RAM Timing, New system, I'm a novice

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I just got a brand new Alienware Aurora.
The specs.

-Intel Core i7 CPU 930 Quad Core Overlocked to 3.37Ghz
-9Gigs of DDR3 Triple Channel Memory (RAM Speed : 642.4 MHz (2:8) @ 9-9-9-24) <-- Can someone explain this to me? The 2:8, and the 642.4Mhz..
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 1.8GB with Direct X 11.
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
-LG 22Inch Widescreen Monitor connected Via VGA to DVI converter 1920-1080 resolution. Direct X 11.

Link to CPU-Z Scan http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1159579

The computer feels sluggish. I just upgraded from a single core P4 3.00ghz, 2 gigs of ddr2 ram, 150meg harddrive, to this after 5 years.

Are my expectations to high?

I ordered the computer overlocked as the standard timing with that cpu ordered was 2.80, and when it arrived it was at 2.80 so a guy at alienware talked me through overclocking it on the phone, did I perhaps miss a setting? Is the memory timing right.

When I described it to a friend he said the memory timing seems off. Yet I have no knowledge of how to adjust it, or scaled it, or even understand the data it describes.
12 answers Last reply
More about timing system novice
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    Well it looks a decent system too me,can you explain more about sluggish ? i mean is it sluggish in windows or games or other things ?
    Also although i think you already have done this but just to make sure,have you updated your windows 7 score ?
  2. It feels like there is just quite a bit of lag in bootup, as well as starting applications.

I am concerned abou the ram timing. I'm not sure what the DRAM timing should be with my memory. Several people have commented that it seems a bit slow. But I'm not sure how to respond to that.
  3. I think they are low because your CPU is OC'd and for OC'ng a CPU sometimes you can lower the RAM MHz and raise the timings.
    So the best thing is to reset your OC and set your RAM timings/speed/voltage manually in the BIOS.
  4. Perhaps I need to educate myself in what each ram timing specification means, and what its thresholds are. I have had trouble locating anything specific for the samsung memory online, nor do I know what its limits are.
  5. I don't mean to be a jerk but there is no DirectX 11 on a GTX 260. Sorry :(
  6. You're not a jerk. I can send you a screenshot of my dxdiag, or nvidia control panel if you would like. It says DirectX11
  7. PRAXEUM said:
    You're not a jerk. I can send you a screenshot of my dxdiag, or nvidia control panel if you would like. It says DirectX11

Perhaps you have a 470/480 instead of a 260, because the 470/480 are the only Nvidia graphics cards that support DirectX 11.
  8. Oh, I understand. I can see on the website that is a DX10 Card. What I am trying to figureout is why it says it is DX11 and that I have DX 11 on my pc...

Can that cause conflicts... should I do some sort of dx10 rollback?
  9. PRAXEUM said:
    Perhaps I need to educate myself in what each ram timing specification means, and what its thresholds are. I have had trouble locating anything specific for the samsung memory online, nor do I know what its limits are.

Maybe you can ask the guy who helped you to OC your machine ?
  10. PRAXEUM said:
    You're not a jerk. I can send you a screenshot of my dxdiag, or nvidia control panel if you would like. It says DirectX11

The reason is that you are using Windows7.
    in DXDIAG windows 7 reports DX11 even if you have a DX10 card(which in your case you have,GTX 260 is a DX10 card)so there is no conflicts/problems here
  11. Well that expains it then.

Also, the guy from alienware was rather useless on specific memory issues. He only really do about cpus, and he was reading it from a manual while I was on hold... so not a lot of hope there.
  12. Well download and install CPU-Z.
    And in "SPD" tab you can see the manufacturer and part number(which is the model number).
    Now find this model in the manufacturers site and you can see its specs there.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM