Solved

How is my new computer? could use some comments/sugggestions

my budget is ~$300 canadian dollars (trying to keep it as low as i can without giving up too much)

planning to pick up soon:

Asus M3A78-EM Amd 780G Matx AM2+ PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI Sata Hdmi Video Sound Gblan 1394 Motherboard

link: http://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=KjpYqzmAd9vsTM2D&templete=2

Western Digital WD15EADS Caviar Green 1.5TB Sata 32MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive Oem

G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK PC2-8500 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 2.8GHZ 2MB Cache 65W Retail Box

the rest of the parts i already have

the PC is mainly going to be used for internet browsing and watching 720p/1080p HD movies/videos on my harddrive or on youtube

so, any comments? i was thinking i would be set for the time being and maybe in two/three years if i needed something more i could pick up some DDR2 RAM (possibly used, since DDR3 seems to be the norm now) and maybe a PCIe video card and a SSD drive and OC the CPU.

and one last thing, should i make the purchase this week or wait a bit more longer and hope for some pre-christmas sales/price drops in the next two months?:
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer comments sugggestions
  1. Look for the Athlon II X4 620 or Athlon II X3 435, both are too much better that the Athlon II X2 240
  2. never been to canada but if the term "Black Friday" rings a bell...I wld wait til then my friend...

if it doesn't...it's the friday or next day after thanksgiving...BIG SAVINGS!!!...long lines though...unless you buy from internet
  3. unfortunately we don't have black friday here in canada :cry: nor are computer parts as low priced as in the US

what would be the advantage of moving to triple core or quad core? i mentioned earlier that i mainly use firefox, so maybe watching a HD movie and running firefox at the same time can't be that CPU intensive?

here are the list of programs i usually run

windows (btw, i don't have aero on for my current system (old laptop), does aero take up a lot of resources in windows 7?
    kaspersky internet security
    firefox (possibly 30 to 100 windows open)
    ms word
    ms excel
    utorrent
    mp3 player
    HD 720p/1080p movies, MKV format (i dont have a bluray drive)
    HD on youtube

(maybe getting a HD TV tuner in the near future)

is dual core fine for the above set up OK? i could always do a little OC on the Athlon II X2 240 if needed. i'm just not sure if i require a triple/quad core CPU for what i do.
  4. a dual core fits your needs, you don't need triple/quad because you are just watching movies, browsing the net...not cpu intensive.
  5. Best answer
    The difference between a dual core and a tri core on ncix is $15 ca.

I couldn't get your link to work so I'm not sure of the prices on that site.

You possibly don't need more than dual core..but in the long run I think 3-4 cores it worth it if you can squeeze it into your budget for longevity.
    X3 425 $91
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45590&vpn=ADX425WFGIBOX&manufacture=AMD

MSI 785G $83 (78 w/ $5 MIR)
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=42196&vpn=785GTM-E45&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar
  6. i went with the triple core and 4gb of ram

everything works great
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product