Sign in with
Your question

Apple mac pro grafic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 10, 2009 8:07:14 AM

Hello all
i have a mac pro with 2x 3ghz and a apple 24" cinema discplay. yesterday my grafik card broke ( or so i think ) every time i turn on something ( games, video and other heavy grafic demending apps... in this case world of warcraft ) it starts to make grafic errors and aften like 1 min it makes the computer freeze. that sounds like a broken grafic card right???

my question is : now i would like a new grafics card and i found alot of them out there, but can i really pick anything for a mac computer? i have been looking at HIS Radeon HD 5870 but i am not sure it works with my stationairy mac computer.

any adwise would be great.

best regards
Martin
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 4:27:36 PM

Unfortunately, you have to get a mac approved card; they carry a big price premium, and they're not always the most up-to-date. Newegg sells a few different ones, and you should be able to buy through mac if you need to.

To my knowledge, their isn't a mac version of the 5870 yet (and I don't know if there will be). The fastest mac card I have seen (a least on newegg) is the GTX 285 but it has since been deactivated (again, since the last time I saw it, which was a while ago, so it could be in stock now).
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 6:01:42 PM

^Which also means he won't have drivers
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 6:20:15 PM

pepperman said:
^Which also means he won't have drivers

From what I can tell there's no shortage of OS X drivers for any of the 4 series. I don't care to check any of the others.
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2009 6:21:58 PM

Is your computer still under warranty? Make them fix it if you can, no since in spending any more of your money fixing their defective product if you can avoid it.
!