Would you switch to ATI?

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hey, Guys!

Got a review here from Guru3D http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/15 there is no need to read the entire review--just looking at the comparison graphs will suffice (unless you are like me, and like to do as much research as you can on new products).

Check it out, the 5870 beats all the other single GPU cards--and even beats the dual GPU cards (4870x2 and gtx295) most times.

Now, I have always (and I mean always) used nVidia graphics in every machine I've built (and even my laptops). But seeing these new ATI cards come out cheaper than the nVidias, draw less power, and perform so well makes me begin to wonder if it is worth switching.

I intend to do a new build shortly, and I am beginning to toss around the idea of going ATI...I posted this in the nVidia side because the ATI forums would obviously say "go for ATI!" but I would like some input from fellow nVidia fans. Brand names aside, the ATI is clearly a higher performing card for less cash than the top of the line nVidias.

Suggestions?

Solution

That is because Nvidia hasn't released anything yet and they have nothing to say. Meanwhile back at the cave of justice, ATI brings out the 5870 awesomeness. There are also pictures of a 5870x2 (IE 5970) that have leaked. So the anticipation of that is in the air. Rumor has it, they are waiting for Nvidia to release and then bring out their big guns. Hopefully Fermi lives up to the hype. My fear it the cost will be so high, everyone will flock to the ATI cards, which by then will be out a while. ATI could give a slight price cut and even if it under performs the new Nvidia cards, the lower prices with encourage everyone to join the RED team.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
But seeing these new ATI cards come out cheaper than the nVidias, draw less power, and perform so well makes me begin to wonder if it is worth switching.

Also throw in DX11, you pretty much stated the exact reasons why other people buy the hd 5870. Only problem is finding one, they sell out like hotcakes.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

I was always Nvidia until I got a 3850 AGP for an old rig and a 4870 for my main machine about a year ago.

Haven't looked back since.

I won't be reverting to Nvidia any time soon.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Agreed, Paperfox!

Isn't DX11 going to be a software based upgrade though? In any case, the cards seem excellent--and when I am ready to order my new parts for the i7 machine I think I will have a hard time buying nVidia (unless the new GPU's are out by then..not likely though, probably doing my build soon).

Gurus numbers are often found to be lower on ATI than other sites as well.
If you dont want to wait, dont even know what price range Fermi will be, unlike AMD which has hiven us price ranges before release on the last 2 releases, I say go for it

If you are building now. I would go with the 5870. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now, and LOVE it. Awesome card and runs really cool for it being the OEM cooler. It also idles really cool and hasn't broken 75C on load yet.

I would say if you are building in the near future maybe wait until we see nvidia's new line up, but you can only get what is available at the time, right?

I never took a side, but the Red team really came through on the 4xxx cards last time. The green team has yet to shine in this round though.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I was really expecting the nVidia fanboys to bash me for treason here! ;) Personally, I have a bit of a dilemma on hand, I would say. I have always used, and loved, nVidia's great (albeit overpriced) products.

I will be certain to check back on this thread often, and post my thoughts--especially as I make final choices for my build coming up.

That is because Nvidia hasn't released anything yet and they have nothing to say. Meanwhile back at the cave of justice, ATI brings out the 5870 awesomeness. There are also pictures of a 5870x2 (IE 5970) that have leaked. So the anticipation of that is in the air. Rumor has it, they are waiting for Nvidia to release and then bring out their big guns. Hopefully Fermi lives up to the hype. My fear it the cost will be so high, everyone will flock to the ATI cards, which by then will be out a while. ATI could give a slight price cut and even if it under performs the new Nvidia cards, the lower prices with encourage everyone to join the RED team.

Solution

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I think, Jay2Tall, you are correct.

Even the 4870x2 is still a top performer amongst high end cards, and that is an older product.

As far as price/performance, the 5770 is the best sub $200 card out there (IMO). For a sub $300 it looks like the 5850 is the new boss.

ATI is going to be tough to beat here, even if nVidia can put out a better performing card--they will not be able to keep as many fans with ATI's prices being so much lower for the same (if not better) performance!

The thought of running the 5870 (or even the 5770!) in my i7 machine is sounding nicer by the minute..

That 5870x2 or whatever it's called is just rediculous, it might as well come in a bundle with a dremel and some grit paper since it wont fit in most cases.

Yeah, personally I think all dual cards are a bit ridiculous. Especially with the X58/P55 CF and SLI, it seems like a better and easier route to go with two separate cards. I wonder if they will be able to whittle down the length a bit by launch, otherwise I feel a storm of "my 5970 won't fit in my case!" threads when it comes out.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

QFT! They advertise is as being a foot long. Ok, for the standard enthusiast that may be acceptable (since modding or a very large case will be necessary)...but your everyday kid who wants the top of the line card to upgrade his system is never going to squeeze one of these behemoth's into their case!

I like "over the top" as much as the next enthusiast, and I'm pretty psyched to see that ATI likes "over the top" as well!

TRENDING THREADS