System locks up after 20 minutes of gaming.

Shappo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Hi.

Here's some information of my computer.
i5 750
MSI P55 GD65
XFX GTS 250
G. Skill Ripjaws 4gb
Coolermaster real power pro 550w
Seagate baracuda 300gb
Windows XP Professional 32bit.

Anyhow.
The computer screen goes black after 20 mins - 30 mins of gaming.
Sound still plays (but in a freeze state).

I have downloaded the lastest drivers off nvidia, still no luck.

Suggestions?

Overheating of your graphic card. You should RMA or try a cooling alternative. If you got an open cooler, you should try to put a 120mm fan blowing fresh air on your cooler. It did the trick for me with my 4850s EAH TOP in crossfire.

edit : After reading that your system freeze, I think my first diagnostic was too fast. It sound more like a problem of power... but with a 250GTS, a 550W should be way enough...

It leaves the motherboard... go check MSI forums and do the latest BIOS flash, it could save you a lot of time.

Memory problems are almost always ending in Blue Screen Of Death. It also happen with a lack of power with a graphic card.

Also, this problem would occur even during times not playing games... which have been clearly notify to not be the case.

I agree with paperfox. This issue is often caused by under-volted RAM. Which exact G.Skill Ripjaws RAM do you have? All these match your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=g.skill+ripjaws+4gb&x=0&y=0

Have you manually set your RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?

Don't listen to the people here who tell you to randomly RMA parts until you determine which part is causing the problem. Start with ruling out the RAM and let us know how it goes.

Shappo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

That is my RAM. (The blue one).
I don't think it's the RAM :S

If anything the video card fan stops.

Shappo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks.

I'll be back in a couple day's with answers.

I'm going to test some more games too.
(Just to narrow down some possibilities, I really hope it's just the game ;P)

I do no think it is a heat issue either, but yeah i'll let you's know soon.