Sign in with
Your question

HELP! random freeze with MSI X58 Pro-E + 3gb PC12800 Patriot on Win7

Last response: in Motherboards
April 30, 2010 1:45:01 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, hope I can get solution for my PC problems noidea

I just bought new system :
- Intel i7 920
- MSI X58 Pro-E
- 3X1gb kit PC 12800 Patriot memory
- Powercolor radeon 5870 1gb
- HDD 1tb WDC green
- 700w VenomRx Power Supply

Since the first time I installed windows 7 64bit my PC keep freezing when the process of "expanding windows files" reach 0-5% , the problem solved when I take off 2 sticks ram (left only 1gb) . After the windows 7 installed I put back the others 2 memory and it still keep freezing randomly . I noticed that mostly when I'am trying to run Tomb Raider Underworld, with 3x1gb Patriot ram attached it always freeze when the game in loading process, when I take off one of my ram (left 2x1gb) I can run through the loading and play game for about 1 hour but ended freezing again (not always).

I've already update the bios but getting the same problem. Im just wondering it'is my ram, mainboard or windows problem?
I asked my friends wheter they have any DDR3 ram but unlucky me they dont crying .I also found some new facts :

1. Game and system runs stable when I only use one memory, I've tried each of three memory for Tomb raider game, browsing internet, so far it is not ended up freezing (I use first black coloured memory slot near CPU)

2. When I put back all 3 rams memory my pc gettin hang/freeze when loading Tomb Raider Underworld game, after I restart the freezing going early, at first time windows ready even at startup, I have to switch the 3 rams position to get my PC working again, no I means working a couple minutes longer before freezing

here's some informatioan about my memory use CPU-Z :

if that pic above is too small, feel free to go here :
http://picasaweb.google.com/rizky.adidharma/LainLain#54...
and zoom in

Please help, Im not a skilled PC user so this problem give me a big headache.
thanks alot Hat-tip

April 30, 2010 11:46:56 PM

IS that DDR3 1600?

Can you enlarge the pics sop I can see them?
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2010 3:41:57 AM

This is probably because just about every set of Patriot PC12800 RAM takes 1.65V or above, but just about every DDR3 motherboard defaults to provide 1.5V unless you set the voltage yourself in the BIOS. Not enough voltage = randomly freezing system, mark it down.

Motherboards do have an autodetect function that will TRY to figure out the right voltage for you, but it's pretty hit-and-miss. And the more sticks of RAM you add, the more it's "miss."

Anyway ... look up your specific model of RAM and see what the voltage is, then go into the BIOS and set it to that. It should fix the problem. (Note: Don't set it above 1.65V with an i7 CPU. It's probably not going to be higher than 1.65V anyway if it was a triple-channel set, but can't hurt to know).

Related resources
May 1, 2010 2:33:14 PM

builderbobftw said:
IS that DDR3 1600?

Can you enlarge the pics sop I can see them?

You can click my link above, and do the zooming. Sorry I dont know how to post my pic to look larger than that
May 1, 2010 2:37:06 PM

capt_taco said:
This is probably because just about every set of Patriot PC12800 RAM takes 1.65V or above, but just about every DDR3 motherboard defaults to provide 1.5V unless you set the voltage yourself in the BIOS. Not enough voltage = randomly freezing system, mark it down.

Motherboards do have an autodetect function that will TRY to figure out the right voltage for you, but it's pretty hit-and-miss. And the more sticks of RAM you add, the more it's "miss."

Anyway ... look up your specific model of RAM and see what the voltage is, then go into the BIOS and set it to that. It should fix the problem. (Note: Don't set it above 1.65V with an i7 CPU. It's probably not going to be higher than 1.65V anyway if it was a triple-channel set, but can't hurt to know).

hey thanks alot for your information, I hope I could read this earlier. I just send my PC back to the shop this afternoon for more examination. I'll try that if it still freeze after I get it back
May 1, 2010 2:39:54 PM

I zoom and still can"t see anything, Even on a 26".
May 1, 2010 11:49:40 PM

Ok I'll resize it up for you, I only took one memory result , the rest 2 have the same result. Here u are :

on the Patriot memory label written :
PVT33G1600ELK, DDR3 1600MHZ (9-9-9-24)
3GB (3X1gb) Kit 1.65V

here's dome additional information
- I cannot install WinXP/ Win7 with 3 mems installed, always stuck at "expanding windows" process in 0-5% range. But when I onlu use 1gb of ram, I installed Win7 without problem.
- Using all 3gb's kit I always had random freeze, especially when loading Tomb Raider Underworld. With 1gb only, run smoothly
May 2, 2010 12:00:05 AM

- I also try each memory one by one for playing Tomb Raider, all of them run smoothly also when I use 2gg, but when it comes for 3gb always freeze at loading time.
- I tried change the BIOS for memory latency from 7-7-7-20 to 9-9-9-24 (as written on memory label), quite happy at first coz everything run fine even with Tomb Raider, suddenly it freeze again when Im burning CD to ISO
- Once it freeze I have to switch the memory location, if not it keeps freezing at startup
!