Closed Solved

Black screen after initiating Windows Update

I Reinstalled OS a couple of days ago on my Win 7 64bit laptop, since a lot of files on my HDD were corrputed... Now, after reinstalling most of my programs and data, I go to play CoD2, and it was giving way lower FPS than usual. I couldn't try any other game because I hadn't installed any yet. So, I installed a high FPS config, and it didn't help, so I looked for solutions...I reset all CCC settings to default, and did something with DirectX etc (not sure if this fixed it or if it was just heat, or a program running). Even though the problem was gone, I already had Windows Update downloading, and it finished, so I ran it (game and browser window was still open). I selected ATI Mobility driver in the optional tab just for fun, on top of all the recommended ones, even though I already had the most recent one (from like December last year because it's the latest compatible for my laptop due to switchable graphics etc)...

It started installing, screen reset a few times, and then just went black and stayed there. Audio and everything is still running, but I'm left with just a black screen. Should I wait an hour or so, then force restart? Or what? Tried HDMI to TV, says no signal. :/

TLDR; Left with black screen while Windows Update started installing GPU driver etc, audio still running, scared to restart because I don't want to corrupt... What do?

Cheers
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about black screen initiating windows update
  1. Best answer
    Hi InfernoAUS, installing a graphics driver while still doing something graphically ( like playing a game is not good.

Bite the bullit and shutdown laptop, when you restart, check that graphics driver installed ok, if not download and install again.

Do not play a game or watch a video when installing a graphics driver, will almost always crash!!!

Will not really corrupt, the installation will just not complete properly, just shutdown and restart dude.
  2. Best answer selected by infernoAUS.
  3. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Windows Update Windows 7