Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows XP
  • Start Menu
  • Classic
Last response: in Windows XP
April 27, 2012 3:15:13 PM

Hello,
In a previous install of XP Pro on my PC, I had CONTROL PANEL as an item in the upper section of the classic START menu. After this recent reinstall it is buried under SETTINGS in the middle section of the START menu. How can I add or move it to the upper section so it is instantly available to me?

More about : classic start menu add remove

April 27, 2012 3:32:13 PM

It should be in the settings section. You can create a new shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\Control.exe and copy that anywhere you want to open Control Panel.
m
l
May 7, 2012 7:30:29 PM

OK, I created a shortcut which is now on my desktop, but how do I get it into the upper section of the Start pop-up window?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

May 7, 2012 8:04:44 PM

Copy the shortcut to C:\Program Files\All Users\Start Menu, in the root of that folder.
May 8, 2012 2:29:44 PM

Right-click the start button and select properties. Click the customize button and look on the advanced tab. You should see control panel and option for display as link and display as a menu. take your pick.
m
l
May 8, 2012 6:47:58 PM

Best answer selected by Fred615.
m
l
May 8, 2012 6:50:33 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Right-click the start button and select properties. Click the customize button and look on the advanced tab. You should see control panel and option for display as link and display as a menu. take your pick.

When I click on Advanced, I just get a new window with the Explorer directory and the highlight is on my personal Start menu folder. Maybe Windows 7 works as you described? XP doesn't..

Thanks for the feedback.
m
l
May 8, 2012 6:51:22 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Copy the shortcut to C:\Program Files\All Users\Start Menu, in the root of that folder.

This worked fine..

Thanks......
m
l
!