The Sims 2: Think Small?

Last response: in Video Games
October 9, 2004 10:28:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around. Too
much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs harder to
fulfill.

Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack of
time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
practice...:)

--
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

More about : sims small

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 11:48:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I do the same. I like the look of the elaborate houses but they are hard to
play. It's easier either to have one floor or to have several floors in one
small area and switch from floor to floor.
"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
> I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
Too
> much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs harder
> fulfill.
>
> Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack
of
> time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
> practice...:)
>
> --
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)
>
> free the fish to reply

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 12:26:55 AM

SeaShel wrote:
> I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time
> around. Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and
> the needs harder to fulfill.
>
> Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my
> lack of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just
> need practice...:)

Very true. I am trying to make my community lots with as little NPCs as
possible. I specifically downsized my recently creations so the game is
more playable.

Ashikaga
October 10, 2004 12:28:26 AM

Kristy wrote:
> I do the same. I like the look of the elaborate houses but they are
> hard to play. It's easier either to have one floor or to have
> several floors in one small area and switch from floor to floor.

The exact reason why I try to cut down the number of floors and size of the
lot in my recent houses.

Ashikaga
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 1:53:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
>I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
>Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs
>harder to fulfill.
>
> Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack
> of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
> practice...:)

I don't have any trouble playing with large houses and many Sims. The two
sort of go together though as I have a lot of large houses because a good
portion of my Sims are trying for ten babies and need a place to put them
all. I do find I prefer to have the main action happening on the ground
floor so if the kids sleep on another floor or go up there to do whatever I
will queue up an order to return to the ground floor so I remember they
exist. Most of my houses have 8 sims and if they don't they are working on
getting to 8 by woohooing their brains out.

I nearly always played 8 Sim houses in the first game so that is what I am
used to.

Gareeth
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 2:40:21 AM

SeaShel wrote:
> I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around. Too
> much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs harder to
> fulfill.
>
> Anyone else finding this to be true

I enjoy the SIMS2 game more when my SIMS are few and the house is small.
Large families are very difficult to manage and enjoy. SIMS1 families
are slightly easier to manage, only because of all the groovy cheat
items available.

My theory is that when more cheat items are available to make the SIMS2
easier, then bigger families will be more manageable and more fun.

My wish list?

1) A hacked espresso machine that raises aspiration to platinum level
(or gold, at least).

2) A object that re-randomizes wants on demand.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 2:40:22 AM

ToolPackinMama wrote:
> SeaShel wrote:
>> I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time
>> around. Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower
>> and the needs harder to fulfill.
>>
>> Anyone else finding this to be true
>
> I enjoy the SIMS2 game more when my SIMS are few and the house is
> small. Large families are very difficult to manage and enjoy. SIMS1
> families are slightly easier to manage, only because of all the groovy
> cheat
> items available.
>
> My theory is that when more cheat items are available to make the
> SIMS2 easier, then bigger families will be more manageable and more
> fun.
> My wish list?
>
> 1) A hacked espresso machine that raises aspiration to platinum level
> (or gold, at least).
>
> 2) A object that re-randomizes wants on demand.

Yes, cheats! I really bit off more than I could chew by playing a family
with two parents, a child and a toddler, living in a three-floor house.
Whew! Cheats enable me to enjoy the social interactions w/o having to tell
them how to do the simple things, like putting off that oh-so-important SSX3
game to eat before dropping dead of starvation! ;)

--
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:21:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

SeaShel wrote:
<snip>
> Cheats enable me to enjoy the social
> interactions w/o having to tell them how to do the simple things,
> like putting off that oh-so-important SSX3 game to eat before
> dropping dead of starvation! ;)

I actually bought that game (SSX3) today, because it looked like fun
in the TS2 (and because it was cheap). Alas, not quite so fun in real
life, or at least, confusing, because it apparently assumes you've
played the first two games to know what you are doing.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:21:59 AM

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> SeaShel wrote:
> <snip>
>> Cheats enable me to enjoy the social
>> interactions w/o having to tell them how to do the simple things,
>> like putting off that oh-so-important SSX3 game to eat before
>> dropping dead of starvation! ;)
>
> I actually bought that game (SSX3) today, because it looked like fun
> in the TS2 (and because it was cheap). Alas, not quite so fun in real
> life, or at least, confusing, because it apparently assumes you've
> played the first two games to know what you are doing.

I have the first one, and it was already very difficult to control. I could
never get passed the second level.... It's a fun game, if I don't want to
win or anything. My hands get all tangled and my fingers got really hurt
playing games like that and Crazy Taxi. There are so many ergonomic
designed mouse, and I find the console controller can hurt people a lot
more.

