Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SSD BSOD and Corruption

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2011 3:50:31 AM

I am having some pretty bad issues with the new SSD I purchased. I picked up an OCZ Agility 3 120 GB, because it was on sale. The drive is super fast, and Windows 7 installed in no time. However, I ran into some issues the next day that are making the drive all but unusable.
The SSD is the boot drive. I also have three mechanical hard drives installed. When copying data between two other drives, I received a BSOD. The BSOD mentioned fastfat.sys, and gave an error of kernel_data_inpage_error. After rebooting, the drive would not boot, no matter what I did. I could access the drive from another boot drive, but could not boot from the SSD. I ran an SFC scan on it, and Windows reported no errors.
I formatted it and reinstalled Windows, starting over. Later, I had the same issue, and I can't boot from it again. Both times were when I was transferring a large amount of files between two mechanical drives. This time, it restarted before I could read the BSOD.
At first, I thought maybe I had a bad drive, but I don't think it is a coincidence that it crashed under the same circumstanced both times.
Is there perhaps a setting or something I am missing that would cause it to become corrupt when doing that? Just to clarify, if the SSD is Drive A, it is happening when I am transferring a lot of files between two other drives, B and C, both mechanical.
The SSD is installed as Drive 0 on the SATA III interface, and the OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I enabled AHCI, disabled System Restore, disabled indexing, and the drive was mostly free (just Windows and a few programs).

Do I have a bad drive, or is there another explanation?

Thanks!

More about : ssd bsod corruption

Best solution

a c 503 G Storage
September 22, 2011 4:13:16 AM

Firmware version 2.13 was released today. Update to that and see if that resolves your issues. Also make sure your motherboard BIOS is the latest version.
September 22, 2011 4:58:51 AM

Dereck47 said:
Firmware version 2.13 was released today. Update to that and see if that resolves your issues. Also make sure your motherboard BIOS is the latest version.

I tried to update the firmware, and the OCZ utility says it doesn't need an update. The MB BIOS is updated.
Thank you for the reply.
Related resources
September 22, 2011 6:47:52 AM

This time, it wouldn't boot. I left it for a few hours and tried later, and it booted. A chkdsk came up with no errors, and it seems to be running fine. But I'm afraid to start copying any more files, in case it decides to die on me.
Anybody have any idea what might cause this?
September 22, 2011 7:01:25 AM

Welcome to the SSD world :(  i am wondering now if i am going to buy an SSD or not in this year. Probably your SSD it is going to die sooner or later, i suggest trying to install your OS only and keep your precious data on a HDD. If your SSD is going to fail then just use your warranty :) 
September 22, 2011 8:01:48 AM

crisan_tiberiu said:
Welcome to the SSD world :(  i am wondering now if i am going to buy an SSD or not in this year. Probably your SSD it is going to die sooner or later, i suggest trying to install your OS only and keep your precious data on a HDD. If your SSD is going to fail then just use your warranty :) 

Well, using the warranty is just fine. The issue is that I want an SSD that works. Haha. I am trying to figure out whether the SSD is defective, or perhaps I am doing something wrong.
a b G Storage
September 23, 2011 4:39:35 AM

Well, since you've not managed to solve the problem till now. I'd say lets try it all again.
Disconnected all drives from the rig.
Then reconnect just the SSD and the DVD Drive to the Mobo.
Install Windows 7, a clean install, use the disk options to erase all partitions and create on raw partition and then install Win7 on it.
Check to see if it installs and works without problems.
The few optimizations needed for the SSD need to be done pretty soon after the rig boots into Win7 for the first time itself. No Indexing, Caching, etc etc. Superfetch/Prefetch must also be disabled. Read thru the optimizing process of the SSD User Guide.
Then after you feel everything is fince and working perfectly and Win7 Is updated with all the Win7 updates till date. Shut down the rig connect one HDD to the sys and startup.
After it installs itself it might ask for a reboot, do it, then disable the pagefile on the SSD and set it on the HDD.
Reboot and continue working to see if it works fine.
Then connect the Second HDD and start work as normal.
The only thing I would like to state in all what I have said is avoid using any of the HDD in the Sata III Ports. Have only the SSD in the Sata III port.
September 23, 2011 5:19:36 AM

crisan_tiberiu said:

No welcome to the world of OCZ SSD's world. Even tho Intel is slower, quality wise its king. This is an issue with all new Sandforce based drives. I would stay away from any SSD rockin that new controller. Some people have had luck with the firmware updates but others dont.

