HDVR2 Grinding Noise

My HDVR2 DirecTivo has a second drive (from Weaknees). A few days ago, I
noticed it was running louder than usual, especially when busy ... it might have
been when heavier than normal disk access. IAE, the increased noise was just a
slight overall increase. After coming back from the weekend away, the HDVR2
sounded totally different ... a grinding noise, repeating at a fixed time
interval. It sounds like a PC harddrive when really being pushed hard (head
seeking?) or trying to re-read a bad block. I have noticed no functional
problems, other than the 30 second advance not working, which I could quickly
enable again. (The 8 second backup did work; I forget if that's a standard
feature or part of 30 sec advance.)

I also noticed the HDVR2 was running hotter than normal ... 49 degrees instead
of 39-40 degrees.

Suggestions? Is it time to replace the HDVR2 with an R10 (with drive upgraded
by Weaknees)? I would preferably want to avoid losing much of the 140 hours or
so currently recorded!

Thanks!

Dave

Dave Morgenlender
e-mail: dmorgen@alum.mit.edu
More about hdvr2 grinding noise

    In article <2h4rh1l00hdi8utu0okgmd9a0m9185j9ul@4ax.com>,
    David Morgenlender <dmorgen@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

    > My HDVR2 DirecTivo has a second drive (from Weaknees). A few days ago, I
    > noticed it was running louder than usual, especially when busy ... it might
    > have
    > been when heavier than normal disk access. IAE, the increased noise was just
    > slight overall increase. After coming back from the weekend away, the HDVR2
    > sounded totally different ... a grinding noise, repeating at a fixed time
    > interval. It sounds like a PC harddrive when really being pushed hard (head
    > seeking?) or trying to re-read a bad block. I have noticed no functional
    > problems, other than the 30 second advance not working, which I could quickly
    > enable again. (The 8 second backup did work; I forget if that's a standard
    > feature or part of 30 sec advance.)
    >
    > I also noticed the HDVR2 was running hotter than normal ... 49 degrees
    > instead
    > of 39-40 degrees.
    >
    > Suggestions? Is it time to replace the HDVR2 with an R10 (with drive
    > upgraded
    > by Weaknees)? I would preferably want to avoid losing much of the 140 hours
    > or
    > so currently recorded!

    Most likely drive problems, in which case a solution Will lose all your
    recordings.

    Since its running hot, also check the cooling fan, maybe its bearings
    went, or a cable is intefering with the extra fan on the weakness
    bracket. Sometimes folks replace the OEM fan and install the replacement
    backwards.

    Jack,

    Actually, the most recent drive was installed by Weaknees. I installed the
    first extra drive, which ran ok (& cool) for a year ot 2. Then I got the
    continual reboot problem. I sent it to Weaknees, so they could diagnose which
    drive was dead, and replace it. That was probably 1-2 years ago & it had been
    running fine since. So I doubt it's a misplaced cable. But a fan certainly
    could be bad.

    Now for the really strange part ... I went out for a few hours. When I came
    back a little while ago, the record light was on ... and it was quiet, i.e.
    sounding like before the problems started! It was as if a background defrag had
    been completed ... except I've read there's never such a thing on a Tivo! (I
    haven't yet checked to see that it's really working.)

    Dave

    Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >In article <2h4rh1l00hdi8utu0okgmd9a0m9185j9ul@4ax.com>,
    > David Morgenlender <dmorgen@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> My HDVR2 DirecTivo has a second drive (from Weaknees). A few days ago, I
    >> noticed it was running louder than usual, especially when busy ... it might
    >> have
    >> been when heavier than normal disk access. IAE, the increased noise was just
    >> slight overall increase. After coming back from the weekend away, the HDVR2
    >> sounded totally different ... a grinding noise, repeating at a fixed time
    >> interval. It sounds like a PC harddrive when really being pushed hard (head
    >> seeking?) or trying to re-read a bad block. I have noticed no functional
    >> problems, other than the 30 second advance not working, which I could quickly
    >> enable again. (The 8 second backup did work; I forget if that's a standard
    >> feature or part of 30 sec advance.)
    >>
    >> I also noticed the HDVR2 was running hotter than normal ... 49 degrees
    >> instead
    >> of 39-40 degrees.
    >>
    >> Suggestions? Is it time to replace the HDVR2 with an R10 (with drive
    >> upgraded
    >> by Weaknees)? I would preferably want to avoid losing much of the 140 hours
    >> or
    >> so currently recorded!
    >

    >Most likely drive problems, in which case a solution Will lose all your
    >recordings.
    >
    >Since its running hot, also check the cooling fan, maybe its bearings
    >went, or a cable is intefering with the extra fan on the weakness
    >bracket. Sometimes folks replace the OEM fan and install the replacement
    >backwards.

    Dave Morgenlender
    e-mail: dmorgen@alum.mit.edu

Tivo Home Theatre