Sign in with
Your question

Decently fast SSD's finally hitting $1 per GB

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 21, 2011 4:09:49 PM

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB for $120 at newegg (shell shocker):

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...

This is the point where a lot of folks said they weren't going to invest until $1/1GB.

Will you get one now?
September 21, 2011 4:23:21 PM

too bad its the OCZ vert II and not the newer Vert III
a c 283 G Storage
September 21, 2011 4:24:21 PM

I maintain the ssd database listed up in the stickies for this section. I am seeing more and more companies jumping into the ssd market. In addition there are brand new companies also trying for a slice of the pie. I am going to do a major ssd database update in the next couple of days.

Intel and two other companies announced new PCI-e based ssd's that should be released sometime between October 1st and the end of the year. I am going to wait and see how they work out. If they are okay, then I can avoid a motherboard/cpu/memory upgrade.

Related resources
a b G Storage
September 21, 2011 4:31:19 PM

The vertex 2 is a great SSD. I have it in my laptop and with the latest firmware. Has been rock solid for the past year.

Anyone looking for a decent SSD upgrade - look no further than the Vertex 2 with such a cheap price now :) 
September 21, 2011 4:43:52 PM

Until the reliability and compatibility issues are resolved it doesn't matter what the price is IMO.
a b G Storage
September 21, 2011 4:52:44 PM

What compatibility issues would you be talking about beenthere?

Also about reliability...i haven't had any problems since the latest firmware.

Well, for anyone not bothering getting an SSD - your day will come when you see the light :D 
a b G Storage
September 21, 2011 8:01:52 PM

Chainzsaw said:
What compatibility issues would you be talking about beenthere?

Also about reliability...i haven't had any problems since the latest firmware.

Well, for anyone not bothering getting an SSD - your day will come when you see the light :D 

I agree, eventually I think folks will see the wisdom of using an SSD. I don't think its necessary, but I think everyone could benefit from the overall system responsiveness. There are still a lot of people out there that believe they are only good for faster boot times, I find that to be the least important reason for having an SSD as boot drive. I have quite a litany of background programs running at startup, so I get to windows fairly quickly but it takes a while to get past the login screen. I need to clean up my startup...Been spending most of my free time on two mod projects. :) 
a b G Storage
September 21, 2011 8:04:16 PM

For those concerned with reliability and compatibility, Intel drives are very good. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Intel SSDs outlast their mechanical counterparts by quite a lot.

Of course I care about speed mostly, and I love my vertex III !!!
September 22, 2011 5:10:22 PM

buzznut said:
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB for $120 at newegg (shell shocker):

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...

This is the point where a lot of folks said they weren't going to invest until $1/1GB.

Will you get one now?

The prices on OCZ drives have been dropping, but Newegg, Tiger Direct and Amazon have all raised their price on the Crucial M4 128MB. I wonder if they're charging more for the increased speed afforded by the new firmware?
a c 283 G Storage
September 22, 2011 5:37:37 PM

buzznut said:
For those concerned with reliability and compatibility, Intel drives are very good. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Intel SSDs outlast their mechanical counterparts by quite a lot.

Of course I care about speed mostly, and I love my vertex III !!!

You want speed? I was over at Fusion-io. They've got high speed ssd configurations for business enterprise. The numbers are mind boggling. Absolutely awesome. However, they don't publish any prices. If you have to ask how much it costs, then you can't afford it :o 
September 24, 2011 7:23:01 PM

watched a vid on youtube the other night, i think it was something like "SSD Awesome Samsung". IDK, but check this out! 24...yes 24! ssd's were in RAID0 (24x30GB). The freaking numbers will astound you! Not that it is at all practical...but wow. you guys need to check it out.
a c 283 G Storage
September 24, 2011 7:26:12 PM

I remember the ssd research and development team at Intel doing that sort of thing.
September 24, 2011 7:33:36 PM

they had a 700mb movie finished in 0.8 seconds!!! sickening
a c 283 G Storage
September 24, 2011 7:42:24 PM

edit - oops - nevermind - I made a mistake - my bad. :( 
!