Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sean proved right again!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
September 6, 2005 8:07:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

The company withdrew earlier expectations to reach profitability by
the fourth quarter and expects a third-quarter loss of $20 million to
$25 million on revenue of $41 million to $43 million.


Sean

Tivo - Dead Company Walking (unless Comcast programmers can finish
training Tivo programmers to produce a good Comcast product. Oh, and
they'll have to get paid a decent amount per subscriber too.)
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:47:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>Odd that Directv is so aggressive about promoting their in-house box
>>that is *STILL* vaporware. Just how long do they expect to draw it out?
>>
>
>
> Where is DirecTV promoting their in-house box? The DVR I've seen
> promoted by DirecTV is the R10 which is a TiVo based DVR.
>
> The September billing insert shows the R10 on the front cover.
>

Only in business related press releases, not in customer oriented
literature. The press releases constantly mention how Directv is ending
their push of Tivo boxes, how they have an inhouse NDS box coming out,
etc. But you're correct that this has been oriented towards investors,
not customers.

Randy S.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:06:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Kurt wrote:
> In article <owtTe.1251$eQ7.210@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
>>The September billing insert shows the R10 on the front cover.
>
> The Tivo logo, and any reference to Tivo, is gone from all their current
> advertising.

I beg to differ. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp
has TIVO in the url, has TiVo in the <title>, and has the TiVo logo.
-Joe
Related resources
September 7, 2005 6:06:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <NqednY2W5fSeg4LeRVn-gg@comcast.com>,
Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:

> Kurt wrote:
> > In article <owtTe.1251$eQ7.210@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> >>The September billing insert shows the R10 on the front cover.
> >
> > The Tivo logo, and any reference to Tivo, is gone from all their current
> > advertising.
>
> I beg to differ. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp
> has TIVO in the url, has TiVo in the <title>, and has the TiVo logo.
> -Joe


Why isn't Tivo mentioned where a new customer will really see it?

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:

> Why isn't Tivo mentioned where a new customer will really see it?

So that it's easier for them to switch to their own DVR whenever it
finally makes it into the real world. Simple marketing. We know they
want to do their own DVR; there's nothing new there. By marketing it
now as "DirecTV DVR" it makes it easier to do the change (from a
marketing perspective) later.

--
Stephen Harris
usenet@spuddy.org
The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:54:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <NqednY2W5fSeg4LeRVn-gg@comcast.com>,
Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:

> Kurt wrote:
> > In article <owtTe.1251$eQ7.210@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> >>The September billing insert shows the R10 on the front cover.
> >
> > The Tivo logo, and any reference to Tivo, is gone from all their current
> > advertising.
>
> I beg to differ. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp
> has TIVO in the url, has TiVo in the <title>, and has the TiVo logo.

The various Fox Sports Net channels are carrying DirecTv ads for units
with TiVo.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:55:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <labolide-1D7135.10531207092005@news.giganews.com>,
Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:

> Who, besides anyone with an eagle-eye would even know that's a Tivo logo?
> And, besides the greyed-back disclaimer, none of the copy mentions Tivo
> in any way.
>
> I think they have to do this by legal arrangement with Tivo, since a
> units that currently ship out are Tivos.

Try watching a baseball game on Fox Sports Net and see the DirecTv ads
for TiVo.
September 7, 2005 10:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article
<jackzwick-C5200C.13552007092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <labolide-1D7135.10531207092005@news.giganews.com>,
> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Who, besides anyone with an eagle-eye would even know that's a Tivo logo?
> > And, besides the greyed-back disclaimer, none of the copy mentions Tivo
> > in any way.
> >
> > I think they have to do this by legal arrangement with Tivo, since a
> > units that currently ship out are Tivos.
>
> Try watching a baseball game on Fox Sports Net and see the DirecTv ads
> for TiVo.

I don't watch sports, but the ads that I see elsewhere don't have Tivo
mentioned. Why would that be?

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:25:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Stephen Harris" <usenet@spuddy.org> wrote in message news:2ilnfd.9el.ln@spuddy.org...
> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why isn't Tivo mentioned where a new customer will really see it?
>
> So that it's easier for them to switch to their own DVR whenever it
> finally makes it into the real world. Simple marketing. We know they
> want to do their own DVR; there's nothing new there. By marketing it
> now as "DirecTV DVR" it makes it easier to do the change (from a
> marketing perspective) later.
>

The DVR from DirecTV has been marketed as a DirecTV DVR for
some time. My Philips first or second generation DVRs don't
include TiVo in the product name on the front panel.
The DSR6000 is a "Philips Digital Satellite Receiver/Recorder"
and the DSR7000 is a "Philips DirecTV DVR".

The DSR6000 TiVo button has a TiVo guy image while the "TiVo"
button on the DSR7000 has the DirecTV cyclone logo.

The TiVo word was dropped from the DirecTV DVR User's Guide
title with the release of the second generation DVRs.

The usage of "TiVo" branding in on-screen menus has been significantly
reduced in the last several years of DVR software upgrades.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:06:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <labolide-FB6ACF.13475807092005@news.giganews.com>,
Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:

> In article
> <jackzwick-C5200C.13552007092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
> Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <labolide-1D7135.10531207092005@news.giganews.com>,
> > Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Who, besides anyone with an eagle-eye would even know that's a Tivo logo?
> > > And, besides the greyed-back disclaimer, none of the copy mentions Tivo
> > > in any way.
> > >
> > > I think they have to do this by legal arrangement with Tivo, since a
> > > units that currently ship out are Tivos.
> >
> > Try watching a baseball game on Fox Sports Net and see the DirecTv ads
> > for TiVo.
>
> I don't watch sports, but the ads that I see elsewhere don't have Tivo
> mentioned. Why would that be?

It's moot, ==> EVERY DVR <== DirecTv sells currently is a TiVo.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:07:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <labolide-E6D72C.14065807092005@news.giganews.com>,
Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:

> In article <NqednY2W5fSeg4LeRVn-gg@comcast.com>,
> Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
>
> > Kurt wrote:
> > > In article <owtTe.1251$eQ7.210@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> > >>The September billing insert shows the R10 on the front cover.
> > >
> > > The Tivo logo, and any reference to Tivo, is gone from all their current
> > > advertising.
> >
> > I beg to differ. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp
> > has TIVO in the url, has TiVo in the <title>, and has the TiVo logo.
> > -Joe
>
>
> Why isn't Tivo mentioned where a new customer will really see it?


It's moot. ***EVERY*** DVR from DirecTv is a TiVo
September 8, 2005 12:15:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article
<jackzwick-EEA15F.22063907092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <labolide-FB6ACF.13475807092005@news.giganews.com>,
> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <jackzwick-C5200C.13552007092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
> > Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <labolide-1D7135.10531207092005@news.giganews.com>,
> > > Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Who, besides anyone with an eagle-eye would even know that's a Tivo
> > > > logo?
> > > > And, besides the greyed-back disclaimer, none of the copy mentions Tivo
> > > > in any way.
> > > >
> > > > I think they have to do this by legal arrangement with Tivo, since a
> > > > units that currently ship out are Tivos.
> > >
> > > Try watching a baseball game on Fox Sports Net and see the DirecTv ads
> > > for TiVo.
> >
> > I don't watch sports, but the ads that I see elsewhere don't have Tivo
> > mentioned. Why would that be?
>
> It's moot, ==> EVERY DVR <== DirecTv sells currently is a TiVo.

Of course, for now.

My point is that they've begun to eliminate all references to it to
shift the brand visibility Tivo enjoys today to DirecTV's own brand.
It's a simple marketing ploy so that when they release their own, people
won't be asking for a "Tivo," but a "DirecTV DVR."

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
September 8, 2005 12:15:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <2ilnfd.9el.ln@spuddy.org>,
usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris) wrote:

> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why isn't Tivo mentioned where a new customer will really see it?
>
> So that it's easier for them to switch to their own DVR whenever it
> finally makes it into the real world. Simple marketing. We know they
> want to do their own DVR; there's nothing new there. By marketing it
> now as "DirecTV DVR" it makes it easier to do the change (from a
> marketing perspective) later.

This was my point.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:14:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Kurt (labolide@spacegmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> My point is that they've begun to eliminate all references to it to
> shift the brand visibility Tivo enjoys today to DirecTV's own brand.

They did this nearly 2 years ago. That was when the first DirecTiVos came
out that didn't have as obvious branding, and had software changes to
eliminate the larger TiVo logos. This was actually a good thing for TiVo
in some ways, in that it didn't eliminate the logos (TiVo-guy is still there
on all the sub-menus), but it did separate the devices from the much more
functional (in some ways) standalone boxes.

In addition, an in-house DVR wasn't even a gleam in DirecTV's eye at that
time.

