Can't set order to boot first windows xp cd

edzha90

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I have computer with P4B533 motherboard but I can't set an order to boot first from CD, I tried F8 and in bios to set CD-ROM first but isn't booting, what should I do ?

Double check your settings according to the mobo manual, chapter 4.6 Boot Menu/Boot sequence.
http://www.fixya.com/support/p363472-asus_p4b533_mb1188_motherboard/manual-11041

If the CD still doesn't boot:
1. check in "Main Menu" chapter 4.3 and see if the CD Drive is being recognized. If not, check the CD drive connections
2. back in the BIOS "Boot Menu" (chapter 4.6) Disable Removable Device and Other Boot, leaving only the Atapi CD-Rom and IDE Hard Drive enabled, CD-Rom first in the boot sequence... go to Exit menu and select Exit Saving Changes.
3. If still no success, check the BIOS post and pause it with Pause/Break to read the screen on which key you can use to manually select the boot device. Disable "Quick Power On Self Test" if necessary.

edzha90

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
tried above functions but it won't boot actually it shows me I can press 'del' to enter SETUP and ALT-F2 to enter EZ Flash utility and nothing about F8 or any other booting information....

Are you pressing F8 right after the SETUP (BIOS) posts? you're supposed to press it every 1 to 1 and 1/2 second or hold the key till the Safe Mode boot options list appears on the screen. If the Safe Mode options list doesn't come up on the screen, the boot sector may be damaged, the partition could be damaged, or the hard drive may be dead.

As for setting the first boot order, do it according to the motherobard manual (BIOS section) and if still no success, the CD Drive may be damaged, may have lose connections, the master & slave jumper settings may be incorrecty configured, or the CD may not be bootable.

If nothing of this helps, you may have to give us some more detailed information to better understand the problem.

Sometimes damaged (non-booting) hard drives can be accessed if installed as Slave to a working hard drive... see if the old HD is accessible this way, so you can rescue your files before discarding it.