

silentfoot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
hi Gedoe_,

i'm afraid i'm not too familiar with intel boards, but i think the g31 you are talking about is ddr2. If so, i'd just check with THG's cpu charts to see if you are gaining much from going 4400-->6300.

Please start your own thread and provide info such as what you are using the computer for.