Even today, the completely DirecTV-branded HR10-250 has a TiVo logo on the
front that is the same size as the ones on standalone TiVos.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/CatsAndDo...
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:47:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-09-08, Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
>
> My point is that they've begun to eliminate all references to it to
> shift the brand visibility Tivo enjoys today to DirecTV's own brand.
> It's a simple marketing ploy so that when they release their own, people
> won't be asking for a "Tivo," but a "DirecTV DVR."

If the new DirecTV DVR is as bad as we expect, everyone WILL be asking for
a "TiVo". They'll be returning their "DirecTV DVR" for a "TiVo" if they
can get away with it.

--
This is my .sig
September 8, 2005 9:20:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d8a2d6cee995ee8989f87@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Kurt (labolide@spacegmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > My point is that they've begun to eliminate all references to it to
> > shift the brand visibility Tivo enjoys today to DirecTV's own brand.
>
> They did this nearly 2 years ago. That was when the first DirecTiVos came
> out that didn't have as obvious branding, and had software changes to
> eliminate the larger TiVo logos. This was actually a good thing for TiVo
> in some ways, in that it didn't eliminate the logos (TiVo-guy is still there
> on all the sub-menus), but it did separate the devices from the much more
> functional (in some ways) standalone boxes.
>
> In addition, an in-house DVR wasn't even a gleam in DirecTV's eye at that
> time.
>
> Even today, the completely DirecTV-branded HR10-250 has a TiVo logo on the
> front that is the same size as the ones on standalone TiVos.

When I got mine over 2 years ago, they were avidly marketing it as Tivo,
which was smart since "Tivo" was a brand that was becoming to DVRs like
"Coke" was to soft drinks - especially since it had the eye of pop
culture. Tivo still has the brand recognition, but they're working hard
to downplay it.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 4:53:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <labolide-322A95.17205808092005@news.giganews.com>,
Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:

> In article <MPG.1d8a2d6cee995ee8989f87@news.nabs.net>,
> Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
>
> > Kurt (labolide@spacegmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > > My point is that they've begun to eliminate all references to it to
> > > shift the brand visibility Tivo enjoys today to DirecTV's own brand.
> >
> > They did this nearly 2 years ago. That was when the first DirecTiVos came
> > out that didn't have as obvious branding, and had software changes to
> > eliminate the larger TiVo logos. This was actually a good thing for TiVo
> > in some ways, in that it didn't eliminate the logos (TiVo-guy is still there
> > on all the sub-menus), but it did separate the devices from the much more
> > functional (in some ways) standalone boxes.
> >
> > In addition, an in-house DVR wasn't even a gleam in DirecTV's eye at that
> > time.
> >
> > Even today, the completely DirecTV-branded HR10-250 has a TiVo logo on the
> > front that is the same size as the ones on standalone TiVos.
>
> When I got mine over 2 years ago, they were avidly marketing it as Tivo,
> which was smart since "Tivo" was a brand that was becoming to DVRs like
> "Coke" was to soft drinks - especially since it had the eye of pop
> culture. Tivo still has the brand recognition, but they're working hard
> to downplay it.

In your eyes anyway. I still see DirecTv TiVo commercials anytime I
watch any sporting event.
September 9, 2005 1:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article
<jackzwick-11814C.19533608092005@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <labolide-322A95.17205808092005@news.giganews.com>,
> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <MPG.1d8a2d6cee995ee8989f87@news.nabs.net>,
> > Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Kurt (labolide@spacegmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > > > My point is that they've begun to eliminate all references to it to
> > > > shift the brand visibility Tivo enjoys today to DirecTV's own brand.
> > >
> > > They did this nearly 2 years ago. That was when the first DirecTiVos
> > > came
> > > out that didn't have as obvious branding, and had software changes to
> > > eliminate the larger TiVo logos. This was actually a good thing for TiVo
> > > in some ways, in that it didn't eliminate the logos (TiVo-guy is still
> > > there
> > > on all the sub-menus), but it did separate the devices from the much more
> > > functional (in some ways) standalone boxes.
> > >
> > > In addition, an in-house DVR wasn't even a gleam in DirecTV's eye at that
> > > time.
> > >
> > > Even today, the completely DirecTV-branded HR10-250 has a TiVo logo on
> > > the
> > > front that is the same size as the ones on standalone TiVos.
> >
> > When I got mine over 2 years ago, they were avidly marketing it as Tivo,
> > which was smart since "Tivo" was a brand that was becoming to DVRs like
> > "Coke" was to soft drinks - especially since it had the eye of pop
> > culture. Tivo still has the brand recognition, but they're working hard
> > to downplay it.
>
> In your eyes anyway. I still see DirecTv TiVo commercials anytime I
> watch any sporting event.

