Formatting HDD and not Showing Percentage?

hype88

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
First off, i'm using Windows 7 64 bit and i wanted to format a 1tb hdd i used in my last comp. as a secondary drive, which will also be used as a secondary drive on the new comp... the options i picked for formatting were ntsf, set allocation unit size to default and unchecked both options...

i first tried it last night and after about 8 or so hours it showed no progress or anything the entire time.. my comp was restarted and about 4 or so hours ago i did it again and so far to the exact same results.. the weird thing is in disk management it doesnt show the progress at all.. just states under status that its "Formatting"...

i've formatted a few hdd's in the past and it usually atleast shows the progression percentage.. i tried finding similar problems on here and google and couldn't come up with anything.. is there a reason its not showing it? or do i need to just wait a lot longer?.. im kind of unsure if its just a matter of waiting or if there's some kind of deeper problem...

would appreciate any feedback!

hype88

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
it's been about 48 hours now and it's still looking exactly the same.. no percentage shown and just says "Formatting" under status...

starting to get frustrating now.. if anyone can give me any kind of input on if i should just keep letting it go or maybe there's a legit problem going on?