Ashikaga
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:42:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:53:37 -0700, "Gareeth" <Gareethnews@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
>>I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
>>Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs
>>harder to fulfill.
>>
>> Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack
>> of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
>> practice...:)
>
>I don't have any trouble playing with large houses and many Sims. The two
>sort of go together though as I have a lot of large houses because a good
>portion of my Sims are trying for ten babies and need a place to put them
>all. I do find I prefer to have the main action happening on the ground
>floor so if the kids sleep on another floor or go up there to do whatever I
>will queue up an order to return to the ground floor so I remember they
>exist. Most of my houses have 8 sims and if they don't they are working on
>getting to 8 by woohooing their brains out.
>
>I nearly always played 8 Sim houses in the first game so that is what I am
>used to.

Wow, the most I've ever played in Sims 1 was 6, and I found that hard,
because I always want to know what everyone is doing. Most of my Sims
1 houses are one-story, and most of the families are no more than
three or four people.

BW
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 6:01:53 PM

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 18:28:51 -0800, SeaShel <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote:

> I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
> Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs
> harder to fulfill.
>
> Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack
> of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
> practice...:)

Probably your machine. I have two machines that run the game very
smoothly (except the insane loading times, which I use to maintain my
real-life body with food intake and waste elimination), but on the third
(a portable with Radeon Mobility) it is more like you describe.

My favorite family so far had five kids and two parents. The house had to
be largish to have room for them all (and the two bathrooms were none too
many). The main problem was that progress was slow: I would go into pause
mode frequently and never use accelerated speed. It was even rare for all
of the family to be asleep at the same time, so it took a lot of real time
for the kids tog grow.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 11:56:45 PM

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
> "Gareeth" wrote:
<snip>
>> I nearly always played 8 Sim houses in the first game so that is
>> what I am used to.
>
> Wow, the most I've ever played in Sims 1 was 6, and I found that hard,
> because I always want to know what everyone is doing. Most of my Sims
> 1 houses are one-story, and most of the families are no more than
> three or four people.

Yes, TS2 pushed me to play more than one family at once. When I was with
TS1, I always play just one family at once (I say that because sometimes I
would scrape the neighborhood and get another one, and still just focused on
one family there) and usually less than three people. In many ways, TS2's
needs are a little demanding.

Ashikaga
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:09:00 AM

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
news:o psfnk1fxbb52ai9@news.online.no...
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 18:28:51 -0800, SeaShel <seashel@boxofwsfish.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
>> Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs
>> harder to fulfill.
>>
>> Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack
>> of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
>> practice...:)
>
> Probably your machine. I have two machines that run the game very
> smoothly (except the insane loading times, which I use to maintain my
> real-life body with food intake and waste elimination), but on the third
> (a portable with Radeon Mobility) it is more like you describe.
>
> My favorite family so far had five kids and two parents. The house had to
> be largish to have room for them all (and the two bathrooms were none too
> many). The main problem was that progress was slow: I would go into pause
> mode frequently and never use accelerated speed. It was even rare for all
> of the family to be asleep at the same time, so it took a lot of real time
> for the kids tog grow.

Hi

I've a family of 8 at the moment, and its a nightmare to manage, especially
now theyve all got flu, and keep passing it back to each other...
I did hire the exterminator, but, like the other NPCs hes useless!
Got twins due to turn adults in 2 days, so they will be outta there, and may
take some others with them, as the game slowed to a crawl...

Julia
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 9:30:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Try re-setting your virtual memory (swap fileS) on the hard drive. A large
Virtual memory will speed the system up.

"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
>I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
>Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs
>harder to fulfill.
>
> Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack
> of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
> practice...:)
>
> --
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)
>
> free the fish to reply

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 12:47:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I'm gonna try this. I'll report back if it helps on my pc, thanks!
"Rick Fiorentino" <black_ravens@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Try re-setting your virtual memory (swap fileS) on the hard drive. A large
> Virtual memory will speed the system up.
>

> "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
> >I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
> >Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs
> >harder to fulfill.
> >
> > Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my lack
> > of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
> > practice...:)
> >
> > --
> > Michelle
> > (SeaShel)
> >
> > free the fish to reply

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 5:56:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Yep, this did speed things up. Not a lot but then I didn't increase the
size too much cuz I wanted to test it first. I'm going to increase the size
even more now.
"Kristy" <Wembeley@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm gonna try this. I'll report back if it helps on my pc, thanks!
> "Rick Fiorentino" <black_ravens@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Try re-setting your virtual memory (swap fileS) on the hard drive. A
large
> > Virtual memory will speed the system up.
> >

> > "SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
> > >I have learned to play TS2 with as little as possible this time around.
> > >Too much house or too many Sims make the game run slower and the needs
> > >harder to fulfill.
> > >
> > > Anyone else finding this to be true, or is it my computer and/or my
lack
> > > of time to play for more than a few hours a week? Maybe I just need
> > > practice...:)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Michelle
> > > (SeaShel)
> > >
> > > free the fish to reply

October 17, 2004 8:18:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

A good rule of thumb is to set the minimum and maximum to the same
size, anywhere from 2 to 2.5 times the amount of ram you have. The
reason for setting min. and max. the same is that it never has to take
time to resize itself.

!