Fair enough.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 4:55:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> It's moot, ==> EVERY DVR <== DirecTv sells currently is a TiVo.

Who cares? The Direct deal is no more, not renewed, finito.

Who cares if Direct ships the last 1 Sept 10 or Jan 6, 2006???????

The current box is done and will eventually be moribund as new sats and
mpeg4 become defacto.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 9:10:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <-cSdnUxry8YUI7zeRVn-1A@giganews.com>,
"Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > It's moot, ==> EVERY DVR <== DirecTv sells currently is a TiVo.
>
> Who cares? The Direct deal is no more, not renewed, finito.
>
> Who cares if Direct ships the last 1 Sept 10 or Jan 6, 2006???????
>
> The current box is done and will eventually be moribund as new sats and
> mpeg4 become defacto.

A new DirecTv w/TiVo will work as it does the day of sale for years,
long after Comcast gives up its DVRs and moves to TiVo.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Tony D." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:-cSdnUxry8YUI7zeRVn-1A@giganews.com...
> > It's moot, ==> EVERY DVR <== DirecTv sells currently is a TiVo.
>
> Who cares? The Direct deal is no more, not renewed, finito.
>
> Who cares if Direct ships the last 1 Sept 10 or Jan 6, 2006???????
>
> The current box is done and will eventually be moribund as new sats and
> mpeg4 become defacto.

MPEG4 is not likely to "become defacto." MPEG4 will be used to deliver
HD channels not already available. There is no announced plan to
replace existing MPEG2 satellite signals with MPEG4 format only.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Jack Ak (akjack@excite.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > The current box is done and will eventually be moribund as new sats and
> > mpeg4 become defacto.
>
> MPEG4 is not likely to "become defacto." MPEG4 will be used to deliver
> HD channels not already available. There is no announced plan to
> replace existing MPEG2 satellite signals with MPEG4 format only.

There were also some specific (although insider) statements that the SD
channels probably will never be changed over to MPEG4...they'll just
fade away as everything goes to HD and every receiver is capable of
handling HD.

It seems that the reduction in bitrate isn't really much for SD material,
so the pain of doing the switch (and thus having to swap out all receivers)
is far worse than any small gain in bandwidth.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/TreeChainsaw....
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:36:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <1skUe.3810$LZ6.2153@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>,
"Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

> MPEG4 is not likely to "become defacto." MPEG4 will be used to deliver
> HD channels not already available. There is no announced plan to
> replace existing MPEG2 satellite signals with MPEG4 format only.

Why would DirecTv blithly discard satellites worth Billions of dollars
that are only capable of delivering MPEG2 ? They work wonderfully for
Standard Definition TV.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:36:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> MPEG4 is not likely to "become defacto." MPEG4 will be used to
>> deliver HD channels not already available. There is no announced plan
>> to replace existing MPEG2 satellite signals with MPEG4 format only.
>
>Why would DirecTv blithly discard satellites worth Billions of dollars
>that are only capable of delivering MPEG2 ? They work wonderfully for
>Standard Definition TV.

DirecTV would have to change satellites to switch to MPEG4?

Did they really put satellites up there that care what's being
transferred over them?

--
<script language="JavaScript">// Scott Seligman
for(var i=0;i<73;i++)document.write(String.fromCharCode(("lsYrsiwb7pir~~|=~fr"+
"~}Rvvrxv~Q}gx~}lz~wmwiqz|sq~tuBpNpzyvp@Lu[").charCodeAt(i)-("P2Y*!$1E5#()2*-"+
"#+##*)E!#-*1*1*$)*)+,:*$4!,.0.c0/!@R)cM8-$$=4=").charCodeAt(i)+32));</script>
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:36:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > MPEG4 is not likely to "become defacto." MPEG4 will be used to deliver
> > HD channels not already available. There is no announced plan to
> > replace existing MPEG2 satellite signals with MPEG4 format only.
>
> Why would DirecTv blithly discard satellites worth Billions of dollars
> that are only capable of delivering MPEG2 ?

Those satellites could start sending MPEG-4 signals today if DirecTV
wanted to piss off all their customers. The satellite transponders just
re-transmit the digital data stream that comes up to them...they don't
care what is in that stream.

Eventually, those satellites will be used for Ku-band MPEG-4, or else sold
off to some other company (probably only if that company isn't going to do
TV transmission).

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/Chainsaw.gif
!