Sign in with
Your question

NEED HELP WITH OVERCLOCKING

Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2012 8:52:49 PM

i have successfully clocked my q9550 to 3.6GHZ AT IDLE TEMP AT 55c but keeping it at 3.1GHZ but it only freezes at reboot just when auto programs load then i have to restart (reboot) and sometime it does not restart and have to completely shutdown then start. only when i keep it under 2.9GHZ it reboots properly. so works ok at but only freezes at startup. i don,t know y.
can some one please help me with this
i have g31m-gs motherboard, 4gb ram 800, 1 gb vcard, 500HDD stock intel cooler but getting new COOLER MASTER eve 212 HSF

More about : overclocking

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2012 10:16:23 PM

DONDD007 said:
i have successfully clocked my q9550 to 3.6GHZ AT IDLE TEMP AT 55c but keeping it at 3.1GHZ but it only freezes at reboot just when auto programs load then i have to restart (reboot) and sometime it does not restart and have to completely shutdown then start. only when i keep it under 2.9GHZ it reboots properly. so works ok at but only freezes at startup. i don,t know y.
can some one please help me with this
i have g31m-gs motherboard, 4gb ram 800, 1 gb vcard, 500HDD stock intel cooler but getting new COOLER MASTER eve 212 HSF

Welcome to Toms Forums. :) 

I am familiar with the Q9550 but not your M/BD. I googled it and it came up as Asrock. I hope that is correct. I looked at the manuel and see that you have limited options for OCing thou enough to go higher than stock.

First thing that I am concerned about is what cooler you are using with your CPU. Stock cooler will not do the job and your CPU will overheat and shut down, protecting itself.

I would keep your load temps in the mid 60s C for 24/7 operation.

Almost everyone who has this CPU can get 3.83 GHz stable if they have proper cooling and good hardware. :sol: 

March 8, 2012 10:45:08 PM

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLAY
So the problem i,m having is because of the cooler. I,m getting ok overclocking speed like i can take it to 3.5GHZ STABLE without any problem without freezeing but it only freezes at bootup and when i restart it i get the messege OVERCLOCKING WAS NOT SUCCESSFUL, im using ASROCK OC TUNER is this because of HSF i have ordered a new one COOLER MASTER evo 212
i just want it stable at about 3.2 ghz.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2012 12:55:42 AM

DONDD007 said:
THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLAY
So the problem i,m having is because of the cooler. I,m getting ok overclocking speed like i can take it to 3.5GHZ STABLE without any problem without freezeing but it only freezes at bootup and when i restart it i get the messege OVERCLOCKING WAS NOT SUCCESSFUL, im using ASROCK OC TUNER is this because of HSF i have ordered a new one COOLER MASTER evo 212
i just want it stable at about 3.2 ghz.

I OC in the BIOS cause M/BDs tend to over-volt the CPU causing un-nessary heat. I can set the voltages actually needed to run most any OC i want with miminal heat.

I would say if all you want is 3.2 GHz then you really should have no problem achieveing that 24/7. :sol: 
March 12, 2012 8:41:36 PM

just installed EVO 212 cooler, temps are really good with CORETEMP 37 38 49 49 (Q9550 ).
But still same issue can,t overclock over 2929 mhz. tried everything from bios it will just not boot if over this value.
Im thinking of getting new motherboard replacing the G31M-GS can you tell me a good one from asus or gigabyte in a range of £70. Can you please help me with this. Is there any like it has untied over clocking.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 1:48:13 AM

DONDD007 said:
just installed EVO 212 cooler, temps are really good with CORETEMP 37 38 49 49 (Q9550 ).
But still same issue can,t overclock over 2929 mhz. tried everything from bios it will just not boot if over this value.
Im thinking of getting new motherboard replacing the G31M-GS can you tell me a good one from asus or gigabyte in a range of £70. Can you please help me with this. Is there any like it has untied over clocking.

Just a thought here. What mulitiplier are you using to get 2929 MHz? I see 8 X 366 = 2928 but the stock multiplier for the Q9550 is 8.5. Some M/BDs are limilted (straped) to how high you could raise your FSB, with that being said if you use a 8.5 multiplier @ 366 FSB you get 3111 MHz.

Have you tried that as well? If so what FSB does it stop working for you? Might try looser timimgs on your ram.

As for your M/BD picks I do not care for either of them. I seached for something I would fell comfortable recommending but found nothing at ebay for you. :( 
March 13, 2012 12:09:34 PM

it stops working on 345 FSB i have looked into M/BO manual and setted the jumpers to FSB1066 (pin1 & pni2) for overclocking but still no luck. before upgrading CPU i was OC e7400 at 3.2GHZ stable.

I will spend £100 if there is a good M/BO.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 2:50:51 PM

Quote:
it stops working on 345 FSB i have looked into M/BO manual and setted the jumpers to FSB1066 (pin1 & pni2) for overclocking but still no luck. before upgrading CPU i was OC e7400 at 3.2GHZ stable.

Bummer. Dual cores OC a lot easier than Quads. Some times your PSU could be not up to the task for the Quad.

At any rate that last M/BD you linked should work fine assuming you have the power to run it. :sol: 
!