Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Tips on my CPU and Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2012 3:51:11 AM

Hey,
I'm interested in overclocking a i7 870 to about 3.8 from it's stock values.
First off I ran EVEREST Ultimate System Stability Test at stock settings to make sure all is good with my system.
I'am using the i7 870 with the FOXCONN Inferno Katana MOBO (not the lesser GT one) with a Corsair H60 Liquid cooler
and temps stay at approx. 45C and never go higher than 49C so far at 30 minutes and I'm going to let it run for about an hour, are these really good temps?
I've read a few articles about OC'ing an i7 870 but I would prefer to hear from the experts.
Do you recommend I OC at all? I realize the risks and I have proper cooling.
Second, can anyone give me the easy way to do it and at what setting to achive 3.8 through the bios?
Thanks for your time guys...

Also I have,
16GB DDR3 Patriot 1333EL Series High Performance Gaming RAM
750 watt PSU if it matters

More about : tips cpu temps

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2012 6:32:23 AM

Personally I believe that there's no sense in getting watercooling if you're not going to overclock. Even though your CPU can probably handle everything you throw at him already we all want some more performance so I would go for it.
About the second part probably the easiest way is to raise the multiplier. If that's not possible raise the FSB (I think it's called something else on the i7 not sure tho)
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2012 5:33:58 PM

I believe the 870 is a BCLK overclock only and the multiplier is not unlocked. Bump that up in increments of 5 or 10 and then raise voltage as needed etc. Also, lower the RAM down to 1066 and let the BCLK bring it back up to 1333Mhz. Read some guides, but your cooling looks good and you should be able to get 3.8ghz if not more.
Related resources
March 8, 2012 11:16:55 PM

akxpckwb said:
Personally I believe that there's no sense in getting watercooling if you're not going to overclock. Even though your CPU can probably handle everything you throw at him already we all want some more performance so I would go for it.
About the second part probably the easiest way is to raise the multiplier. If that's not possible raise the FSB (I think it's called something else on the i7 not sure tho)

THNX :) 
m
l
March 8, 2012 11:17:27 PM

HostileDonut said:
I believe the 870 is a BCLK overclock only and the multiplier is not unlocked. Bump that up in increments of 5 or 10 and then raise voltage as needed etc. Also, lower the RAM down to 1066 and let the BCLK bring it back up to 1333Mhz. Read some guides, but your cooling looks good and you should be able to get 3.8ghz if not more.

THNX :) 
m
l
March 8, 2012 11:19:50 PM

Best answer selected by elocc86.
m
l
March 9, 2012 2:55:15 AM

HostileDonut said:

?
lol im new at this none of the guides for this mobo are any good.
my mobo came with this app i can use on desktop for oc'ing.

it says...
Intel Core i7 CPU
870 @ 2.93GHz
2940.66 MHz <(a slider that starts at lowest value reading 134 MHz)>
133.67 x 22.0

Memory: 1337 MHz

CPU
CPU Vcore:0.940 V < Disable>
CPU VTT: 1.120 V <1.109 V>

Chipset
PCH VCore: 1.070 V <1.057 V>
1.8V PLL <1.805 V>

Memory
DRAM: 1.620 V <1.598 V>
DDR3A <0.799 V>
DDR3B <0.799 V>

And a "apply" button
The < > means I can increase or decrease the value but I have no idea which ones to touch and which not to or how much on each?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2012 6:35:18 AM

It's better to overclock manually on the BIOS. You could use the app but the results would not be the best.
Also you want a i7 overclocking guide not a guide to overclock your motherboard. We have a good one in our forum http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/263043-11-1156-core...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2012 12:02:58 PM

You need a guide on the core i7, Not the board itself.

Also, I don't know why the Vcore was disabled. That is what gives the power to the CPU, so you need that. Make sure RAM voltages are correct, timings, speed, etc. Your BCLK is 134Mhz and your multiplier is 22. That gives you your 2.93Ghz. If you put the BCLK to 140 and use the multiplier (22) is would give you 3080Mhz.
m
l
March 10, 2012 1:23:53 AM

HostileDonut said:
You need a guide on the core i7, Not the board itself.

Also, I don't know why the Vcore was disabled. That is what gives the power to the CPU, so you need that. Make sure RAM voltages are correct, timings, speed, etc. Your BCLK is 134Mhz and your multiplier is 22. That gives you your 2.93Ghz. If you put the BCLK to 140 and use the multiplier (22) is would give you 3080Mhz.

so...
BCLK x 22= 3.80
then
BCLK x QPI Ratio=? ( how do I get the QPI ratio) is this whatever the lowest qpi link speed is?
then
BCLK x Memory Ratio? (i'm assuming memory ratio is 667, or is it 1333)?

