Sign in with
Your question

How does memory work for size in motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
April 30, 2010 2:34:25 AM

Hello,
I am sorry for what may be a simple question, but i have not found any clear information. I have an i7 asus ps6x58d-e mb, i am using kingston 1333 memory, from what i read, if i only place 2 chips in 2gx2 then this will run at dual channel, 3 or more chips then it will run triple channel.
My confusion is that when i put 3 2gig sticks in the bios and windows 7 64 only reconizes 2 gigs of memory. I then put in 3 more sticks to totally populate the board (6 slots) and the bios and windows only shows 4 gigs of memory.
I am running a i7 945 chip, stock, i have reloaded default settings, and still shows 4 gigs useable.
A friend of mine has also did the test with the same motherboard, and switched to a gigabyte board, which is also a x58 and he has tried different memory and different i7 chips. The memory has always been the same, 2 gig for 3 chips and 4gig for 6 chips.
Asus tried to tell me that it was the i7 processor, but i heard that it was a problem with x58 chipset.
so for short, should 3 2gig chips show 2 gigs? or should it be 6 gigs?

More about : memory work size motherboard

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2010 2:58:51 AM

3 sticks of 2GBs RAM should show 6GBs. You could have a poorly seated CPU, bent pins, or ... Please post a screenshot of the problem.

What BIOS version are you running?
m
l
May 7, 2010 7:10:28 AM

I am sorry i didnt go into alot of detail, so i will try to keep this short, and i would be greatfull for any responce that could answer my issue.
As of right now this is my setup
Asus P6X58D-E
8 gigs (2gig) in 4 slots 1333 stepped down to 1066
i7 940 chip
coolmaster water system
pny 250 ddr3 1024 video card

I have 7 sticks of ddr3 memory, kingston and the "M" which i dont remember what it is. They all have the same numbers, the difference seems to be where it was made, i believe a couple of the chips where from china, and a few from singapore.

with the factory settings, the best i could get was 4 gigs of memory, with all 6 slots populated. Prime95 ran for 5 hours with no errors and no heat issues. I then went into the memory settings and set the speed of the memory to 1066, and at one point it would reconize 10gigs, but prime 95 would crash within 5 mins. After more reading i set the memory from auto to "xms", this seemed to change voltages and some other things, and with the use of the probeII program, I had 3 chips (6gig) working togather. After some more swapping, I was able to have 8 gigs working (4 slots, 2gig sticks).
If i put in another chip, the memory size would reduce to 6 gigs, and then put in another it would reduce to 4 gigs (using 6 chips). If i pull those chips out, then I would get 8 gigs of memory again. This memory tested with prime95 for over an hour and i had no problems.

From my reading, and long hours trying to research these issues, and local people that help, this is not just with the Asus board, but the same problem has been with gigabyte too. This has been seen with my own eyes. What was common was that they both had 2 usb3 ports and 2 sata6 ports and both are running x58 chipset.

Boards have been replaced, same issue. Different processors tested, same issue. We even tried pulling out all the memory to get the error beeps to show that the mem controller is working.

I have read that this has not been a big issue using cosair memory, but this memory is on the printed manual as supported, and on the web site, that i am using.

I am trying to find, online, where someone has told me that it is a memory mapping issue, and it could be corrected with a rom update. But at this time i have not found the post again.

Asus tec support has told me that they still feel that my cpu is bad, or the memory controller is bad. I should rma my processor. I replyed that the odds of so many processors used, that we tested ourselfs, with the memory combinations that we have tried, would seem very unlikely.

so as of now, it seems that what i have will not work with factory defaults, an that memory has to be cosair, and their is a mapping problem.

sorry for the book, i hope this better explains and not confuses you more.

sorry, just caught this, i am using the latest bios and the only bios for this board, the gigabyte has had like 4 or 5 bios updates and it was using the latest bios for that board also.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2010 2:12:09 AM

ekoostik said:
3 sticks of 2GBs RAM should show 6GBs. You could have a poorly seated CPU, bent pins, or ... Please post a screenshot of the problem.

What BIOS version are you running?

I may not of responced directly to you thus not sending you an email about my question, if you see what i posted aftwards there may be the answer you where looking for.
I had recieved a email that this site has had some responces to my post, but there have been no more responces that I have found.

I would like to follow up with what i posted with the detailed information, if i should of done this all in another post, I am sorry.
I have also went through an read the stickys for memory and other problems, and see that they are outdated and need updated.

to answer you first question, there is only one bios for the motherboard when i purchased it and it is the latest and only one.

In other post, I have read to show alot of caution when placing the cpu, and follow instructions on type of memory supported and proper banks to put them in and the order to do this. This has all been done
In case i didnt put this in my long post, I am using kingston and micron 1333 ddr3 memory 2gig sticks. (these were not matched when purchased or purchased in a kit)
the chips were tested, and recorded to be the same, with what was reported from serial lookups to cpuz and other programs.
My testing was to first get the first 3 chips to work, and finally after setting my speed down to 1066 and the memory config to xms, I was able to get 6 gigs of memory to show and test fine. I placed another chip, and it would show 8 gigs fine. at this time i was getting excited that everything may actually work. Please note that i would do alot of testing after each chip so I was sure they are working togather. When i put in my 5th chip, I was showing only 6 gigs of memory, and from testing, it wouldnt even show that their was a chip in the socket. I rotated this with 3 more chips that I have, and they all did the same thing. For testing purposes, I put the 6th chip in, just to make sure that all 3 of the banks where full and see if it made a difference. When this was done, my system would only show 4 gigs of total memory, in the bios and in windows 7 64bit. When i pulled the last 2 chips back out, then I was showing 8 gigs of memory again.
Please realize that with the 8 gigs, i did even more extensive testing, I ran prime95 for over 5 hours with no problems, i tested the memory with the bios, i tested with OCCTPT 3.0.0, and the pcprobe2 that came with the board. everything passed. This could only tell me that my cpu was seated correctly, and this memory configuration was running correctly.

