Sign in with
Your question

Access Denied on new install of SATA drive

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2011 1:40:04 AM

Hello,
My motherboard failed on Vista system so I purchased new windows 7 desktop. New desktop came with two 1T SATA drives preconfigured as RAID. I wanted to get data files off of old Vista drive so I plugged it into spare internal SATA connection. Bios recognizes it, Win7 "sees" its properties, but every attempt to access drive gets "Access denied" or "drive not accessible". Attempt to take ownership w/admin also gets access denied. No device issues highlighted in device mgmr and tried swapping SATA cables/ports just in case it was hardware - it's just not accessible. I expected Win7 to just see new SATA drive with existing file structure as it had been on Vista pc before I pulled it (similar to way an external USB drive can be carried from system to system). Any suggestions?
a c 353 G Storage
September 22, 2011 2:23:24 AM

Your old HDD was probably set to IDE or AHCI, but your bios is set to raid.
The easest option would probably buy a cheap USB enclouser and put the HDD in that.

m
l
September 22, 2011 4:49:16 PM

RetiredChief said:
Your old HDD was probably set to IDE or AHCI, but your bios is set to raid.
The easest option would probably buy a cheap USB enclouser and put the HDD in that.

Since the desktop I pulled the harddrive from is toast, I have no good way to check configuration details were on the drive I'm adding. But BIOS sees the SATA drive I added as a "non raid" drive, assigns it it's own letter and name of "local disk". Issue is how to I make it accessible?
m
l
Related resources
!