Im supposed to set memory timings to specification of RAM?
Whats the memory timings? is this the frequency? which is 667?
example 140 x 32, where does the 32 come from? lol srry

Also it takes my pc like 5 minutes on the "shutting down" windows before it actually shuts down
so its gonna take foreveer to keep goin back into BIOS lol.
Not sure why it takes so long as theres barley anything on my PC except games and its always keep clean with Auslogics Boost Speed.
LOL im not tryin to be difficult but ive never OC'd a cpu just GPU which is so easy.
I appreciate any help
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2012 1:35:21 AM

elocc86 said:
so...
BCLK x 22= 3.80
then
BCLK x QPI Ratio=? ( how do I get the QPI ratio) is this whatever the lowest qpi link speed is?
then
BCLK x Memory Ratio? (i'm assuming memory ratio is 667, or is it 1333)?

Im supposed to set memory timings to specification of RAM?
Whats the memory timings? is this the frequency? which is 667?
example 140 x 32, where does the 32 come from? lol srry

Also it takes my pc like 5 minutes on the "shutting down" windows before it actually shuts down
so its gonna take foreveer to keep goin back into BIOS lol.
Not sure why it takes so long as theres barley anything on my PC except games and its always keep clean with Auslogics Boost Speed.
LOL im not tryin to be difficult but ive never OC'd a cpu just GPU which is so easy.
I appreciate any help

Haha! Yeah, no problem! :)  We all have to start somewhere.

Okay, so you have what is called a base clock, which is abbreviated BCLK. There is also a CPU multiplier. The BCLK x the multiplier gives you your CPU speed. So, my CPU has an unlocked multiplier, and my BCLK is 100Mhz. 100mhz BCLK x 45 gives me 4.5Ghz. For yours, you have 134Mhz BCLK x 22, which gives you your 2.9Ghz. Now, the QPI also has a multiplier. Some CPUs don't like it too high, so don't try to tune that much. I have heard of people getting it crazy high, like 9Ghz, but try to keep it near stock or a little higher. Honestly, I am no guru with QPIs though. DDR RAM is double data rate, so your machine may report 667Mhz in CPU-Z, but really, with double data rate you are running 1333Mhz. 667 x 2 = 1333.

Memory timings are basically how quick the RAM operates. The Speed like 1333Mhz is how fast the timings are. So two RAM sets may be 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24, and 1066 7-7-7-20 and be about the same in speed. The 1066 has lower timings, which is better, but a slower speed controlling those timings reducing them to the speed of the 1600mhz kit.

With your RAM, you also have a multiplier. Your RAM is supposed to run @ 1333Mhz, but by tuning the BCLK you tune the RAM too. That is why you may need to set the RAM to 1066Mhz in the BIOS, but your FSB will bring that RAM speed back up closer to 1333Mhz.

You asked where the 32 comes from. I think you meant 22. That is your CPU multiplier.
m
l
March 10, 2012 3:34:31 PM

HostileDonut said:
Haha! Yeah, no problem! :)  We all have to start somewhere.

Okay, so you have what is called a base clock, which is abbreviated BCLK. There is also a CPU multiplier. The BCLK x the multiplier gives you your CPU speed. So, my CPU has an unlocked multiplier, and my BCLK is 100Mhz. 100mhz BCLK x 45 gives me 4.5Ghz. For yours, you have 134Mhz BCLK x 22, which gives you your 2.9Ghz. Now, the QPI also has a multiplier. Some CPUs don't like it too high, so don't try to tune that much. I have heard of people getting it crazy high, like 9Ghz, but try to keep it near stock or a little higher. Honestly, I am no guru with QPIs though. DDR RAM is double data rate, so your machine may report 667Mhz in CPU-Z, but really, with double data rate you are running 1333Mhz. 667 x 2 = 1333.

Memory timings are basically how quick the RAM operates. The Speed like 1333Mhz is how fast the timings are. So two RAM sets may be 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24, and 1066 7-7-7-20 and be about the same in speed. The 1066 has lower timings, which is better, but a slower speed controlling those timings reducing them to the speed of the 1600mhz kit.

With your RAM, you also have a multiplier. Your RAM is supposed to run @ 1333Mhz, but by tuning the BCLK you tune the RAM too. That is why you may need to set the RAM to 1066Mhz in the BIOS, but your FSB will bring that RAM speed back up closer to 1333Mhz.

You asked where the 32 comes from. I think you meant 22. That is your CPU multiplier.

OK I changed BCLK to 140, QPI to the lowest value which was 4.270 GT/s and memory to 1067 and disabled turbo boost, thats all I touched so far.
Now how do I do the voltages or do I just leave them as is?
The guide is kinda confusing and im a little bit noobish hehe.
Everything seems good I rebooted just fine.
I got some snips of cpu-z and hw moniotor on my desktop but not sure how to show them to you here?

This is what "ALL Voltage Control" in my BIOS Reads...

CPU VCore Mode= Dynamic
CPU Target Core Voltage= Default
CPU VTT Voltage= 1.10V
CPU VCore PWM VDroop= Enabled
CPU Fuzzy Equalizer Control= Disabled
(Fuzzy Equalizer can control the CPU power phase)

Chipset Voltages
1.8V PLL Voltage Setting= 1.80V
P55 PCH Core Voltage= 1.05V

Memory Voltages
DRAM Voltage Setting=1.60V
DIMM 1,2 Vref C-Addr=0.80V
DIMM 3,4 Vref C-Addr=0.80V
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2012 3:51:30 PM

Looks good. So you are at 3.08Ghz right now. You can upload the CPU-Z image to Photobucket and then link the Photobucket page that has the image here.

