ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Locking up intermittently on boot

bradbehrens

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
My system locks on boot about half the time (locked 9 of 20 times tested at different shutoff intervals).

This happens immediately after I hit the Power switch so it never even makes it to the BIOS screen when this happens.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

My System:

AMD Phenom II x4 BE965 3.4Ghz
Scythe Zipang 2 Heatsink 1000 RPM
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe MoBo
2x PICe x16 ATI Radeon HD4770 Cards in xFire
OCZ 120Gb SATA II SDD
Samsung 500Gb SATA II 7200 RPM Data Drive
Samsung Spinpoint CD-ROM Drive
Zalman 660W PSU
Antec P183 Case

bradbehrens

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Yes. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the Mobo and I even downloaded and installed the latest BIOS update from ASUS which just came out and resolved one issue that I had seen occurring with Windows Vista. I even reset the Mobo defaults by clearing the CMOS prior to that in an effort to resolve this issue.

BTW. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64 which is a whole other story (many driver and update issues with this OS).

- B

bbehrens

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Not much on responses here... I saw on another post that it means that you are doing everything right and there is not much anyone else can suggest to help you out.

Anyway, so I RMA'd the Mobo to Newegg.com after I did a suite of bare minimum tests and that seemed to eliminate all of the other hardware. A bit hard to test the CPU as it is an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE but I must assume that it is fine. I guess I will know for sure when I get the replacement Mobo. Besides, it was locking sometimes BEFORE it got to the BIOS screen which makes me think that it was the Mobo, otherwise it worked fine!

I will let you know what the outcome is on the new Mobo. ASUS makes some pretty solid and reliable stuff so I was reluctant to think that it was the MoBo but I have also seen SOME complaints on the ASUS MoBo's as well.

- BSB

pietpara

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Hi,
I seem to have the same problem.
System won't boot, not even get to BIOS screen or a startup beep. Case and CPU Fans try to start up but don't. The XFX HD5850 card runs its fan on and off in cycles. Tried another grfx card and same problem. I have a Zalman 750HP power supply so that should be plenty. CPU is a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (new stepping, lower power version).

Could you let me know if swapping the mobo solved it for you?

thanks
PietPara

G

Did you ever fix problem. I have the same problem. I have same motherboard and processor. What I found to be my problem is the mounting of my cooler. I put the Noctua nh-d14 cooler on my cpu. The mounting is cheesy and never felt entirely secure. If I disconnected power cable and lifted up on cooler slightly, hook power up and turn cpu on it worked fine. Usually a few days problem would come back. I eventually to spacers and put them mounting stub and mounting bracktet to raise it higher. With cooler laying flush on top of cpu mounting screw bracktet did not lay flat on mounting bracket. So far so good. So might want to make sure you don't have any play or slippage of any kind when cooler is tighten down. Hopes this helps.

Coop