ASUS DTS 5.1 or CODEC HD 8.1?

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
The ASUS motherboard P6T SE LGA 1366 have two different integrated soundchips (or software): Both ASUS own DTS 5.1 UltraPC and a CODEC HD 8.1. Wondering which of those I should proceed from and choose either a 5.1 or a 8.1 set of speakers? Which one do you think make the greatest sound? As I can see it 8.1 should give more surround but maybe the 5.1 gives a clearer and more quality high-end audio? Are not going to buy a separate sound card so please no such answers ;)

ASUS' P6T SE has only a Realtek ALC1200 Codec onboard.
Not really sure where you are getting the impression that there are two codec's installed?

You should set your sound to output the same number of speakers you are using.
IE. if you have stereo or 2.1 speakers set it to 2 speaker output, 5.1 surround system set it to 5.1 output, 7.1 surround system set it to 7.1 output, etc.

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Huum, I found that info on ASUS own homepage when looking up this motherboard in the product list. Not on the spec side but the first side where they are showing and describe all features. First there is ASUS own technology including DTS 5.1 and under it all the standard features (with 8 channel CODEC). The big but is what they mean with 8-channel, 8.1 or 7.1? I know how to handle the settings but have an older 5.1 model, but you cannot choose say a 8.1 channel mode if the Realtek only showing 2.1 - 5.1 ability. And it sounds very strange that it would support a 7.1 mode when its programed to support the ordinary 2.0, 5.1 and 8.1 mode.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
7.1 is eight speakers (channels): 2 front, 2 side, 2 rear, 1 center, 1 subwoofer. The "point one" always refers to the LFE channel, which contains the signal for the subwoofer.

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I quote from [ http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=t4yhK6y9W9o7iQ9E ] what ASUS is writing on the Overview side:

"ASUS Exclusive Features / ASUS Crystal Sound"

"DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC delivers exceptional 5.1 surround experience through the most common PC audio setups - your existing stereo speakers or headphones. In addition to virtual surround, “Bass enhancement” provides stronger low frequency bass sound, and “Voice clarification” provides clear human dialogue even with loud background sound. With these technologies, you may experience a better home-theater audio with ease. To experience DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC, download the updated audio driver & latest BIOS at www.asus.com".

"Industry Standard"

"High Definition Audio
Enjoy high-end sound system on your PC!
The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature, retasking functions and multi-streaming technology that simultaneously sends different audio streams to different destinations. You can now talk to your partners on the headphone while playing a multi-channel network games. All of these are done on one computer".

Furtheron they write this on the specifications side:

"Realtek® ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
Support Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O
ASUS Noise-Filtering".

What do they mean when writing this motherboard have both this features? Is it two separatly sound-circuits on the motherboard or do they mean that they have a 8-channel hardware but both Realteks 7.1 AND UltraPC DTS 5.1 software? To go back to my main question, WHAT GIVES THE BEST SOUND? Should I buy 5.1 speakers and use ASUS DTS ULTRA PC 5.1 OR should I buy a set of 7.1 speakers and use REALTEK HD 7.1?

DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC is a software solution that takes 6 channel audio (5.1 surround) and re-encodes it as virtual surround for headphones and stereo speakers.
This is SOFTWARE, not hardware.

Industry Standard High Definition Audio is referring to the Realtek ALC1200 HD Audio CODEC.
This is the audio hardware on your motherboard.
It supports UP TO 8 channel output (7.1 surround) along with standard 2, 4, 5.1, etc. channel output.

You can use your preference of 5.1 or 7.1 speakers, both will render the DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC software useless.
You could also use Headphones, Stereo or 2.1 speakers along with the DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC software for virtual 5.1 surround.

DarthTengil

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks, now I got it! ASUS maybe have written the info in a way that confuse the reader (me :). Am going to buy a CREATIVE SPEAKER INSPIRE T7900 7.1 RETAIL system then it both gives me 2 more channels and better speakers than those of my older 5.1 system. Thus I´m somewhat interrested of having DTS/THX quality speakers but the only surround system that I found is the LOGITECH SPEAKER Z-5500 5.1 THX / 500W RMS, and that one dont have 7.1 and is too expensive. Is there another 7.1 system than Creatives that is THX classed but not that expensive as the Logitech system above?

Personally I am using a Logitech x540 5.1 surround set that works pretty darn good.
The last set of Creative speakers I had where of pretty low quality, I would prefer to stay away from them.
I understand the Logitech z5500 is a darn good setup (for computer speakers that is) and that would be my recommendation.

I would not worry to much about the 5.1 vs 7.1 thing.
Most games/movies will sound just as good on either.