ANTEC 300 case speaker

jimmybog

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I'm currently part way through my first PC build. The instructions I am following now say to "install the internal case speaker to the motherboard". I have a ANTEC 300 case which I think doesn't have a internal case speaker. Can someone explain/confirm to me that 1) the Antec does not have an internal case speaker; 2) if not, where can I buy one from (UK) and what type do I need; 3) where exactly does a case speaker go. Does it go somewhere in the case or on the motherboard?

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I didnt have one for like 4 years but recently I put it in when I got my new case, and I kind of like it.

The internal speaker just gives you a little buzz noise on startup and some other noises in case of error. they can probably be picked up anywhere that has pc parts, even a repair shop might have one for cheap or free. Your motherboard manual will instruct you where to install it, simple as a jumper hookup.

1) the Antec does not have an internal case speaker;

No. The case is not equipped with an internal speaker.

2) if not, where can I buy one from (UK) and what type do I need;

One of these will do to sound BIOS code beeps.

http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

3) where exactly does a case speaker go. Does it go somewhere in the case or on the motherboard?

The Antec 300 does not come equipped with a preinstalled internal case speaker. In order to hear BIOS beep code a smaller speaker like the one in the link plugs directly onto the MB's internal speaker header. The purpose of an internal speaker attached to the MB is to sound BIOS beep code when troubleshoting.

I do not think a single short beep on bootup is annoying. What is annoying is when your computer fails and you don't have a clue about where to start.

jimmybog

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Thanks everyone for your help. I can see where it needs to be connected now. I'll try and use the one from my old pc if I can find it. The link for me to purchase one is a US based company. I really need a UK based company if Im going to purchase one.

That's what I did with my Antec 900 cases - recycled old case speakers.

If you recycle, just stick the back of the speaker against the PSU in the bottom of the case.