Solved

DDR3 Memory Selection for Volts ?

Hello,

I have X58 Pro-E Mobo. It says on the site specs for Memory

"Supports six unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333*/1600* (OC) DRAM, 24GB Max"

Does that mean I can not buy any DDR3 memory that has volt > 1.5 listed in spec (1.65 volt, etc.) ?

Thanks,

P.S. Any recommendations for 4GB, budget $130

The memory I have not is GSkill and it is Bad. Both Windows and MemTest show problem with it.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ddr3 memory selection volts
  1. You can use RAM up to 1.65V but no higher. Have you set your RAM V and timings in BIOS? Please provide a link to your RAM.
  2. If (after doing what ekoostik said, checking settings) it is still showing errors, return the ram. In general GSkill makes excellent ram. However, all manufacturers have defective sticks now and then.
  3. ekoostik said:
    You can use RAM up to 1.65V but no higher. Have you set your RAM V and timings in BIOS? Please provide a link to your RAM.

Thanks,

You mentioned I can go up to 1.65V, where did you confirm that information? Was it on MOBO site?
  4. It is the official Intel Spec. Any higher can damage the CPU.
  5. Best answer
    I don't have the official Intel statement, but here is an article from back when the i7 came out (applies to i7/i5/i3):

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-i7nehalem-memory-voltage,6464.html
  6. 1.65 V is the highest for the 1366 and 1156 sockets.
    Here's the Intel Spec Sheet for the 1156 CPUs: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322164.pdf
    Table 7-6 shows that for "Processor I/O supply voltage for DDR3" the Min is 1.425V, Typ = 1.5, and Max is 1.575. However go back to Table 7-4 and you'll see the "Absolute Max" is 1.65V. (pages 68 and 67, respectively)
  7. Nice article thanks. I just wanted to make sure that it was not a mobo limit.

One last question and anyone can chime in. I just bought Corsair XMS3 4 GB memory

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
    Speed Rating
    PC3-12800 Tested Speed
    1600Mhz Size
    4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) Tested Latency
    9-9-9-24 Tested Voltage
    1.65 Performance Profile
    XMP
    SPD Speed
    1333Mhz SPD Latency
    9-9-9-24 Package
    240pin DIMM

Do I need to add a FAN for these modules? I am not a heavy gamer?

I just play Flight Simulator and X-Plane.
  8. No.
  9. Yep, DDR3 ram at those volts runs nice and cool. Almost all giant ramsinks and fans are just gimmicks.
  10. Best answer selected by stillupgrading.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3