Okay, so voltage is VERY important is overclocking. Adding voltage adds heat though! Adding voltage adds more heat that adding CPU speed. Also, voltage can kill the CPU if raised too high. The maximum voltage on that CPU is 1.4v, but I don't think you will need that much. I would try to stay under 1.35v.

Your CPU may need more voltage when overclocking to become stable. When you run Prime95 or OCCT you may get a crash. This is probably because your CPU voltage is too low for what speeds you are wanting it to run at. It's like asking a Honda Civic to drive 180Mph, it isn't gonna happen, but add some HP and a new strong engine, and you may be able to. You are asking your CPU to run too fast for the "engine" it has, but give it more voltage (or a new stronger engine), it may be able to run it.

So keep it mind, the lower the voltage, the longer the CPU life and the lower the heat. You are off to a good start. Don't go crazy on it either, just set it higher in levels of about .05v to get it stable if you get a crash. Also, this isn't just any voltage you can change, you will be changing the Vcore!

Hope that helps! :) 
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:16:15 PM

HostileDonut said:
Looks good. So you are at 3.08Ghz right now. You can upload the CPU-Z image to Photobucket and then link the Photobucket page that has the image here.

Okay, so voltage is VERY important is overclocking. Adding voltage adds heat though! Adding voltage adds more heat that adding CPU speed. Also, voltage can kill the CPU if raised too high. The maximum voltage on that CPU is 1.4v, but I don't think you will need that much. I would try to stay under 1.35v.

Your CPU may need more voltage when overclocking to become stable. When you run Prime95 or OCCT you may get a crash. This is probably because your CPU voltage is too low for what speeds you are wanting it to run at. It's like asking a Honda Civic to drive 180Mph, it isn't gonna happen, but add some HP and a new strong engine, and you may be able to. You are asking your CPU to run too fast for the "engine" it has, but give it more voltage (or a new stronger engine), it may be able to run it.

So keep it mind, the lower the voltage, the longer the CPU life and the lower the heat. You are off to a good start. Don't go crazy on it either, just set it higher in levels of about .05v to get it stable if you get a crash. Also, this isn't just any voltage you can change, you will be changing the Vcore!

Hope that helps! :) 

K heres that link http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii630/Eric_Charles_...
Also SPD page in cpu-z is greyd out now?
i ran everest for 20 minutes and no problem, just curious if it passes a stabilty test now why change the voltages?
says it running at 3.8 already?
thanks for the good help so far
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2012 4:33:35 PM

I would run Prime95 instead of everest, as I know Prime95 works and is very popular. Everest may be just as good, but I use Prime95, so I can help you a little better there.

The SPD page is greyed? Hmm. I don't know why that would be. Close CPU-Z and re-open it.

Your CPU is not running at 3.8Ghz, it is @ 3.08Ghz. To get 3.8Ghz, you will need 173mhz x 22. That will give you 3806mhz which is 3.806Ghz.

The next thing you should do is raise the BCLK up to 145 from 140. That will give you 3.19Ghz. Remember, raise the voltage .01v if you get unstable. I said .05v last post, but that was a mistake.

Under load, what is your voltage now?
m
l
March 10, 2012 5:35:37 PM

HostileDonut said:
I would run Prime95 instead of everest, as I know Prime95 works and is very popular. Everest may be just as good, but I use Prime95, so I can help you a little better there.

The SPD page is greyed? Hmm. I don't know why that would be. Close CPU-Z and re-open it.

Your CPU is not running at 3.8Ghz, it is @ 3.08Ghz. To get 3.8Ghz, you will need 173mhz x 22. That will give you 3806mhz which is 3.806Ghz.

The next thing you should do is raise the BCLK up to 145 from 140. That will give you 3.19Ghz. Remember, raise the voltage .01v if you get unstable. I said .05v last post, but that was a mistake.

Under load, what is your voltage now?

Aright so I went into BIOS and changed BCLK to 173 x 22 to get the 3.80 instead of 3.08
And to change VCore I changed "CPU VTT(uncore) Voltage" to 1.22 it was at 1.10V stock.Is this the proper one to change? There was no CPU VCore, anywho, when I rebooted it for some reason reset my BIOS to stock settings?
Probally because my MOBO has FOXCONN Function OverClock Recovery Enabled in case there is a problem
my PC will always work.
I'm starting to hate this 5 min. shutdown LMAO.
Also it says Max is 1.50V for my MOBO
The previous message has what my Voltages options are.
THNX
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2012 7:18:38 PM

VCC is Vcore, is there that option? VTT is different I think.

Don't just jump from 3.08Ghz to 3.8Ghz. That is not how to overclock safely. You need to up the BCLK in increments, not huge jumps. You can ruin hardware like that.

You have CPU Vcore option set to default. There is most likely an option for manual/fixed and offset, which should allow you to change them.
m
l
!