Only thing you can do is RMA.
September 23, 2011 5:28:32 AM

Also you should go into the bios and change your sata settings from IDE to AHCI before installing windows.
a b G Storage
September 23, 2011 5:24:00 PM

go to the OCZ forums and get that drive running the latest 2.13 as Derreck already mentioned.

If that doesn't solve the issue then there are other proven workarounds to the underlying power mgmt issues going on between mobo and the SSD controller. 2.13 has now disabled partial slumber modes like the Intel drives(and others) and is certainly worth the effort to flash.
September 23, 2011 10:00:15 PM

The OCZ tools finally showed the new firmware, so I updated it today. I have had to reinstall Windows three times so far, and have had a few crashes where I was able to reboot after.
Since the firmware update, nothing just yet. I will make an update after I have had some time to test it for problems. Thanks for all of the help and advice guys!
Note: I am using AHCI, the drive is connected to a SATA 6g port, and the drive is the only connection to that controller.
September 23, 2011 11:38:08 PM

Well, I was able to copy about 200 GB of files between two other drives with no problems after the firmware update. I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch, but hopefully this is a good sign. I'll keep using it and see. No problems so far though.
However, I am getting some interesting benchmarking results. I have made every change and setting I have found regarding SSD performance, and this drive is not functioning anywhere near listed speeds.
The drive is listed at 525/500, and I am getting speeds closer to 200/100. Needless to say, this is not even close. We're looking at less than half the read speeds, and about 20% of the write speed advertised.
It also lists 195/75 4k random speeds, and I'm getting about 55/18.
Is that typical of this type of drive? It was less expensive, but I would not have purchased it if I had known those numbers were just totally falsified.
It does seem lightning fast compared to my old hard drive though. Haha.

Any ideas on this?
a c 503 G Storage
September 24, 2011 1:03:50 AM

Advertised speeds for OCZ drives are with ATTO & AS-SSD benchmark software.
The "up to" 525/500 speeds are with ATTO software.
September 24, 2011 2:08:12 AM

Dereck47 said:
Advertised speeds for OCZ drives are with ATTO & AS-SSD benchmark software.
The "up to" 525/500 speeds are with ATTO software.

Sure, I know it's "up to," but it is never coming anywhere remotely approaching those burst speeds. I used AS-SSD to obtain the test results that I gave before. I don't expect it to be coasting along at 500 MB/s all the time, but the results seem very low.
a c 503 G Storage
September 24, 2011 3:00:26 AM

Here’s the link to the spec sheet for your drive: http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Agility3_P...

AS-SSD speeds are up to 195MB/s Read and 130MB/s Write.
AS-SSD 4k 64 thread random speeds are 90MB/s Read and 140MB/s Write.
The 195/75 4k random speeds are with Iometer2008.

September 24, 2011 3:13:06 AM

Dereck47 said:
Here’s the link to the spec sheet for your drive: http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Agility3_P...

AS-SSD speeds are up to 195MB/s Read and 130MB/s Write.
AS-SSD 4k 64 thread random speeds are 90MB/s Read and 140MB/s Write.
The 195/75 4k random speeds are with Iometer2008.

Oh, nice link. Thank you. I haven't seen that document.
So I guess my results are only a little bit slow, and not as slow as I had previously thought. Seems like they are overstating the speeds quite a bit. Haha.
At any rate, thank you very much for the useful info. I was just worried that I was for some reason not reaching the full potential of the drive.
September 24, 2011 3:13:20 AM

Best answer selected by Caldrumr.
January 30, 2012 3:38:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!