Thumbnail quality issue

deny_winarto

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi, need a little help here..
I have bunch of folders filled with movies and their dvd cover images,
and i want to display some sort of catalogue of movies using thumbnail view..

I've managed to change the size of thumbnail with registry tweaking,
but the thumbnail quality is just too low even at 100,
(also, i don't notice any difference between 50 and 100 even after restart.
Is this a bug?)

I've tried this :

delete iconcache.db
change the value to 100
restart
the iconcache.db is recreated by windows
but still dont see any difference in the quality

Tried the same thing with value of 50 but still don't see any difference

So my question, is there anyway to increase the max quality to above 100?
Or at least making the thumbnail changes work?

Thanks

deny_winarto

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Hmm i think i've tried selecting a higher quality image but the result wasn't too different...
What's spinal tap ?
My job requires me to use XP

deny_winarto

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Please stay on the topic, i really need help for this.

Here's the ss before and after i increase the quality :

afterthumbnailsize192.jpg

afterthumbnailqtymax.jpg

I really don't see any difference and it's quite frustrating

I've tried to use a 3.2 mb image as thumbnail and here's the result (Flower folder)
highpic.jpg

It's still rather blurry so i don't think resolution matters...
Is there any way to tweak the registry so that the maximum quality limit can be increased?

100 is 100% quality, it won't go any higher. While a decent picture will get you a better thumbnail, a super picture won't get any better.

Windows 7 and maybe some Linux distos may have higher quality thumbnail images. Or MAC maybe but I use one of those once a year so can't really say.

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Spinal Tap made my day, if the image quality is ok and you are at 100% then that is it
it only works on fonts i think but u never know
and if you are using large icons this will degrade the image

That won't help. I messed around with thumbnails for a while before, can never get it past a certain point in quality, it never looks as sharp as a regular picture of that size. And the thumbnail quality setting in the registry is based on %, so 100 is as high as it will go. "this Windows goes to 110" "Why not just make 100 better quality" "..... but this one goes to 110..."

Here's my 2 cents...

You can't improve on actual thumbnails, but you can change how you see them with Windows own slideshow style view.

Right-click on the folder holding the pictures. Select properties. Click on the Customize tab. Near the top you will see a drop-down box labeled "What kind of folder do you want?" and "Use this folder type as a template"

Click the drop-down triangle and choose "Photo Album (best for fewer pictures)" or "Pictures (best for many pictures)" and click Ok.

Left-click on the folder once and then click the view button, select "Filmstrip"

Now your pictures will appear as a filmstrip and any picture you click on once will appear in a larger view. Double-click that thumbnail to open it.

twocents.gif

P.S. Last time I looked, jpg pictures were limited to 24 bits, maybe something has changed over the years? I've been asleep for awhile.