now later with probe 2, i noticed that the 4th socket i am to use for 8gigs of memory, was showing that their was not a chip there, the other 3 chips showed 2048, and the strange thing was that the 5th socket was also showing 2048, but that socket was empty, and the 6th socket showed empty. but everything was working. Again please remember i am placing chips in the order that i am directed with the book.

Asus wanted me to rma the board (second board) and was telling me that my cpu could be bad or the memory controller would be bad. From my reading there needed to be a update to the bios for remapping of the additional memory, their R&D dept couldnt replicate the problem so they considered there there was no problem.
I may of said this in my other post....but i pulled all my memory out and turned on my system....with no memory, you get an error of beeps, my information is that pretty much says that your memory controller is good and the cpu is good.

I have posted this issue on a few different forums, a few days ago, and i have read where others where having some of the same problems, and there where no answers that where posted for them either.

Final Summery:
I recieved an answer from a friend that runs a computer store local to me, and out of all the info that I have gathered, I feel the most confident with his answer, and I would like to share what the conclusion he had told me.
Memory has to be matched, if not, there is a greater chance that the memory is enough out of tollerance to work correctly on the system. Even if you have the same chips, same numbers, they can still give you problems. Now the numbers I am using is just for example, as I have no direct info to show verifaction.
Running 1333 ddr memory if all the chips are not within a 5% tolerance of each other they are not matched. You are running at fast speeds and the tolerance levels are lower to get what you want to work.
So the suggestions that come out are to set in your bios a slower speed then your chip is rated, this creates a greater tolerance we will say 15%, and more chips will be able to work togather then because you are allowed more room for tolerance!
I have also noticed that the faster chip you get, the more important it is to have matched memory because even with this being changed down to 1066, because of the memory is not matched, may not be enough to work, meaning you may need to set it to even slower to get your memory to all be reconized.
I will be working on trading or trying to exchange my memory, and probally some extra money, to get matched memory, and I will be able to confirm this. This will also show me if there really needs to be a bios upgrade or if there is something really wrong somewhere else.
I have also read where people have been having problem with motherboards that have 6 slots for memory, reason was because most bios were written to only address 4 slots. But again more testing will tell.

ty for tolerating all this info, I will be glad to post my results when I am able to continue with my testing.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2010 12:24:38 PM

Yes, matching RAM would be very helpful. You can get non-matching RAM to work together, but when it does not want to or when the specs on the RAM differ, it can be difficult. I would try to get RAM that was all the same kind.

Do you need that much RAM? For most people, 4 or 6 GB is enough.

One other test you could try - you say that 8GBs worked, but when you put in the 5th stick you had problems.

Let's say your 4 sticks were in slots 1, 2, 3, and 4. What if you then tried the 4 sticks in slots 1, 2, 3, and 5? What about slots 1, 2, 3, and 6? Do you see what I'm getting at? If it works with the 4th stick in one slot, but not one or two of the others, it would seem likely to be a motherboard problem.
m
l
May 14, 2010 7:09:54 PM

ok, i will try that too and see if it still works, that would show me that the next 3 slots are not needed in any order.
Other then that I am looking to get matched memory

as for the reason of the extra memory, i do alot of picture work, plus i do alot of film editing. I have also been known to have alot of task open at one time for the ease of switching back and forth between then easly. With the extra memory, this seems to work so much better, without it, i will loose alot of productive time waiting.

thank you for the reply and i will try that and see what happens and let you know.
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:40:42 AM

ekoostik said:
Yes, matching RAM would be very helpful. You can get non-matching RAM to work together, but when it does not want to or when the specs on the RAM differ, it can be difficult. I would try to get RAM that was all the same kind.

Do you need that much RAM? For most people, 4 or 6 GB is enough.

One other test you could try - you say that 8GBs worked, but when you put in the 5th stick you had problems.

Let's say your 4 sticks were in slots 1, 2, 3, and 4. What if you then tried the 4 sticks in slots 1, 2, 3, and 5? What about slots 1, 2, 3, and 6? Do you see what I'm getting at? If it works with the 4th stick in one slot, but not one or two of the others, it would seem likely to be a motherboard problem.

just wanted to say that i have not forgot you, i have been overloaded with work lately and 5 mins to change memory or 5 more mins of sleep, well lets say, sleep won :) 

sat i will be celebrating my 27th year of marrage to my wonderfull wife, and i am going to try the next weekend to visit a friend that also has had the same issue, but was able to test with just 3 4gig sticks and they all came up and worked fine. He wants to try them in my machine to see if they will work the same. If so then that will just leave to questions
1. is there a problem using more then 4 slots on this motherboard?
2. what are the standards to match memory? (serial numbers, cas, speeds, brands, manfacturers, ect...)

I will try to keep you informed of my findings, and hopefully it may help others that would be having some of the same issues.
m
l
!